3 Pages Prev 1 2 3 Next All Recommend Thread
moosey_club
December 2, 2018, 6:25pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.70
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,243
Gold Stars: 226
we are in the draw so thats what counts but thought we made far too hard work of it....first half we sat off them far too much and gave them some belief/ confidence...our goal was out of the blue as we hadnt created anything.
Second half again slow start but picked up, especially after the 2nd goal.

Quite amusing to have the whole ground singing " you're getting sacked in the morning" to MadDog Allen.

MOM for me Collins..very solid and calm distribution from the back.

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWLLDWLWLW
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 27
chaos33
December 2, 2018, 6:42pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +17,929
Gold Stars: 360
Quoted from Cloudy
A tough physical battle for most part. They had a few big uns but little idea. Typical non league battlers, there is a significant difference between the Conference and League 2 these days!😉

We were no great shakes in the first half when Fox and Collins were our best performers. Couldn’t get hold of it in midfield were only Hessenthaler was on it.

Vernam goal gave us a foot hold and the longer it went on our ‘footballers’ began to take control. Clifton really came to the fore along with Embleton after a quiet first hour and in the end we outclassed them and could/should have had more.

Hope we get a decent draw, hope it isn’t Gillingham or even Luton. Got a feeling we are going to Middlesbrough🤪

Hehe. Strange. I've also got  a feeling we'll get Middlesbrough away!

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 27
forza ivano
December 2, 2018, 8:03pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 2.46
Rep Score: +72 / -20
Approval: +15,172
Gold Stars: 265
Quoted from moosey_club
we are in the draw so thats what counts but thought we made far too hard work of it....first half we sat off them far too much and gave them some belief/ confidence...our goal was out of the blue as we hadnt created anything.
Second half again slow start but picked up, especially after the 2nd goal.

Quite amusing to have the whole ground singing " you're getting sacked in the morning" to MadDog Allen.

MOM for me Collins..very solid and calm distribution from the back.

Completely agree. Can't imagine jolley was very happy with most of that performance
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 27
Mallyner
December 2, 2018, 8:37pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.60
Rep Score: +9 / -2
Approval: +2,515
Gold Stars: 23
Quoted from SpudUDontLike
Concur with Barra's summary - a very satisfactory afternoon, made even better for me by finding myself next to and chatting with Brian Hill, Town winger in the sixties, full of stories about legendary players from Town and elsewhere. A lovely bloke.

One of the best games I have been to was when we beat Scunny 7-1 in the 60s and Brian Hill went past defenders as if they were wearing lead boots.

Supporting Town for 65 years.  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 27
HertsGTFC
December 2, 2018, 8:41pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.26
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,909
Gold Stars: 228
A really good win maybe not in terms of performance but in terms of learning for what is in reality a young team but one that week by week look like they are  growing in competence, ability, creativity confidence and unity, I so hope that MJ doesn't  lose any of the current stable starting 11 in January.

MJ has talked about mental strength and today all the work the coaching staff are doing on that kind of thing was evident as under Bignot, Slade and even earlier this season we'd have capitulated against the onslaught that we faced n the first 20 mins.

I also thought that MJ out thought Allen today as they clearly had a plan to move us around to try and make us lose "us shape" but despite that and the standard first half Macca hero moment we stood the test and went in with the lead, deserved? Not undeserved as we'd done a professional job.

To be fair the 2nd half started much like the first half but in reality with them pulling us around a bit but never really testing Macca. Then up popped "one of our own" Harry Clifton who now has the taste for goal and did well at he 2nd attempt to finish a really good break and followed it with the celebration to match. Cut this lad in half and he's got GTFC running through him like a stick of rock.

After the 2nd to be fair we toyed with them a bit and it could be argued squandered some great opportunities but what the hell the young kid are backing themselves and once again today 2 of them got on the score sheet which gives real credibility to MJ;s strategy.

The whole team deserve credit for today personally I really liked Collins who was a real warrior and the mid field quartet who once again always wanted the ball and where keen to work for each other.

However the star of the day was won for me before kick off when after his warm up before going in to get changed Macca gave a little lad down the front his goalie gloves - Pure Gold!! "We're all Town aren't we" well  one lad will be forever after today!

So into the hat and on the road to Wembley?........... #wecanalldream

UTM!

P.S. - Funniest moment of the day was when Mitch (I love a pen) Rose warmed up in front of their player to delay him taking a long throw and then got a big thumbs up from Macca once we'd cleared the threat.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 27
AndyGTFC
December 2, 2018, 9:55pm

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.31
Rep Score: +23 / -2
Approval: +804
Gold Stars: 5
Wasn't pretty but we did get the job done and even though they were the ones on the front foot for most of the game, we did defend well against their aerial bombardment all things considering. Bar that chance in the first 20 minutes, I never felt truly we were truly in danger.

Once the second went in, we took control and didn't look back.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 27
Marinerz93
December 2, 2018, 10:42pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.56
Rep Score: +89 / -11
Approval: +6,292
Gold Stars: 1
Easy peasy squeeze the lemon that is tin pot Chesterfield, knew it would be an easy bagsy to the next round. The next game will more more challenging so fingers crossed we get a chance to progress to the next round.

Supporting the Mighty Mariners for over 30 years, home town club is were the heart and soul is and it's great to be a part of it.

Jesus’ disciple Peter, picked up a fish to get the tribute money from it, Jesus left his thumb print on the fish, bless'ed is the Haddock.
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 27
bedders78
December 3, 2018, 10:22am
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.14
Rep Score: +3 / -3
Approval: +834
Gold Stars: 12
Winning without playing our absolute best, a very good sign.  I'm continuing to love the engine room of Hess and Harry, they give the side real energy in the middle and it's noticeable how few opposition attacks come through this area now.

Still need to work on being calmer when under pressure and clearing the ball into areas where it doesn't come straight back.  Too any shouts for Thomas to chase down every lost cause when he's playing up front on his own.  He seems to have very good judgement about when closing down a defender or keeper is worthwhile and when it's just a waste of energy. Trust him, he's leading the line excellently.

Grim Outlook exile
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 27
grimsby pete
December 3, 2018, 10:31am

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.80
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,792
Gold Stars: 222
Quoted from bedders78
Winning without playing our absolute best, a very good sign.  I'm continuing to love the engine room of Hess and Harry, they give the side real energy in the middle and it's noticeable how few opposition attacks come through this area now.

Still need to work on being calmer when under pressure and clearing the ball into areas where it doesn't come straight back.  Too any shouts for Thomas to chase down every lost cause when he's playing up front on his own.  He seems to have very good judgement about when closing down a defender or keeper is worthwhile and when it's just a waste of energy. Trust him, he's leading the line excellently.

I looked at Wes's face shortly before he got subbed he looked really knacked,

I agree he works up on his own most of the time and has a very good judgement on when to chase a ball or not,

His work rate is excellent and his goals are a bonus, keep it up Wes you are well thought of by the club and the fans.

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 27
Ipswin
December 3, 2018, 12:20pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.10
Rep Score: +44 / -47
Approval: -3,552
Gold Stars: 89
Quoted from Mallyner

One of the best games I have been to was when we beat Scunny 7-1 in the 60s and Brian Hill went past defenders as if they were wearing lead boots.

I think that might have been his only hat trick for Town.

A fantastic night (watched it from the open Imperial corner - how I miss the corner area steps, looks so desolate and non-league now being just empty flat spaces)

Rod Green got a hat trick too and the great Sir Matt the other

On bended knee is no way to be free - Peter R de Vries

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse.....=public_profile_post
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 27
3 Pages Prev 1 2 3 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Just Back on the Bus

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.