Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: Alfie, December 28, 2018, 10:41am
Surprised to see no posts on here praising the Board for backing Michael and Anthony after a terrible start to the season and what looked like some very questionable transfer business.

The Fishy has a shorter memory than a tadpole but after six straight defeats, the vast majority on here were calling for change before that Carlisle game. The Board stuck behind the Management when it counted and they have turned it around. Easier to call them out for getting it wrong but credit due when they get it right IMO. We would be in a right mess now.

Looks like he will be backed again in January. Here’s to a good New Year period and looking up rather than down for once.
Posted by: ska face, December 28, 2018, 10:58am; Reply: 1
I think praise and gratitude is in short supply after nearly two decades of shite heaped upon never ending shite. We’re still lower mid-table in League 2 but currently enjoying a good run to mirror the bad run earlier in the year.

Plus we all remember being in a better position at this point last year and still only avoiding relegation by the skin of our teeth, so perhaps the board might have to wait another few months before we start carrying them aloft on our shoulders.
Posted by: Meza, December 28, 2018, 11:00am; Reply: 2
Yeah for me It wasn't personal it was cos I don't want us to get relegated after all our youth system would go back to square one.  I'm glad he's turned it around.  You can see the amount of chopping and changing to find a winning formula did more harm than good. Now he has a consistent team things are looking better.  Injuries haven't helped.  I would say a few teams would struggle if they got the injuries we had.  Look at Lincoln let's see how the 2nd half of the season goes for them if injuries start to take a toll.
Posted by: Alfie, December 28, 2018, 11:07am; Reply: 3
Quoted from ska face
I think praise and gratitude is in short supply after nearly two decades of shite heaped upon never ending shite. We’re still lower mid-table in League 2 but currently enjoying a good run to mirror the bad run earlier in the year.

Plus we all remember being in a better position at this point last year and still only avoiding relegation by the skin of our teeth, so perhaps the board might have to wait another few months before we start carrying them aloft on our shoulders.

Town fans all too quick for calling them out. Ultimately, they got the Jolley appointment right and then backed him when most would have sacked him.

Certainly not going to be in any New Years honours lists but just humorous how many Town fans have got very short memories. Jolley was public enemy number 1 after that Morecambe home game when he was the Messiah about six weeks earlier.
Posted by: Bigdog, December 28, 2018, 11:11am; Reply: 4
Yeah, we all remember the wise sages in the board room confidently openly saying that MJ will come good. I would guess that they had the same nervous feelings as the rest of us after six straight defeats. I'm not sure it was the vast majority that wanted him sacked anyway, I'm pretty sure most were losing a bit of faith but still thinking he needed more time however vocal the few were in wanting him sacked.

And this backing MJ in the transfer window claim. Let's get this straight once and for all. The board are not personally backing him. They are merely distributing the cash they receive from the EFL and us the supporters. And with players going out of the door, this looks more like a redistribution of budget rather than extra funds and we should be giving MJ the credit for this rather than the board as he is in charge of the playing squad.

Let's wait until the board do something that we can definitely praise like announcing a new stadium or something rather than trying to build a spurious case built on very little or no evidence whatsoever..
Posted by: Cloudy, December 28, 2018, 11:19am; Reply: 5
Quoted from Bigdog
Yeah, we all remember the wise sages in the board room confidently openly saying that MJ will come good. I guess that they had the same nervous feelings as the rest of us after six straight defeat[td]
s. I'm not sure it was the vast majority that wanted him sacked anyway, I'm pretty sure most were losing a bit of faith but still thinking he needed more time however vocal the few were in wanting him sacked[/td][b][/b].

And this backing MJ in the transfer window claim. Let's get this straight once and for all. The board are not personally backing him. They are merely distributing the cash they receive from the EFL and us the supporters. And with players going out of the door, this looks more like a redistribution of budget rather than extra funds and we should be giving MJ the credit for this rather than the board as he is in charge of the playing squad.

Let's wait until the board do something that we can definitely praise like announcing a new stadium or something rather than trying to build a spurious case built on very little or no evidence whatsoever..

It was no where near the majority of fans calling for Jolley to go although many thought the board would react based solely on past performance.
I agree the board aren’t backing Jolley merely presiding over the distribution of income ( personally I am happy with that)
Posted by: HertsGTFC, December 28, 2018, 11:31am; Reply: 6
"Shut up" !

