fishboyUTM
November 6, 2018, 11:35am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.42
Rep Score: +7 / -3
Approval: +1,068
Gold Stars: 40
Quoted from Mariner_09
I dare say if we'd used them properly and not appointed a manager opposed to playing football then Jamey Osborne and Akwasi Asante may well have come good for us and we could've made a tidy profit out of them. Likewise, if used properly, I think Sam Jones would have developed better and over a longer period for us, hence allowing us to sell him for more. Same with Dembele, if he'd been coached better he'd have progressed better and been sold for more than the reported 100k. Maybe if we'd appointed Jolley (or a similar sort) after Hurst left then we may well be in a much stronger position financially and in terms of league position!

It's unfair to categorise players without seeing them train, talk and knowing them. But I'm an unfair kind of bloke so I'm going to anyway:

Osborne: Hugely talented footballer, nobody in the current squad has his ability. I'm going to back Slade on this one, the second he was out of the team he was looking for a transfer back to Solihull of all places. Says a lot for his drive and determination. Also heard from several close sources at the time he was a wrong un. If he had anything about him, he would have dug in and waited for Slade's inevitable dismissal. The apparent lies over his loan move to 'build fitness up' then his 'personal problems' didn't sit well with me.

Asante: Difficult to judge his ability as he didn't play a lot. Arrived carrying a long standing injury and never really kicked on. Again, I'd heard his effort was questionable when he did train and he never showed enough potential. Right move to pay him off, after JF was heard slamming him (I feel for JF here), he could well have had a case for constructive dismissal so getting him paid off and gone was a no brainer.

Jones: Was excellent for us under Hurst for the most part. Real desire to get forward and get on the scoresheet. Loved the ball being played in front of him, suffered badly from Sladeball and neck high punts and seem to lose all passion, which I could understand in all honesty given the appalling tactics from the manager. However, he just gave up, downed tools for all intents and purposes and some of his last performances were abject. The fans didn't deserve that. Still, I can understand him losing heart.

Dembele: Credit to Slade for finding this hugely talented winger. He could do ridiculous things with a football and was immense for the first couple of months of the season. Then for whatever reason, and we can only guess he appeared to down tools as well. Rumours he was on a tiny contract, a youth team players contract but was clearly on fire on the pitch. His performances were not rewarded with a new deal, I believe this had a lot to do with his 'back injury' and subsequent loss of form. We activated his extension to his current deal, presumably just to protect the asset instead of offering him proper terms, resulted in an immediate transfer request. Has massive ability, issues over his strength, daft as it sounds can he kick the ball far enough?!

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 41
pen penfras
November 6, 2018, 12:01pm

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.66
Rep Score: +8 / -9
Approval: -126
Gold Stars: 71
Quoted from diehardmariner

The problem was that we let Bignot have free-reign on bringing the next wave of these players through without any thought about their location, character etc.  The board, i.e Fenty, signed off on these deals and gave the approval.  We then appointed a guy who has no interest in developing player talent as manager and gave him the remit of offloading the high earners....

So now you want Fenty to interfere in transfers? Of course you don't, be realistic, find criticism where it is due but don't use every fu(king stick on the tree to beat him with, because not everything is one man's fault. The way that he gets blamed for absolutely everything is so daft. There are genuine criticisms of the board that they can improve on, but throwing every bit of sh1t at them devalues any genuine criticism and just looks like childish hatred.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 41
psgmariner
November 6, 2018, 12:41pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.69
Rep Score: +39 / -15
Approval: +5,480
Gold Stars: 33
Quoted from pen penfras

So now you want Fenty to interfere in transfers? Of course you don't, be realistic, find criticism where it is due but don't use every fu(king stick on the tree to beat him with, because not everything is one man's fault. The way that he gets blamed for absolutely everything is so daft. There are genuine criticisms of the board that they can improve on, but throwing every bit of sh1t at them devalues any genuine criticism and just looks like childish hatred.

Good point.

I think Fenty has done too much wrong for some that whatever he does he will be criticised. I do get the anger but it's not always helpful.

Private Message
Reply: 22 - 41
GrimRob
November 6, 2018, 12:45pm

Posts Per Day: 2.12
Rep Score: +76 / -34
Approval: +13,403
Gold Stars: 113
Limbrick should know the best non-league players. He was managing at NL level this time last year!

