4 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 Next All Recommend Thread
jock dock tower
October 25, 2018, 2:36pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.37
Rep Score: +55 / -12
Approval: +3,164
Quoted from golfer
Is Hewitt's best bitter still 1s3d a pint.

Talking of which.....Does any of the (much) older fraternity on here remember back in the 1960s, whenever Hewitt's put their prices up there was inevitably a window put in on their premises by a bloke on a bike? As far as I can remember the culprit was never cuiaght, which begs the question of the Gy police at the time not being the brightest bunch, as it ALWAYS happened. All they had to do was have someone in the vicinity of the brewery and wait. Those were the days!

No attempt at ethical or social seduction can eradicate from my heart a deep burning hatred of the Tory party. So far as I'm concerned they're lower than vermin. Aneurin Bevan.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 39
WHYWONTYOULETMESIGNUP
October 25, 2018, 2:44pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.64
Rep Score: +16 / -2
Approval: +3,689
Gold Stars: 72
Quoted from Les Brechin
I was down in London a couple of seasons ago and went to see Tooting & Mitcham v Guernsey. We were allowed to take our pints in the ground but mine was knocked out of my hand by a wayward shot from Serge Makofo!!  

that wouldve been a possibility even if you’d been stood at the bar outside the ground!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 39
marinerdazza
October 25, 2018, 2:56pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.90
Rep Score: +6 / -2
Approval: +4,848
Gold Stars: 82
Quoted Text

Did anyone see the England fans actually in the stadiums throwing pints everywhere?

We all know they'd have lasted 13 seconds if they had.

Quoted Text
Easily done in a pub where you can turn round and get another drink in seconds

When England are playing? Doubt it.

Quoted Text
Why don’t people chuck fizzy drinks or bovril all over now?

First, they're usually not hammered, and second, well it's obvious.

I usually agree with you, but not this time. Any late goal, any winning goal in a cup game (it might happen), any goal against Lincoln. Really?

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 39
Mallyner
October 25, 2018, 3:43pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.60
Rep Score: +9 / -2
Approval: +2,515
Gold Stars: 23
Quoted from jock dock tower

Talking of which.....Does any of the (much) older fraternity on here remember back in the 1960s, whenever Hewitt's put their prices up there was inevitably a window put in on their premises by a bloke on a bike? As far as I can remember the culprit was never cuiaght, which begs the question of the Gy police at the time not being the brightest bunch, as it ALWAYS happened. All they had to do was have someone in the vicinity of the brewery and wait. Those were the days!

I don't remember that, but my Dad used to work there in those days.

I do remember hearing about a man drowning in a vat of beer, it was a slow death as he got out 3 times for a wee.  

Supporting Town for 65 years.  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 39
ska face
October 25, 2018, 3:49pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +60 / -14
Approval: +21,653
Gold Stars: 847
I just really, really cannot get on with the idea that the vast majority of football fans lose any semblance of common sense, and thus require different laws, as soon as they enter the confines of a stadium.

A person can watch a football match, rugby match, American Football match, boxing and a gig all from the exact same seat at Wembley and only on one occasion is there a presumption that the individual requires a specific set of laws and draconian punishments to prevent them from certain behaviours.

It’s not the 80s anymore, things have moved on, we’re just waiting for the law to catch up.
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 39
Kris2
October 25, 2018, 4:11pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.65
Rep Score: +16 / -18
Approval: +2,634
Gold Stars: 136
I don't think it'd make a difference either way if you can drink in your seat or not. The main reason why clubs will want the change is because it encourages more people to buy a pint since they don't have to stand at the bar or on a concourse to drink it. It won't stop people binge drinking before a game, those people will do what they want regardless of anything else.

Maybe they can only allow it in certain stands so families and anyone who doesn't want to be around rowdy people throwing beer around after a goal have an option to avoid it. I think that would be fair.
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 39
moosey_club
October 25, 2018, 4:13pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.70
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,244
Gold Stars: 226
Quoted from Les Brechin
I was down in London a couple of seasons ago and went to see Tooting & Mitcham v Guernsey. We were allowed to take our pints in the ground but mine was knocked out of my hand by a wayward shot from Serge Makofo!!  

Serves you right for standing near the corner flag .

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWLLDWLWLW
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 39
marinerdazza
October 25, 2018, 4:22pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.90
Rep Score: +6 / -2
Approval: +4,848
Gold Stars: 82
Quoted from ska face
I just really, really cannot get on with the idea that the vast majority of football fans lose any semblance of common sense, and thus require different laws, as soon as they enter the confines of a stadium.

It's never been about the vast majority though has it?

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 39
golfer
October 25, 2018, 4:40pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.30
Rep Score: +34 / -18
Approval: +3,429
Gold Stars: 116
Quoted from Mallyner

I don't remember that, but my Dad used to work there in those days.

I do remember hearing about a man drowning in a vat of beer, it was a slow death as he got out 3 times for a wee.  

I used to work there in the early 60's so I might have known your dad. I used to ride a bike but always carried a brick in my saddle bag for protection as I had to go past all those women in white turbans outside Birds Eye. I went past 14 times one day and was absolutely terrified that they were going to molest me.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 39
KingstonMariner
October 25, 2018, 4:55pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.07
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Quoted from Les Brechin

You just can't do without seeing a team in B&W stripes can you Les!

T&M is another of those clubs with a massive bar.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 39
4 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Having a beer at the football

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.