3 Pages 1 2 3 All Recommend Thread
barralad
December 2, 2018, 4:30pm
Mariners Trust
Posts Per Day: 2.33
Rep Score: +86 / -20
Approval: +9,194
Gold Stars: 121
Pretty comprehensive win. Defensively sound against a team that constantly pumped the ball up route one. I was surprised when Collins got straight back in but in fairness he was immense today against a giant who looked for all the world like someone in your Sunday League team who should've hung up his boots a decade ago. Both full backs did very well again.
Town are clearly now trying to play the game the right way. Some of the quick passing is a joy to watch. It doesn't come off all the time but it is League Two level.
First goal was a scramble but the second was worthy both for the persistence of Clifton and the absolutely sublime pass to him by Thomas. That goal killed Chesterfield off and we could've had two or three more with a bit more composure.
The fans were as usual magnificent apart from the strange lad who took a swing at the drummer for what only God knows.
Clifton reaped the plaudits at the end but maybe we need to start recognising that Vernam is also "One of our own"...

The aim of argument or discussion should not be victory but progress.

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Offline
Private Message
GYinScuntland
December 2, 2018, 4:40pm

Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.49
Rep Score: +21 / -6
Approval: +3,210
Gold Stars: 97
It's nice not to slip on banana skins.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 27
RoboCod
December 2, 2018, 4:44pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.92
Rep Score: +70 / -19
Approval: +7,505
Nice to put a 'tinpot' side to the sword. How quickly situations can change.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 27
pontoonlew
December 2, 2018, 4:47pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.00
Rep Score: +36 / -15
Approval: +8,721
Gold Stars: 163
That giant is only 29 years old, that’s one hell of a tough paper round.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 27
SpudUDontLike
December 2, 2018, 5:31pm

Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.12
Rep Score: +11 / -1
Approval: +309
Gold Stars: 8
Concur with Barra's summary - a very satisfactory afternoon, made even better for me by finding myself next to and chatting with Brian Hill, Town winger in the sixties, full of stories about legendary players from Town and elsewhere. A lovely bloke.

We are destined to a fool's fate that deserves to be mocked.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 27
Grimal
December 2, 2018, 5:36pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.90
Rep Score: +20 / -3
Approval: +2,850
Gold Stars: 8
Quoted from pontoonlew
That giant is only 29 years old, that’s one hell of a tough paper round.

I saw him playing for North ferriby a few times, he was rubbish then,haven't got a clue how he's got a contract at that MASSIVE club Chesterfield.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 27
Cloudy
December 2, 2018, 5:58pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.15
Rep Score: +17 / -8
Approval: +6,431
A tough physical battle for most part. They had a few big uns but little idea. Typical non league battlers, there is a significant difference between the Conference and League 2 these days!😉

We were no great shakes in the first half when Fox and Collins were our best performers. Couldn’t get hold of it in midfield were only Hessenthaler was on it.

Vernam goal gave us a foot hold and the longer it went on our ‘footballers’ began to take control. Clifton really came to the fore along with Embleton after a quiet first hour and in the end we outclassed them and could/should have had more.

Hope we get a decent draw, hope it isn’t Gillingham or even Luton. Got a feeling we are going to Middlesbrough🤪
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 27
Hagrid
December 2, 2018, 6:03pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.79
Rep Score: +49 / -21
Approval: +19,987
Gold Stars: 507
Wasnt great wasnt pretty but we won. Enjoyed the away end. They were hopeless
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 27
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
December 2, 2018, 6:15pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.35
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
Quoted from SpudUDontLike
Concur with Barra's summary - a very satisfactory afternoon, made even better for me by finding myself next to and chatting with Brian Hill, Town winger in the sixties, full of stories about legendary players from Town and elsewhere. A lovely bloke.

Used to like Brian a lot. He ran like a young colt and was just as skinny!

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 27
Saudimariner
December 2, 2018, 6:19pm
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.04
Rep Score: +1 / 0
Approval: +304
Gold Stars: 9

Used to like Brian a lot. He ran like a young colt and was just as skinny!

The Telewag used to call him "pencil-slim Brian Hill"!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 27
moosey_club
December 2, 2018, 6:25pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.71
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,141
Gold Stars: 220
we are in the draw so thats what counts but thought we made far too hard work of it....first half we sat off them far too much and gave them some belief/ confidence...our goal was out of the blue as we hadnt created anything.
Second half again slow start but picked up, especially after the 2nd goal.