'Tis better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all.  
~ Alfred Lord Tennyson

Logged Offline
Site Private Message Skype
Reply: 23 - 41
arryarryarry
November 6, 2018, 12:50pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,042
Gold Stars: 116
Quoted from pen penfras

Erm, after more than 15 years of crap there is only one constant.

I won't say but if you are too dumb to work it out give me a shout.
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 41
psgmariner
November 6, 2018, 1:11pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from arryarryarry

Erm, after more than 15 years of crap there is only one constant.

I won't say but if you are too dumb to work it out give me a shout.

There's loads of constants.

Fenty is the one you are referring to obviously but there are many more. Negativity from fans, Blundell Park and our location in the bottom end of nowhere are 3 more obvious ones.

Private Message
Reply: 25 - 41
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
November 6, 2018, 1:22pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.34
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
Quoted from psgmariner

There's loads of constants.

Fenty is the one you are referring to obviously but there are many more. Negativity from fans, Blundell Park and our location in the bottom end of nowhere are 3 more obvious ones.

Failure of supporters to accept the root cause when it is staring them in the face is another?

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 41
LondonMariner43
November 6, 2018, 1:23pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.41
Rep Score: +19 / -4
Approval: +3,951
Gold Stars: 64
If it was so easy to do this then every club would be regularly signing these rough diamonds and making a million.

In the 5 tiers below L2, there might be 10-20 strikers.  Maybe half have potential at a higher level.  There are 90 league clubs chasing these players.  If they are really good they will have ambition beyond the middle of L2.

Statistically we will get one of these once every 10-20 years.  

Football management isn’t the easy job some seem to think!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 41
FishOutOfWater
November 6, 2018, 1:34pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.14
Rep Score: +52 / -7
Approval: +6,574
Gold Stars: 37
Quoted from fishboyUTM

It's unfair to categorise players without seeing them train, talk and knowing them. But I'm an unfair kind of bloke so I'm going to anyway:

Osborne: Hugely talented footballer, nobody in the current squad has his ability. I'm going to back Slade on this one, the second he was out of the team he was looking for a transfer back to Solihull of all places. Says a lot for his drive and determination. Also heard from several close sources at the time he was a wrong un. If he had anything about him, he would have dug in and waited for Slade's inevitable dismissal. The apparent lies over his loan move to 'build fitness up' then his 'personal problems' didn't sit well with me.

Asante: Difficult to judge his ability as he didn't play a lot. Arrived carrying a long standing injury and never really kicked on. Again, I'd heard his effort was questionable when he did train and he never showed enough potential. Right move to pay him off, after JF was heard slamming him (I feel for JF here), he could well have had a case for constructive dismissal so getting him paid off and gone was a no brainer.

Jones: Was excellent for us under Hurst for the most part. Real desire to get forward and get on the scoresheet. Loved the ball being played in front of him, suffered badly from Sladeball and neck high punts and seem to lose all passion, which I could understand in all honesty given the appalling tactics from the manager. However, he just gave up, downed tools for all intents and purposes and some of his last performances were abject. The fans didn't deserve that. Still, I can understand him losing heart.

Dembele: Credit to Slade for finding this hugely talented winger. He could do ridiculous things with a football and was immense for the first couple of months of the season. Then for whatever reason, and we can only guess he appeared to down tools as well. Rumours he was on a tiny contract, a youth team players contract but was clearly on fire on the pitch. His performances were not rewarded with a new deal, I believe this had a lot to do with his 'back injury' and subsequent loss of form. We activated his extension to his current deal, presumably just to protect the asset instead of offering him proper terms, resulted in an immediate transfer request. Has massive ability, issues over his strength, daft as it sounds can he kick the ball far enough?!

Sorry... I'm being pedantic I know but Sam Jones was a Bignot signing
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 28 - 41
psgmariner
November 6, 2018, 1:46pm

Barley Wine Drinker

Failure of supporters to accept the root cause when it is staring them in the face is another?

I do know what the root cause is, but I can't see how being on a massive downer about the club all the time on an online forum helps fix it. If it works for you then fine good luck to you.

This board, Blundell Park, Twitter, even my friggin whatsapp groups about GTFC are utterly depressing. I am not blind to all the problems but fail to see anyone do the slightest thing to improve it.

Private Message
Reply: 29 - 41
5 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › What i dont understand

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.