Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Gresty Road.
Users Browsing Forum
AdSense and 186 Guests

Gresty Road.

This thread currently has 3,506 views. Print
2 Pages 1 2 Next All Recommend Thread
Les Brechin
October 25, 2018, 10:09am

Posts Per Day: 4.17
Rep Score: +114 / -24
Approval: +12,709
Gold Stars: 174
Big test on Saturday at one of our bogey grounds, Gresty Road. Last 5 visits there have brought 5 defeats, with 2 goals scored and 15 conceded.

I can see Jolley naming an unchanged team again for the 5th game in a row and hopefully we can keep up the unbeaten run and hopefully a 5th consecutive clean sheet.

I'm certainly a lot more confident of a decent result now than I was a few weeks ago.

[img]https://news.images.itv.com/image/file/402260/image_update_img.jpg[/img]
OFFICIAL FUNDRAISER FOR THE BRAIN TUMOUR CHARITY
TOTAL AMOUNT RAISED SINCE AUGUST 2008 £16613.24

LATEST DONATION - FROM DONATION FROM THE FISHY FORUM - AUG 2023 AMOUNT RAISED £170.00

Logged Offline
Private Message
Grantham_Mariner
October 25, 2018, 10:51am

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 0.80
Rep Score: +23 / -1
Approval: +3,184
Gold Stars: 51
Driven there the last five times. This time we are on the train, hope it changes our luck.

If the football is bad you can always watch the gulls.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 14
moosey_club
October 25, 2018, 11:17am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.70
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,244
Gold Stars: 226
Quoted from Les Brechin
Big test on Saturday at one of our bogey grounds, Gresty Road. Last 5 visits there have brought 5 defeats, with 2 goals scored and 15 conceded.

I can see Jolley naming an unchanged team again for the 5th game in a row and hopefully we can keep up the unbeaten run and hopefully a 5th consecutive clean sheet.

I'm certainly a lot more confident of a decent result now than I was a few weeks ago.

He probably will but RHJ had a poor one as did Hooper so does he allow poor performers to retain a place to keep the unchanged tag or be brave enough and trusting enough to bring in the back up players.... Pringle, Woolford, Famewo could all play left side instead of Hooper potentially...not sure what other single option we have to swap RHJ out though ?

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWLLDWLWLW
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 14
Mariner93er
October 25, 2018, 12:32pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.53
Rep Score: +9 / -4
Approval: +4,728
Gold Stars: 28
Famewo's a centre back not a left winger. Not sure whats going on with Pringle, hasn't even been getting time off the bench.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 14
October 25, 2018, 12:40pm
Guest User
Quoted from moosey_club

He probably will but RHJ had a poor one as did Hooper so does he allow poor performers to retain a place to keep the unchanged tag or be brave enough and trusting enough to bring in the back up players.... Pringle, Woolford, Famewo could all play left side instead of Hooper potentially...not sure what other single option we have to swap RHJ out though ?

Disagree with this thinking.
That team hasn't conceded in 4 matches now...so if it ain't broke don't fix it is my view.

Yes, some individuals have poor performances...only to be expected in L2. But the team came through.

Don't think you can expect players to perform at their best knowing that one poor game and they're out of the side.
Reply: 4 - 14
Lincoln Mariner 56
October 25, 2018, 1:06pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.61
Rep Score: +23 / -4
Approval: +7,688
Gold Stars: 79
Quoted from moosey_club

Personally think a player should know that one poor performance will not mean you lose your place in the team as in most games you can expect at least three players not to be firing on all cylinders. RHJ certainly gave a poor back pass and Nouble gave him a tough time on occasions but given his size and pace that’s not a great surprise and his run from edge of his own box to our byline was pretty damn impressive IMO.

I have been one of Hoopers’ few supporters but picking on a point another poster made, I believe after the Exeter game, he appears to lack anticipation and never expects the ball to break his way or so he can get in front of a defender for crosses. On Tuesday a lovely ball in required Hooper to try & get his head on it but he just stood and watched it go by with no effort to try & score. Ideally Pringle would be now occupying that role but like others puzzled by his spasmodic appearances including not being in the reserve team last week.

That said 4 clean sheets means all players have contributed so I can accept no change for Saturday but have a feeling Hooper will start on the bench with maybe a 4-4-2 approach that could see skipper back in. Difficult one as I would not want to lose Rose or Clifton from playing centrally given recent performances.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 14
Tommy
October 25, 2018, 1:21pm
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.22
Rep Score: +60 / -15
Approval: +8,865
Gold Stars: 76
Quoted from 137

Disagree with this thinking.
That team hasn't conceded in 4 matches now...so if it ain't broke don't fix it is my view.

Yes, some individuals have poor performances...only to be expected in L2. But the team came through.

Don't think you can expect players to perform at their best knowing that one poor game and they're out of the side.

I'm not one that subscribes to the cliche'd theory of "never change a winning team."

You're never going to keep winning forever, so why wait until you lose to make a change. Is it not better to anticipate what might be an area of the team that's under-performing or that just might benefit from a change at a particular time?

I'm not saying we SHOULD make changes after a win, but there are times when it's a good decision to do so. I can see why people say "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" but we're still a work in progress and there's plenty of things we can do better before we get to the stage of saying that.

"The greatest mistake you can make in life is to continually be afraid you will make one."
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 14
golfer
October 25, 2018, 2:01pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.30
Rep Score: +34 / -18
Approval: +3,428
Gold Stars: 116
Quoted from moosey_club

I.d find a place for Hooper even if it meant him playing left back  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 14
TonySmith
October 25, 2018, 2:27pm

Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.08
Rep Score: +4 / -1
Approval: +970
Gold Stars: 11
  I really don't get the calls for RHJ to be dropped. He gave away the penalty on Saturday and made one awful back pass under pressure on Tuesday, but all players make occasional mistakes and apart from those moments he has looked solid and athletic to me. His return to the team has coincided with a series of clean sheets. He definitely deserves to keep his place, in my opinion.
  J.J. Hooper is the player I would drop to the bench on Saturday. I would like to see Jordan Cook up front with Vernam and Thomas. I think that would be a potentially dangerous trio and we need to start scoring more goals.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 14
Bigdog
October 25, 2018, 2:58pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +36 / -1
Approval: +11,802
Gold Stars: 162
I'd maybe swap the two-footed Embleton over to the left and play Hessenthaler on the right side of midfield either side of Vernam if Pringle isn't game ready to enable a straight swap with Hooper. Something like a 4-2-3-1 or keeping the fluid 4-4-2. Don't get the Hooper supporters. He was really poor again on Tuesday and looked half-assed and was ineffective all game. Bit of a myth that he provides adequate cover to Hendrie in my opinion and as for going forward.. The game on Tuesday night was crying out for us to have a more dynamic outlet on the left. We are on a decent run without dominating teams despite having Hooper in the team rather than because he's playing..
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 14
2 Pages 1 2 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Gresty Road.

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.