Quite amusing to have the whole ground singing " you're getting sacked in the morning" to MadDog Allen.

MOM for me Collins..very solid and calm distribution from the back.

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWL
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 27
chaos33
December 2, 2018, 6:42pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +17,786
Gold Stars: 349
Quoted from Cloudy
A tough physical battle for most part. They had a few big uns but little idea. Typical non league battlers, there is a significant difference between the Conference and League 2 these days!😉

We were no great shakes in the first half when Fox and Collins were our best performers. Couldn’t get hold of it in midfield were only Hessenthaler was on it.

Vernam goal gave us a foot hold and the longer it went on our ‘footballers’ began to take control. Clifton really came to the fore along with Embleton after a quiet first hour and in the end we outclassed them and could/should have had more.

Hope we get a decent draw, hope it isn’t Gillingham or even Luton. Got a feeling we are going to Middlesbrough🤪

Hehe. Strange. I've also got  a feeling we'll get Middlesbrough away!

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 27
forza ivano
December 2, 2018, 8:03pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 2.47
Rep Score: +73 / -18
Approval: +15,136
Gold Stars: 265
Quoted from moosey_club
we are in the draw so thats what counts but thought we made far too hard work of it....first half we sat off them far too much and gave them some belief/ confidence...our goal was out of the blue as we hadnt created anything.
Second half again slow start but picked up, especially after the 2nd goal.

Quite amusing to have the whole ground singing " you're getting sacked in the morning" to MadDog Allen.

MOM for me Collins..very solid and calm distribution from the back.

Completely agree. Can't imagine jolley was very happy with most of that performance
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 27
Mallyner
December 2, 2018, 8:37pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.60
Rep Score: +9 / -2
Approval: +2,509
Gold Stars: 22
Quoted from SpudUDontLike

One of the best games I have been to was when we beat Scunny 7-1 in the 60s and Brian Hill went past defenders as if they were wearing lead boots.

Supporting Town for 65 years.  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 27
HertsGTFC
December 2, 2018, 8:41pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.23
Rep Score: +29 / -8
Approval: +22,628
Gold Stars: 217
A really good win maybe not in terms of performance but in terms of learning for what is in reality a young team but one that week by week look like they are  growing in competence, ability, creativity confidence and unity, I so hope that MJ doesn't  lose any of the current stable starting 11 in January.

MJ has talked about mental strength and today all the work the coaching staff are doing on that kind of thing was evident as under Bignot, Slade and even earlier this season we'd have capitulated against the onslaught that we faced n the first 20 mins.

I also thought that MJ out thought Allen today as they clearly had a plan to move us around to try and make us lose "us shape" but despite that and the standard first half Macca hero moment we stood the test and went in with the lead, deserved? Not undeserved as we'd done a professional job.

To be fair the 2nd half started much like the first half but in reality with them pulling us around a bit but never really testing Macca. Then up popped "one of our own" Harry Clifton who now has the taste for goal and did well at he 2nd attempt to finish a really good break and followed it with the celebration to match. Cut this lad in half and he's got GTFC running through him like a stick of rock.

After the 2nd to be fair we toyed with them a bit and it could be argued squandered some great opportunities but what the hell the young kid are backing themselves and once again today 2 of them got on the score sheet which gives real credibility to MJ;s strategy.

The whole team deserve credit for today personally I really liked Collins who was a real warrior and the mid field quartet who once again always wanted the ball and where keen to work for each other.

However the star of the day was won for me before kick off when after his warm up before going in to get changed Macca gave a little lad down the front his goalie gloves - Pure Gold!! "We're all Town aren't we" well  one lad will be forever after today!

So into the hat and on the road to Wembley?........... #wecanalldream

UTM!

P.S. - Funniest moment of the day was when Mitch (I love a pen) Rose warmed up in front of their player to delay him taking a long throw and then got a big thumbs up from Macca once we'd cleared the threat.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 27
AndyGTFC
December 2, 2018, 9:55pm

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.31
Rep Score: +23 / -2
Approval: +774
Gold Stars: 4
Wasn't pretty but we did get the job done and even though they were the ones on the front foot for most of the game, we did defend well against their aerial bombardment all things considering. Bar that chance in the first 20 minutes, I never felt truly we were truly in danger.

