Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › We are down with this team.
Users Browsing Forum
AdSense and 310 Guests

We are down with this team.

This thread currently has 8,775 views. Print
6 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All Recommend Thread
MuddyWaters
November 4, 2018, 1:58pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,236
Gold Stars: 235
Quoted from rancido

Just remind me how many points from how many games did we get in October with this squad?

And how many did we get in September. We've got 10 points from the last 12 games - those are relegation stats.
Private Message
Reply: 40 - 54
Bigdog
November 4, 2018, 3:56pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +36 / -1
Approval: +11,802
Gold Stars: 162
Even though we're in a worse league position than this time last year, I'm nowhere near as worried about getting relegated as I was then. A bit more bravery and composure on the ball, a couple of tweaks to the starting line up and formation plus a couple of signings in January and we'll be ok. Not that I'd be particularly happy with yet another season in League Two resigned to being relieved with not getting relegated..
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 41 - 54
chaos33
November 4, 2018, 4:46pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +17,929
Gold Stars: 360
I wish I shared that optimistic view Bigdog but I don't. Unless something radical happens I think relegation or an exceptionally near miss looms. Again. Too many players below par and of a relatively poor quality compared to our L2 rivals.
I have no faith that January is going to bring about a proper investment in quality. That hasn't happened since we were promoted.
Crying shame or a screaming disgrace. Take your pick. To suffer the misery of relegation to the conference and finally get back, and then to accept this perpetual bumping about at the bottom, hoping for survival is appalling, and we will be found out.

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 42 - 54
grimsby pete
November 4, 2018, 5:04pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.80
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,792
Gold Stars: 222
We are only a couple of decent players away from being a good team,

If we sign them at the start of the window it would make me feel we have the right men,

Sign them last minute would mean we got the 2 nobody else wanted.

I hope Jolley knows who he wants and gets in there first.

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 43 - 54
psgmariner
November 4, 2018, 7:36pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.69
Rep Score: +39 / -15
Approval: +5,480
Gold Stars: 33
Would be fun to dig up the pre season prediction thread!

Private Message
Reply: 44 - 54
HertsGTFC
November 4, 2018, 8:49pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.26
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,909
Gold Stars: 228
Quoted from Bigdog
Even though we're in a worse league position than this time last year, I'm nowhere near as worried about getting relegated as I was then. A bit more bravery and composure on the ball, a couple of tweaks to the starting line up and formation plus a couple of signings in January and we'll be ok. Not that I'd be particularly happy with yet another season in League Two resigned to being relieved in not getting relegated..

How would you tweak the starting line up? I reckon the 4-3-3 we played in recent games is arguably the best we’ll get with who’s match fit and available.

We haven’t or at least so we’re told got the money for players who have composure on the ball, if we have would a player with that skill sign for a club 69thin the EFL?

Looking at the clubs above us, their resources/ownership, how established they are in L2, their ambitions compared to ours I think to expect anything better than a “low in the division” finish is not realistic I’m afraid.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 45 - 54
Bigdog
November 4, 2018, 9:58pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +36 / -1
Approval: +11,802
Gold Stars: 162
Quoted from HertsGTFC

How would you tweak the starting line up? I reckon the 4-3-3 we played in recent games is arguably the best we’ll get with who’s match fit and available.

Although we are conceding less goals, we seem to be doing so by protecting the back four too much and stifling our central midfield players from being more expansive and getting beyond our forward(s). I'd be tempted to play Famewo at the back to add a little pace and physicality as a bit more of an insurance against teams breaking against us and release the midfield shackles a bit. I'd try and sign a natural left back on loan in the window and play Hendrie at right back. I would share Clifton's game time with Hessenthaler a bit more to give us a larger percentage of composure on the ball and make sure that Embleton and Vernam are both in the same starting line up more and play closer together. I'd give Pringle a run of games on the left, look to find a goalscorer in the window from somewhere and give Akheem Rose more minutes if we're chasing games just to see if his raw pace can unsettle defences, it's what defenders fear most. A mix of 4-4-1-1 or 4-3-3..

We haven’t or at least so we’re told got the money for players who have composure on the ball, if we have would a player with that skill sign for a club 69thin the EFL?

Players a lot lower than League Two have got composure on the ball. I think it's a mental thing with some of our players who are too scared to get caught in possession. They get rid of the ball too quickly rather than drawing an opponent out of the game and give up possession anyway with panicky passing at times. It's not only that though, our movement off the ball isn't great and I'm not sure whether they're playing to rigid instructions or just lack confidence in wanting the ball.  We need to be braver in possession in tight areas.

Looking at the clubs above us, their resources/ownership, how established they are in L2, their ambitions compared to ours I think to expect anything better than a “low in the division” finish is not realistic I’m afraid.

Know what you mean about expectation, but I've not been impressed with too many teams we've played this season. There's fine margins between being a lower mid-table side and one that sneaks into the play-offs imo. I don't have anything but vain hope and a mountain of frustration for us really. Didn't see the Port Vale and Colchester games and have only really been excited watching about three games this season. Us hanging on against MK Dons and Carlisle and the Lincoln game at home. Only a third of the season in and already questioning whether I'd renew i-Follow next season. Sad state of affairs after supporting GTFC for 45 years but I'm really bored to tears with the standard of football and amount of mind-numbingly boring games I've watched since getting back into the league. Can't see it changing unless there's a wholesale change at the club and I can't see that changing either. Supporting and watching Town is a chore like habit rather than entertainment nowadays. Fully realistic about where we are and the limitations holding the club back, but no harm in hoping or demanding for better.. probably..

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 46 - 54
Henryscat
November 5, 2018, 12:28am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.23
Rep Score: +5 / 0
Approval: +1,395
Quoted from Croxton
The whole Pringle saga demonstrates that we are shopping in the damaged goods area of footballs IKEA. OOOH thats a nice sideboard but it's got a few scratches and a wobbly leg. After a few months in the garage, a bit of polish and some superglue, good as new!  

I’ve missed something here. What’s the whole Pringle saga?

Panic on the streets of Carlisle, Dublin, Dundee, Humberside
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 47 - 54
Croxton
November 5, 2018, 1:44pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.75
Rep Score: +14 / -4
Approval: +3,014
Gold Stars: 33
Quoted from Henryscat

I’ve missed something here. What’s the whole Pringle saga?

Just that it has taken an age to get him fit and integrated in the squad when our need for a wide player to feed our forwards with quality crosses has been obvious for months. Perhaps he has had injuries and Preston want rid, I don't know but each team we play seem to have pacy athletic wingers and more on the bench if required.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 48 - 54
PPMariner
November 5, 2018, 10:22pm

Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.14
Rep Score: +15 / -8
Approval: +476
Gold Stars: 9
It's not as bad as some we've had. I am down with this team.

"Associate yourself with men of good quality, if you esteem your own reputation; for 'tis better to be alone than in bad company."
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 49 - 54
6 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › We are down with this team.

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.