Those two words perfectly describe our board regardless of a recent hard earned good run from MJ and his players.
Posted by: golfer, December 28, 2018, 11:40am; Reply: 7
Not another go at the board FFS.-It's Christmas.
Posted by: TheRealJohnLewis, December 28, 2018, 11:43am; Reply: 8
Credit where credit is due and at the moment no credit is due to the board only MJ and the players.
Posted by: Rodley Mariner, December 28, 2018, 12:08pm; Reply: 9
Hardly anybody wanted him out did they? I certainly didn't.
Posted by: FishOutOfWater, December 28, 2018, 12:38pm; Reply: 10
To me it would be like praising the Tories for deciding to “end” austerity after years of screwing everyone over....they won’t be getting any show of gratitude from me
Posted by: headingly_mariner, December 28, 2018, 12:40pm; Reply: 11
Quoted from Alfie

Town fans all too quick for calling them out. Ultimately, they got the Jolley appointment right and then backed him when most would have sacked him.

Certainly not going to be in any New Years honours lists but just humorous how many Town fans have got very short memories. Jolley was public enemy number 1 after that Morecambe home game when he was the Messiah about six weeks earlier.

Give over it’s hardly time to get the bunting out we are 14th. I’m thrilled with the way we are playing at the minute and am really enjoying the development of our own young players.

Let’s have it right though, Jolley was nowhere near first choice at a time the board had put the club in a disastrous position with very few options. It’s also worth noting that pre season was an utter disaster, a lack of games and preparation must surely have contributed to our poor start.

We also have a very thin squad and injuries are beginning to expose it. This is not a squad that represents a budget any different to one that we’ve always had. If anything it’s smaller.

Absolutely thrilled that we seem to be on the up. Suggesting our upturn is due to the masterminding of the board is a huge stretch.
Posted by: FishOutOfWater, December 28, 2018, 12:42pm; Reply: 12
Quoted from golfer
Not another go at the board FFS.-It's Christmas.

I thought Christmas was the perfect time of year for board games Golfer   ;)
Posted by: jimgtfc, December 28, 2018, 12:43pm; Reply: 13
Hindsight is a cheap and easy way of pointing the finger. The fact is we’d lost 6 games on the trot, hardly scored a goal all season and looked awful, traits we’ve seen all too often in the last decade and a half, and people are quite within their rights to question those at the top. I’ll admit I thought it wasn’t going to work out for MJ at the time despite wanting him to succeed. I’m also now very happy to be proved wrong, but it could so easily gone the other way. But I suppose it’s fair play to the board for sticking with him, let’s hope they can back him in the next 2/3 transfer windows and move us forward. Football is a fickle business and can change in a couple of games, a look at the bigger picture is a more accurate reflection.

Luckily it feels like we are slowly getting our club back, a young side with a bit of passion in it, local lads getting a shot in the squad and results on the pitch to match. Let’s hope this is just the start of something.
Posted by: TheRealJohnLewis, December 28, 2018, 12:45pm; Reply: 14
If the board can give that fuckBucket Slade 6 million games without a win then they can afford Jolley more than 6 losses in a row.  
Posted by: grimps, December 28, 2018, 1:27pm; Reply: 15
Any manager that loses six games on the bounce is going to have questions asked , Maybe we was lucky our board wasn’t very trigger happy but we’re still in the bottom half of the 4th division which isn’t good enough for me .
The difference is that we can all see improvement plus the youth team seems to be producing for the first time in decades .
Most will be happy with a mid table finish this season ,Next season we’ll be expecting a lot more
Posted by: ska face, December 28, 2018, 1:56pm; Reply: 16
It’s the job of the board to convince fans to believe in the vision that is shared by the management and those in the boardroom. That’s as important (if not more) than getting the management and playing staff to understand where fans are coming from.

The board hadn’t managed it at the start of the season, and I said at the time it felt like they were hanging Jolley out to dry by not backing him vocally with the long-term plan he obviously had, and that they bought into at the back end of last year.
Posted by: Poojah, December 28, 2018, 2:24pm; Reply: 17
For a manager of a side languishing at the bottom of the table on the back of six straight defeats, any voices of discontent were pretty muted if I recall. I think most people remained behind MJ but reluctantly recognised that a couple more defeats would have been the end for him. Not many managers survive seven or eight defeats on the bounce.