Once the second went in, we took control and didn't look back.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 27
Marinerz93
December 2, 2018, 10:42pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +89 / -11
Approval: +6,292
Gold Stars: 1
Easy peasy squeeze the lemon that is tin pot Chesterfield, knew it would be an easy bagsy to the next round. The next game will more more challenging so fingers crossed we get a chance to progress to the next round.

Supporting the Mighty Mariners for over 30 years, home town club is were the heart and soul is and it's great to be a part of it.

Jesus’ disciple Peter, picked up a fish to get the tribute money from it, Jesus left his thumb print on the fish, bless'ed is the Haddock.
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 27
bedders78
December 3, 2018, 10:22am
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.14
Rep Score: +3 / -3
Approval: +817
Gold Stars: 12
Winning without playing our absolute best, a very good sign.  I'm continuing to love the engine room of Hess and Harry, they give the side real energy in the middle and it's noticeable how few opposition attacks come through this area now.

Still need to work on being calmer when under pressure and clearing the ball into areas where it doesn't come straight back.  Too any shouts for Thomas to chase down every lost cause when he's playing up front on his own.  He seems to have very good judgement about when closing down a defender or keeper is worthwhile and when it's just a waste of energy. Trust him, he's leading the line excellently.

Grim Outlook exile
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 27
grimsby pete
December 3, 2018, 10:31am

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.83
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,753
Gold Stars: 221
Quoted from bedders78
Winning without playing our absolute best, a very good sign.  I'm continuing to love the engine room of Hess and Harry, they give the side real energy in the middle and it's noticeable how few opposition attacks come through this area now.

Still need to work on being calmer when under pressure and clearing the ball into areas where it doesn't come straight back.  Too any shouts for Thomas to chase down every lost cause when he's playing up front on his own.  He seems to have very good judgement about when closing down a defender or keeper is worthwhile and when it's just a waste of energy. Trust him, he's leading the line excellently.

I looked at Wes's face shortly before he got subbed he looked really knacked,

I agree he works up on his own most of the time and has a very good judgement on when to chase a ball or not,

His work rate is excellent and his goals are a bonus, keep it up Wes you are well thought of by the club and the fans.

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 27
Ipswin
December 3, 2018, 12:20pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.11
Rep Score: +44 / -47
Approval: -3,552
Gold Stars: 89
Quoted from Mallyner

One of the best games I have been to was when we beat Scunny 7-1 in the 60s and Brian Hill went past defenders as if they were wearing lead boots.

I think that might have been his only hat trick for Town.

A fantastic night (watched it from the open Imperial corner - how I miss the corner area steps, looks so desolate and non-league now being just empty flat spaces)

Rod Green got a hat trick too and the great Sir Matt the other

On bended knee is no way to be free - Peter R de Vries

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse.....=public_profile_post
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 27
1mickylyons
December 3, 2018, 12:20pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.53
Rep Score: +42 / -14
Approval: +9,260
Gold Stars: 54
Thomas set up both goals I thought for him he had a quiet game but two assists I will take that every week
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 27
moosey_club
December 3, 2018, 12:32pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.71
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,141
Gold Stars: 220
Quoted from 1mickylyons
Thomas set up both goals I thought for him he had a quiet game but two assists I will take that every week

We were having the discussion during the game regards Thomas...for a large proportion of the game he was on a hiding to nothing as the service was poor, Macca's kicks didnt go anywhere near him half the time and he was outnumbered throughout....
however it was noticeable that he virtually didn't move outside of the centre circle when we were defending in open play...he never came across to the likely channel were the ball may be cleared which i thought was quite inept of him...while others thought it must be a clear directive he has rather than his personal decision/ awareness. By him staying central it maybe would leave the channels open for others.  Not sure.

For me he could be more effective not only for his own involvement but for the team, with a bit more anticipation in situations like that then being in the likely area should save energy, give him a fighting chance of retaining the ball helping relieve pressure, it also puts the defenders under pressure preventing them picking a team mate out and possibly having to put the ball straight into touch.

Lovely turn to set Clifton up though.

