Grim up north
December 15, 2018, 11:22pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.13
Rep Score: +10 / -2
Approval: +688
Gold Stars: 1
Quoted from 1mickylyons

Sadly money talks and taking Bournemouth and comparing them to Town who are a similar sized Club historically I bet since we both stayed up in terms of finances from football revenue gained I bet weve had something like 3-4M IN and they would have easily had 20 times that amount? Their business model if that`s the right word is clearly working and many Clubs like Town are miles behind for whatever reason so they clearly need a different approach or the gap will just keep on growing. I see Town has having real potential however so many huge Clubs between us and the Prem it`s very unlikely we could ever get there with everything in our favour. Most Clubs are surviving and it`s a pretty sad state of affairs when more than half the Prem teams dont attempt to win either domestic cup in favour of preserving league status due to finance.It`s a business not a sport and it`s very difficult for us fans to accept

Their business model works a lot easier when it's backed by a Russian Billionaire.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 15
Bigdog
December 16, 2018, 1:37pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +36 / -1
Approval: +11,802
Gold Stars: 162
Quoted from 1mickylyons

Sadly money talks and taking Bournemouth and comparing them to Town who are a similar sized Club historically I bet since we both stayed up in terms of finances from football revenue gained I bet weve had something like 3-4M IN and they would have easily had 20 times that amount?
Their business model if that`s the right word is clearly working and many Clubs like Town are miles behind for whatever reason so they clearly need a different approach or the gap will just keep on growing. I see Town has having real potential however so many huge Clubs between us and the Prem it`s very unlikely we could ever get there with everything in our favour. Most Clubs are surviving and it`s a pretty sad state of affairs when more than half the Prem teams dont attempt to win either domestic cup in favour of preserving league status due to finance.It`s a business not a sport and it`s very difficult for us fans to accept

With it being their fourth season in the Premier League, it's more like 100 times the amount we've received. Roughly 100 mill a season nowadays for mid-table..
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 15
Helgy
December 16, 2018, 3:55pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.18
Rep Score: +14 / -3
Approval: +118
Quoted from 1mickylyons

Sadly money talks and taking Bournemouth and comparing them to Town who are a similar sized Club historically I bet since we both stayed up in terms of finances from football revenue gained I bet weve had something like 3-4M IN and they would have easily had 20 times that amount? Their business model if that`s the right word is clearly working and many Clubs like Town are miles behind for whatever reason so they clearly need a different approach or the gap will just keep on growing. I see Town has having real potential however so many huge Clubs between us and the Prem it`s very unlikely we could ever get there with everything in our favour. Most Clubs are surviving and it`s a pretty sad state of affairs when more than half the Prem teams dont attempt to win either domestic cup in favour of preserving league status due to finance.It`s a business not a sport and it`s very difficult for us fans to accept

Think the gap between each division has grown L2 TV money is low ,L1 is about £500k more but think the Championship you get £12.million.

L1 is a tough division and you definitely need a backer to get out of it o0r be able to build a squad  Accy did that but only because there are so many teams in that area if players are settled and don't want to move then clubs like Accy are ideal for them.
Even in L2 you have to spend not only big but wisely to get out of it.
Swann puts in a big wedge but this season the team has flopped and staring relegation his statement would more than likely divide the fan base than unite it.
Clubs in the main have no money and a local population that would rather follow a prem team than watch their own Town/City.
Football clubs need the fanbase uniting behind them and to also  attract in investment its a fine balance.
At Lincoln we had for years tried to get the fanbase onside and to be fair it was working but once the Cowleys came it was on steroids ,they went out and engaged with the fan base great times.
So you need to work on all angles not just get investment in but the whole community ethos needs to be persued.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 15
Cloudy
December 16, 2018, 4:20pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.14
Rep Score: +17 / -8
Approval: +6,431
Quoted from Helgy

Think the gap between each division has grown L2 TV money is low ,L1 is about £500k more but think the Championship you get £12.million.

L1 is a tough division and you definitely need a backer to get out of it o0r be able to build a squad  Accy did that but only because there are so many teams in that area if players are settled and don't want to move then clubs like Accy are ideal for them.
Even in L2 you have to spend not only big but wisely to get out of it.
Swann puts in a big wedge but this season the team has flopped and staring relegation his statement would more than likely divide the fan base than unite it.
Clubs in the main have no money and a local population that would rather follow a prem team than watch their own Town/City.
Football clubs need the fanbase uniting behind them and to also  attract in investment its a fine balance.
At Lincoln we had for years tried to get the fanbase onside and to be fair it was working but once the Cowleys came it was on steroids ,they went out and engaged with the fan base great times.
So you need to work on all angles not just get investment in but the whole community ethos needs to be persued.

Competing in League 1 will be difficult even for Lincoln. 8-9k gates make any team relatively small fry.
Investment from outsiders is not only difficult to attract but you have to question motives too. Small town, or even small cities, are left behind in modern day football. Huge sums required to compete, like Swann’s alledged £300k PER MONTH yet they struggle and fans become hostile.

I can only think the best way is to try and build slowly with limited speculation. Otherwise you are risking your very existence.

It’s a tough world

Private Message
Reply: 13 - 15
moosey_club
December 16, 2018, 5:20pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.71
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,239
Gold Stars: 226
Quoted from Ipswin
Was more interested in this

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/46546484

PMSL, couldn't happen to a nicer bloke

Storm in a tea cup.....ermmm ....so you are not saying he is innocent then ?

Will be interesting to see how that pans out....in favour of Fry i imagine.

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWLLDWLWLW
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 15
Helgy
December 16, 2018, 5:41pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.18
Rep Score: +14 / -3
Approval: +118
Quoted from Cloudy

Competing in League 1 will be difficult even for Lincoln. 8-9k gates make any team relatively small fry.
Investment from outsiders is not only difficult to attract but you have to question motives too. Small town, or even small cities, are left behind in modern day football. Huge sums required to compete, like Swann’s alledged £300k PER MONTH yet they struggle and fans become hostile.

I can only think the best way is to try and build slowly with limited speculation. Otherwise you are risking your very existence.

It’s a tough world

Agree with that under no illusions about  L1.The step up from the Conference was big enough.
Average wage bill i think is around £3.5 million in L1 its a very tough division.

If we went into L1 i'd hope our stay was limited to the one season and then promotion.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 15
2 Pages Prev 1 2 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Peterborough Chairman

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.