2 Pages 1 2 Next All Recommend Thread
1mickylyons
December 14, 2018, 7:04am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.53
Rep Score: +42 / -14
Approval: +9,383
Gold Stars: 56
Suprised it hasn`t been mentioned or apologies if I have missed it elsewhere but his tweets and ideas for the future of the game and in particular Prem U23 player`s. He got quite a bit of air time on Sky Sports News yesterday and loosely he was suggesting a draft pick of Prem U23 players by the lower league Clubs along the lines of what the NFL do with the Prem Clubs footing the wage bill . He then went on to be (I thought) quite critical of the checkatrade in terms of the minutes it was actually affording these younger players and he didnt think the games were overly competative making the point if they were loaned out they youngsters would play proper football all year.Some other bits and bobs around how it would work but to me this sort of fresh thinking approach would certainly create some interest and Clubs like Town would get two quality additions for zero cost.Anyone catch it or have an opinion?
Logged Offline
Private Message
promotion plaice
December 14, 2018, 7:19am

Posts Per Day: 3.85
Rep Score: +20 / -13
Approval: +17,048
Gold Stars: 197

Yeah I did see it.......looking at what he said you can tell Peterborough are in League 1........

"The players from the Premier League's top 10 would be available to the 24 League One teams and bottom 10 to League Two sides".

When Leeds trainer Les Cocker was once told Norman Hunter had broken a leg, he asked: “Whose is it?”
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 15
Poojah
December 14, 2018, 7:55am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +29,493
Gold Stars: 1,500
I actually suggested something very similar to this on here  a couple of months ago:

https://forum.thefishy.co.uk/Blah.pl?m-1536139866//id-1268404#num16

Quoted Text

Now, there’s a lot I don’t like about American sport (not least the franchising aspect) however they have created a far more equal competitive environment over there than we have in world football.

One aspect which helps here is the draft system, whereby each team takes it in turns to select from the cream of rookie talent that year. Crucially, the least successful team from last year gets the first pick of each round whilst the winner picks last, resulting in much more balance over time.

This isn’t perfect, because it rewards failure and punished success which doesn’t seem right, so how about this?

Loan draft system

- Each Premier League side designates 4 top young players to be made available to League One clubs, and 4 to League Two, with all costs covered.

- 6 out of those 8 players must be eligible for a home nation team.

- The club in each division with the lowest wages to revenue % the previous season gets the first pick of each round, while the biggest overspender picks last.

- Loan players cannot be recalled, but may be replaced by another player from that club if a long-term injury occurs

So, big clubs get to blood their youngsters, frugal lower league clubs are rewarded with the best young players at no cost, whilst it also dissuades others from spending far more than they can generate (a la Scunny) which is a long-term recipe for disaster.

Could that work?

For me it makes a lot more sense than the current ‘solution’.

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 15
1mickylyons
December 14, 2018, 7:58am
Special Brew Drinker
Quoted from Poojah
I actually suggested something very similar to this on here  a couple of months ago:

https://forum.thefishy.co.uk/Blah.pl?m-1536139866//id-1268404#num16

For me it makes a lot more sense than the current ‘solution’.

Totally agree it`s got to be a way forward and errrrrr can The Fishy now be credited with influencing other Clubs?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 15
Ipswin
December 14, 2018, 8:29am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.10
Rep Score: +44 / -47
Approval: -3,552
Gold Stars: 89
Was more interested in this

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/46546484

PMSL, couldn't happen to a nicer bloke

On bended knee is no way to be free - Peter R de Vries

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse.....=public_profile_post
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 15
Tommy
December 14, 2018, 8:52am
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.22
Rep Score: +60 / -15
Approval: +8,865
Gold Stars: 76
I don't see the Prem clubs being in favour of this as they'd have no say in where their young kids go. I'd imagine they'd prefer to send a player of theirs to a club they know will look after them and whose playing philosophy might relevant to them.

It also wouldn't help Clubs that really do look after young players on loan and really help develop them. I mean if we do it with Embleton and others too, we start to get a reputation in football circles and the bigger clubs become happy for their potential stars to come here for a few months/a year. We would've earned that. A draft system just gives everyone that same level of privilege.

I'd much rather not have anything like an American draft system. Just cap the squad sizes better at the top level so they can't hoard so many players. That's the reason they don't all play, because they've taken so many players on (because they can afford to) in the hope that one turns out to be the next Messi.

