Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Macca , how long before the inevitable happens?
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 198 Guests

Macca , how long before the inevitable happens?

This thread currently has 7,582 views. Print
6 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All Recommend Thread
KingstonMariner
November 26, 2018, 11:05pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.07
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Quoted from devs
Macca is a top L2 keeper - poss L1 but no higher for the reasons people have mentioned
He's loyal to GTFC and always seems like a really decent bloke when interviewed - good life/work balance and perspective

Finally, sorry to be churlish, but Gordon Banks' save in 1970 v Brazil was way better then the one on Saturday... even though Macca's was top notch

With Banks the ball was definitely behind him and to this day I don't think I've seen better

Marvellous...jumpers for goalposts

Macca did one of those last season but above his head, so that was even harder  

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 40 - 58
KingstonMariner
November 26, 2018, 11:05pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.07
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Quoted from marinerdazza
It seems like only yesterday that some people were questioning why we'd given him such a long contract...

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 41 - 58
1mickylyons
November 27, 2018, 7:43am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.53
Rep Score: +42 / -14
Approval: +9,383
Gold Stars: 56
Macca certainly playing well enough to have drawn some attention off other Clubs and a good age for a keeper. However like others have pointed out he`s lower league for a reason and that is his inability to command his area and his relatively poor distribution.Great shot stopper and brilliant 1 on 1 but monetary wise Town would do well to get anything over 100k in my opinion.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 42 - 58
November 27, 2018, 12:58pm
Guest User
Quoted from Northbank Mariner
Macca as we all know is flawed as a keeper.
No one can doubt his ability in 1 on 1 situations and his above average shot stopping capabilites, but and it's a big but, his distribution, time he holds on to the ball before reading it and generally inability to take control of his area has never improved in all the time he's been with us...if it had, he'd be at least a league or 2 higher by now.
I think he's ever a purple patch no doubting that but I do believe he's in the spot light due to the defeciences within the team Infront of him and the amount of times the opposition are being allowed to get into 1 on 1 positions and the amount of shots he's having shots fired in his direction.

If this is true - and I'm not in a position to say either way - the club has wasted a lot of money on
goalkeeping coaches then.
Reply: 43 - 58
Northbank Mariner
November 27, 2018, 1:36pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.75
Rep Score: +9 / -9
Approval: +7,446
Gold Stars: 171
Quoted from 137

If this is true - and I'm not in a position to say either way - the club has wasted a lot of money on
goalkeeping coaches then.

Look back through the threads and various sources, the one part of maccas game that has been hidms Achilles heel is, as I have said, he's distribution and lack of controlled his box.
And have we wasted money on goal keeper coaches??...because as far as I am aware we have never had a specific goal keeper coach, AW was on the books as a keeper, SR is on the books as a keeper and the only time macca has had coaching per se was when he was attending classes with Hulls coaching staff ..
Don't misunderstand me, I'm well on the macca love train, brilliant keeper at this level, superb person and seems to love GTFC and it's fans....lest not forget his faux Pas when he spat his dummy out and I for one I forgiven him that misdemeanor
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 44 - 58
Cloudy
November 27, 2018, 1:43pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.14
Rep Score: +17 / -8
Approval: +6,431
Quoted from Northbank Mariner

Look back through the threads and various sources, the one part of maccas game that has been hidms Achilles heel is, as I have said, he's distribution and lack of controlled his box.
And have we wasted money on goal keeper coaches??...because as far as I am aware we have never had a specific goal keeper coach, AW was on the books as a keeper, SR is on the books as a keeper and the only time macca has had coaching per se was when he was attending classes with Hulls coaching staff ..
Don't misunderstand me, I'm well on the macca love train, brilliant keeper at this level, superb person and seems to love GTFC and it's fans....lest not forget his faux Pas when he spat his dummy out and I for one I forgiven him that misdemeanor

??????
Private Message
Reply: 45 - 58
grimsby pete
November 27, 2018, 1:55pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.80
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,796
Gold Stars: 222
Quoted from HertsGTFC

Have you seen much of him this season Pete, he looks a bit better under the high ball, keepers who play against us often look good at coming to claim our corners, not because they are any good it's mire that we are crap at taking corners.   

One game Cambridge and 3 live games on I follow and all the other extended highlights which I watch several times,

So I will stick with my judgement Herts but if he did command his area he would have been playing for Ipswich now.

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 46 - 58
Maringer
November 27, 2018, 4:49pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,506
Gold Stars: 185
Quoted from chaos33
Pele might have been the greatest world footballer of a generation and maybe the most famous ever, but he's plainly not the best footballer the world has ever seen.

Difficult to compare, but the likes of Messi, Ronaldo and even Maradona played in a different era. How would Pele have done if he'd been in his prime in the modern day with defenders not allowed to kick you out of the game, better pitches, better fitness coaching and balls which weren't a leathery lump when wet?

Pele scored a hell of a lot more high level goals than either Messi or Ronaldo have or ever will and is Brazil's top scorer by a country mile. He scored 58 league goals (a record in Brazilian football) in one season when he was 17 or 18 years old and was top scorer in Brazilian football for 9 consecutive seasons. Obviously, it helped that he was playing for a dominant Santos team (who also spanked Eusebio's Benfica when they were European Champions) as well as a talented Brazilian team, but then Messi and Ronaldo haven't exactly played for rubbish teams, either.

Because little footage exists these days, it's difficult to judge but I think it is a pretty bold statement to claim Pele wasn't a match for Messi and Ronaldo.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 47 - 58
CodHead
November 27, 2018, 5:11pm
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.12
Rep Score: +1 / 0
Approval: +169
Quoted from Limerick Mariner

Cruyff was the best...

You’re forgetting about Dejan Lovern
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 48 - 58
Mrs Doyle
November 27, 2018, 5:45pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.78
Rep Score: +22 / -13
Approval: +4,859
Quoted from ska face
That save of Banks’ has to be one of the most overrated saves in history.

Well I think it is one of the best saves considering Pele did everything right he powered the header downwards at close range still don't know how the hell Banksy got down so fast yet managed to scoop a lot heavier ball than today over the bar talk about strong hands.

Not seen a better save that's for sure.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 49 - 58
6 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Macca , how long before the inevitable happens?

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.