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWL
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 27
1mickylyons
December 3, 2018, 12:39pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.53
Rep Score: +42 / -14
Approval: +9,260
Gold Stars: 54
Quoted from moosey_club

We were having the discussion during the game regards Thomas...for a large proportion of the game he was on a hiding to nothing as the service was poor, Macca's kicks didnt go anywhere near him half the time and he was outnumbered throughout....
however it was noticeable that he virtually didn't move outside of the centre circle when we were defending in open play...he never came across to the likely channel were the ball may be cleared which i thought was quite inept of him...while others thought it must be a clear directive he has rather than his personal decision/ awareness. By him staying central it maybe would leave the channels open for others.  Not sure.

For me he could be more effective not only for his own involvement but for the team, with a bit more anticipation in situations like that then being in the likely area should save energy, give him a fighting chance of retaining the ball helping relieve pressure, it also puts the defenders under pressure preventing them picking a team mate out and possibly having to put the ball straight into touch.

Lovely turn to set Clifton up though.

I have too say Thomas has impressed me since he got match fit he generally works the centre halves even on his own and his lay offs are good.Like you point out his hold up play leaves a bit to be desired BUT I wager he will do Town a massive favour with Cardwell/Rose/Vernam I have high hopes for those 3 and their recent goals will have given them a huge confidence boost.Were scoring goals now and a Month or so ago it didn`t look likely did it?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 27
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
December 3, 2018, 12:54pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.35
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
Thomas plays more like Lump than LJL.

My guess is he is at least in part playing to orders. Keep the centre backs occupied by being around and we will always know where to find you (if and when we hit a decent ball out from the back ).

He's good at the layoffs when he gets the chance like for Clifton and his nod on for Vernam from the corner was class.

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 27
Tommy
December 3, 2018, 1:20pm
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.22
Rep Score: +60 / -15
Approval: +8,859
Gold Stars: 76
I missed the first half hour but watched the rest at home.

Sounded like we weathered a storm early on but from the moment i switched it on we were pretty comfortable. Not very composed as the first half ended but certainly some better spells of football and some half-decent breaks forward.

Second half we were a class above them. Moved the ball around really well at times and broke forward very effectively.

Embleton fantastic at drifting into areas behind Chesterfield's midfield where he could pick the ball up on the half-turn and run at their back 4. Hessenthaler and Clifton were very good at finding him and eliminating several Chesterfield players with one pass.

The longer the game went on, we should've scored a good few more than we did. The BBC highlights don't show all our breaks forward in the 2nd half because it seems like they're instructed to only show shots on target. And most of the time we didn't hit the target from decent positions. We seemed to get forward countless times with Clifton joining Vernam, Embleton and Thomas in attack, often against just 3 or 4 defenders. We just didn't take advantage enough of the situations we got into in the final third.

Great set piece for our first goal. Great corner from Pringle and a fantastic flick on from Thomas.
Second goal very well worked, great work by Thomas and a great run off the ball initially from Clifton. Luckily he got a second bite at it as the better decision would've been to square for an Embleton tap-in really.

Thought Martin Allen looked a bit clueless on what to do and don't think he'll be there much longer.

We look to be really developing as a side. With an identity, a structure to what we're doing, and a core of young players at the heart of it. Exciting and interesting times I think.

"The greatest mistake you can make in life is to continually be afraid you will make one."
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 27
Tommy
December 3, 2018, 1:27pm
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.22
Rep Score: +60 / -15
Approval: +8,859
Gold Stars: 76
Also on the set-piece front, that's the third game in a row we've scored a goal from a set-piece.

Before these last 3 games we'd previously only scored once from a set-piece this season.

"The greatest mistake you can make in life is to continually be afraid you will make one."
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 27
grimsby pete
December 3, 2018, 2:03pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.83
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,753
Gold Stars: 221
Regarding Thomas and where he positions himself when we are defending,

I just can't see Jolley saying to him" stand where you like"

Wes will do what MJ tells him to do and stand where he is instructed,

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 27
RoboCod
December 3, 2018, 2:04pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.92
Rep Score: +70 / -19
Approval: +7,505
Quoted from Tommy

Great set piece for our first goal. Great corner from Pringle and a fantastic flick on from Thomas.

Really like Pringles technique. His crosses aren't overhit with too much pace as we were seeing at the seasons start, he 'sits the ball up' as the pundits say.
His corners are great, that clever style where you' almost facing 90 degrees away from where the ball is going, with a little twist of the ankle and hips to give a wicked spin to fade/dip the ball.
Hope the set-pieces can really pick up with him and Embletons delivery quality.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 27
3 Pages 1 2 3 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Just Back on the Bus

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.