In general, the board probably do deserve some credit for keeping a steady hand on the trigger when it comes to sacking managers - managers do tend to get a fair crack of the whip here. Notts County have had three managers this season, and that’s not entirely working out. Of course, that’s not withstanding the fact our recruitment has often been so wretched in the first place.
Posted by: pontoon442, December 28, 2018, 4:36pm; Reply: 18
Fifteen years of failure, this board has to go (thats Fenty really) whatever happens this season, I hope Jolley go's on to do great things with us, but that will only happen if he gets real backing from an ambitious board. Remember Hurst wanted to go on for promotion but Fenty wanted his money back from selling Bogle, his own bottom pocket came first as always, Tory austerity has been a total failure everywhere its been tried, Fenty's got to go...
Posted by: TAGG, December 28, 2018, 4:45pm; Reply: 19
I supported Jolly.
So what.
Alfie stick ye tong back in ye mouth.
Posted by: Alfie, December 28, 2018, 5:04pm; Reply: 20
Some very selective memories on here...

https://forum.thefishy.co.uk/Blah.pl?m-1538237101/s-all/
Posted by: Bigdog, December 28, 2018, 5:17pm; Reply: 21
Quoted from Alfie

I read the whole of that thread again and out of around 40 posters, 4 were calling for him to go. Surely after six defeats on the bounce it isn't surprising that a few would want him sacked. The vast majority didn't want him sacked unlike the vast majority who wanted Slade sacked two months before he did.

What point are you trying to prove? Because I can't see any axe to grind here at all..
Posted by: Civvy at last, December 28, 2018, 7:59pm; Reply: 22
Quoted from Alfie

Some very selective readers on here.

Try reading the whole thread. Or even counting the red crosses against those screaming for him to go.

Of course people were worried, but he still got more support than most would in that position. And as it turns out, rightly so.
Posted by: Hagrid, December 28, 2018, 9:12pm; Reply: 23
The board will get my thanks when they finally intercourse off. Until that day no nothing. Get your head out the sand
Posted by: Marinerz93, December 28, 2018, 9:58pm; Reply: 24
Quoted from Alfie
Surprised to see no posts on here praising the Board for backing Michael and Anthony after a terrible start to the season and what looked like some very questionable transfer business.

The Fishy has a shorter memory than a tadpole but after six straight defeats, the vast majority on here were calling for change before that Carlisle game. The Board stuck behind the Management when it counted and they have turned it around. Easier to call them out for getting it wrong but credit due when they get it right IMO. We would be in a right mess now.

Looks like he will be backed again in January. Here’s to a good New Year period and looking up rather than down for once.

[img]https://i.imgur.com/B6wME83.gif[/img] Own goal there buddy.

Short memories, I've been following Town for decades and this last couple of decades under your mates has seen me have flash backs to Nam and I've never been to fcuking Nam.
Posted by: KingstonMariner, December 28, 2018, 10:17pm; Reply: 25
I was in 'Nam. I lost some good friends there. Twickenham. drunk as farts we were.
Posted by: promotion plaice, December 28, 2018, 11:00pm; Reply: 26
Quoted from Alfie

Seeing as you are quoting my thread it is how I felt at the time as I only want the best for Town and we were on a really bad run, Jolley is now turning things around and so he has my full support and long may it continue.......it's a funny old game.

Posted by: moosey_club, December 28, 2018, 11:32pm; Reply: 27
The time for judging is at the end of the season...not after a run of poor results or after a run of good results....we are currently worse off points wise than we were last season...the squad is looking terribly thin right now.....we have in the last couple of weeks again released ineffective players from contracts.. yet people seem happy with where we are !!

I think its fairly easy to presume that Jolley has had a lower budget than Slade got last year, the pre season chat was of a smaller but quality squad but looking at the squad now, we have got a reduced number with higher percentage of younger players compared to last year... who i am not sure will be on larger wages than those last year so i am guessing he has spent less overall so far.

The forthcoming window, given the defensive injury situation, now looks like being more of a rescue the situation window as opposed to adding some nice to have players  window....considering we have got rid of two already and now signed one in Ring we are one lighter in numbers squad wise...so Jolley should be able to have another incoming without effecting the budget too much.....but what will he be allowed after that ? 2/3/4 further players ? I also think Fox will be released in this window so if that makes 3 out then to strengthen the squad Jolley would really need 5 in.

Will the board sanction that ?
Posted by: promotion plaice, December 28, 2018, 11:41pm; Reply: 28

Anyone heard how Elliott Whitehouse is coming on regarding his injury ?
Posted by: moosey_club, December 28, 2018, 11:58pm; Reply: 29
Quoted from Marinerz93

Short memories, I've been following Town for decades and this last couple of decades under your mates has seen me have flash backs to Nam and I've never been to fcuking Nam.

ImmingNam ?
Posted by: fishboyUTM, December 29, 2018, 12:02am; Reply: 30
Quoted from Marinerz93

I'm going to 'Nam tomorrow, my first visit. I'll give them your regards.
Print page generated: May 1, 2024, 12:51pm