"The greatest mistake you can make in life is to continually be afraid you will make one."
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 15
1mickylyons
December 14, 2018, 9:19am
Special Brew Drinker
Quoted from Tommy
I don't see the Prem clubs being in favour of this as they'd have no say in where their young kids go. I'd imagine they'd prefer to send a player of theirs to a club they know will look after them and whose playing philosophy might relevant to them.

It also wouldn't help Clubs that really do look after young players on loan and really help develop them. I mean if we do it with Embleton and others too, we start to get a reputation in football circles and the bigger clubs become happy for their potential stars to come here for a few months/a year. We would've earned that. A draft system just gives everyone that same level of privilege.

I'd much rather not have anything like an American draft system. Just cap the squad sizes better at the top level so they can't hoard so many players. That's the reason they don't all play, because they've taken so many players on (because they can afford to) in the hope that one turns out to be the next Messi.

Whilst I agree with you in regards to Clubs like Town getting a good name for how they aid developing youngsters being well thought of. DM was angling to Razz things up a bit for L1 and L2 Clubs something I suppose like the deadline day but with substance ?On that again I agree with him it will certainly cause a lot of publicity and for Town to get a couple of quality players at zero cost is a good thing. The Prem Clubs should benefit in so much these youngsters would be playing competitive football for a full Season which in theory at least should make them more ready for playing football higher up the pyramid. Of course sadly as we have all have seen for years very few make it at such a level and so this would help show prospective suitors what these players are capable of rather than signing them blind.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 15
pen penfras
December 14, 2018, 9:34am

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.66
Rep Score: +8 / -9
Approval: -127
Gold Stars: 71
I'm not sure it's much different to what we have right now, except trying to force the situation. Most clubs in the Premier League, and even leagues below, will let their young players go out for free in order to get match experience. The problem is that they want to guarantee that their players are playing regularly, but it's impossible to know if that player will actually be any good in a real football match until he's tried. I feel most of these players would end up sitting on the bench because most managers don't give youth a chance and don't play players who aren't necessarily up to the physical level of older players.

I'd like to see closer ties between top and lower league clubs such as facilities and coaching sharing in addition to loaning young players. That way both clubs get to benefit from each other. Not sure it helps us with our location, but other clubs would get a lot more from having a partnership.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 15
immariner
December 14, 2018, 9:43am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.67
Rep Score: +20 / -4
Approval: +3,411
Gold Stars: 60
Quoted from Tommy

Beat me to it with this bit. Someone used the phrase yesterday (which I rather like) 'sledgehammer to crack a walnut', which I think fits here. Just as with the U21 sides in the Checkatrade, I wouldn't be for anything that marks the PL clubs as "special". In a meritocratic system, they are simply the clubs that happen to be at the top table at any given time (and not always for long). NFL, NBA, MLB teams are "special" by their nature as franchises and having the same teams every year. The players are also drafted from an external competition, college football, and not drafted between clubs. So in such a draft system, lower league clubs would essentially be deferring to PL clubs' academies as the best places to nurture talent and there would be little need for anyone outside the championship to have a youth system at all.

In short, the PL teams need to be curbed and not rewarded for stockpiling young talent.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 15
1mickylyons
December 14, 2018, 10:10am
Special Brew Drinker
Quoted from immariner

Beat me to it with this bit. Someone used the phrase yesterday (which I rather like) 'sledgehammer to crack a walnut', which I think fits here. Just as with the U21 sides in the Checkatrade, I wouldn't be for anything that marks the PL clubs as "special". In a meritocratic system, they are simply the clubs that happen to be at the top table at any given time (and not always for long). NFL, NBA, MLB teams are "special" by their nature as franchises and having the same teams every year. The players are also drafted from an external competition, college football, and not drafted between clubs. So in such a draft system, lower league clubs would be deferring to PL clubs' academies as the best places to nurture talent and there would be little need for anyone outside the championship to have a youth system at all.

In short, the PL teams need to be curbed and not rewarded for stockpiling young talent.

Sadly money talks and taking Bournemouth and comparing them to Town who are a similar sized Club historically I bet since we both stayed up in terms of finances from football revenue gained I bet weve had something like 3-4M IN and they would have easily had 20 times that amount? Their business model if that`s the right word is clearly working and many Clubs like Town are miles behind for whatever reason so they clearly need a different approach or the gap will just keep on growing. I see Town has having real potential however so many huge Clubs between us and the Prem it`s very unlikely we could ever get there with everything in our favour. Most Clubs are surviving and it`s a pretty sad state of affairs when more than half the Prem teams dont attempt to win either domestic cup in favour of preserving league status due to finance.It`s a business not a sport and it`s very difficult for us fans to accept

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 15
2 Pages 1 2 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Peterborough Chairman

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.