Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Gresty Road.
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 310 Guests

Gresty Road.

This thread currently has 3,504 views. Print
2 Pages Prev 1 2 All Recommend Thread
Maringer
October 25, 2018, 2:59pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,491
Gold Stars: 185
I don't think RHJ has been playing particularly well, but he's our only right-back (assuming Hendrie is going to be a fixture on the left) and he's pacier and more athletic than most of the other defensive options. I don't think it is a coincidence that results have improved since his return, but that doesn't mean I don't hope he finds some better form now his fitness is improving.

As for Hooper, he's ultimately a bit disappointing in most regards, but he does a job and I can see why Jolley likes to play him out on the left. He's reasonably pacy, reasonably good in the air and reasonably strong on the ball without being particularly good at anything. He didn't play well against Colchester (and I missed the Exeter game) but he can offer more physically than any of our other forwards and I think that is what is keeping his spot at present.

Just a pity he doesn't try his luck with pot shots more often as we've seen he is capable of scoring belters. If you can hit shots as well as he does on (rare) occasion, you'd think you would try to shoot a bit more often, but apparently not.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 14
Tommy
October 25, 2018, 3:26pm
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.22
Rep Score: +60 / -15
Approval: +8,865
Gold Stars: 76
Quoted from TonySmith
  I really don't get the calls for RHJ to be dropped. He gave away the penalty on Saturday and made one awful back pass under pressure on Tuesday, but all players make occasional mistakes and apart from those moments he has looked solid and athletic to me. His return to the team has coincided with a series of clean sheets. He definitely deserves to keep his place, in my opinion.
  J.J. Hooper is the player I would drop to the bench on Saturday. I would like to see Jordan Cook up front with Vernam and Thomas. I think that would be a potentially dangerous trio and we need to start scoring more goals.

That'd mean a change in formation then, as we've been playing 4-4-2 with Hooper on the left of midfield.

"The greatest mistake you can make in life is to continually be afraid you will make one."
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 14
lee65
October 25, 2018, 3:55pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.36
Rep Score: +13 / 0
Approval: +2,483
Gold Stars: 10
I certainly wouldn’t bring Welsh back, nothing against the guy as I’m sure he’s a great pro but I think our increased energy and high pressing in midfield is because him and Woolford not involved

JJ will always be an enigma I think, he looks “lazy” even though I’m sure he’s trying

Same 11 for me, but at least we are now able to have a debate about changes because we have real options to bring in, which is good
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 14
Gaffer58
October 25, 2018, 7:33pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.88
Rep Score: +6 / -8
Approval: +4,096
Gold Stars: 33
Talking Walsh, is he on a 2 year deal, because just think how slow he'll be in 12 months time.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 14
October 26, 2018, 4:33pm
Guest User
Quoted from lee65
I certainly wouldn’t bring Welsh back, nothing against the guy as I’m sure he’s a great pro but I think our increased energy and high pressing in midfield is because him and Woolford not involved

JJ will always be an enigma I think, he looks “lazy” even though I’m sure he’s trying

Same 11 for me, but at least we are now able to have a debate about changes because we have real options to bring in, which is good

Welsh is (by all accounts) a model pro - with experience at a higher level.

We have a lot of youngsters who have plenty to learn...not least how to think about the game.

I can imagine him benefiting the match-day side even if he doesn't make it onto the pitch.
Reply: 14 - 14
2 Pages Prev 1 2 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Gresty Road.

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.