Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Classic Threads › Your Favourite Town League Game.
Moderators: Moderator
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 8 Guests

Your Favourite Town League Game.

This thread currently has 11,320 views. Print
8 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next All Recommend Thread
forza ivano
September 28, 2018, 12:22am

Exile
Posts Per Day: 2.46
Rep Score: +72 / -20
Approval: +15,128
Gold Stars: 265
Quoted from moosey_club

Thanks for that moosey. Don't often agree with ipswin but that does have the eyes pricking with emotion. God we were good then. That, mr hurst, was when we were spoilt! I still maintain that the period up to Xmas under laws was the best football I've ever seen town play in 45 years of supporting them.
Exeter at home was awesome but for sheer emotion bonetti was best !
I was also at the Chelsea 3-2 win in the pouring rain on that open terrace. Going home to Aylesbury on the train with my CFCs supporting friends was just wonderful! They were very very quiet safe to say.
I will throw a left field one in, which was a sparkling Jewel in the barren desert of non league.
A win away at Cambridge quite late in the season mid week. Frankie artus had the game of his life and we played some absolutely brilliant stuff. Completely played them off the park.
3 other ones are bonetti s debut at charlton where we had this wonderful dawning feeling that we'd just signed a magician
Wba away good friday(?) Luke cornwell scored with about our only chance .total backs to the wall and got a completely undeserved but vital win
And if we are allowing play off games Fulham away in the blazing sunshine at craven cottage

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 50 - 72
A.l.f.
September 28, 2018, 7:27am

Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.16
Rep Score: +6 / -2
Approval: +687
Gold Stars: 7
So many games in the 80's where we were exciting powerful and a joy to watch but if i had to choose one, it would be 4-0 against man City in 1980 i think at home.  
Simply the most one sided game ive ever seen and how it wasn't double figures i'll never know.
Would like to see some hightlights from that game again.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 51 - 72
moosey_club
September 28, 2018, 12:52pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.71
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,203
Gold Stars: 224
Quoted from forza ivano

Thanks for that moosey. Don't often agree with ipswin but that does have the eyes pricking with emotion. God we were good then. That, mr hurst, was when we were spoilt! I still maintain that the period up to Xmas under laws was the best football I've ever seen town play in 45 years of supporting them.

That Laws period was a good one, gets overlooked due to other headline events in his reign but his side played as good as the Buckley 2 98 era IMO, my favourite football would still be the Buckley 1 era though i think.
The evolution of video highlights was very much on the up at that time, Roly and John's commentaries were hilarious and we were flying on the pitch with a great squad of grafters mixed with quality and experience.
Plus you could rub shoulders with the players most weekends as they lived local and were out and about on the Town. Special times

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWLLDWLWL
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 52 - 72
FishOutOfWater
September 28, 2018, 1:18pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.15
Rep Score: +52 / -7
Approval: +6,564
Gold Stars: 37
Chelsea 2 Grimsby 3 December '83

For me one of Town's best ever away wins
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 53 - 72
FishOutOfWater
September 28, 2018, 1:25pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.15
Rep Score: +52 / -7
Approval: +6,564
Gold Stars: 37
Quoted from Meza
Another game I enjoyed was vs Coventry at home in the rumbleows Cup.  I think we won 1-0 courtesy of a Garry Birtles stunning free kick.  I was stood on the bar in the ponny  and saw Birtles free kick curl into the top corner.  We lost the 2nd leg 3-0.  Drinkell played for them but didn't play in the 1st leg.

If I recall correctly we beat Coventry 3-1 at home which meant we had a pretty good lead going to their place for the 2nd leg

It all went wrong when Tony Rees was sent off just after the kick off so 10 v 11 for most of the return leg - inevitable that they'd take advantage but what made it worse was Drinks scoring for them on what I think might have been his debut
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 54 - 72
mariners1
September 28, 2018, 2:01pm
Shandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.03
Rep Score: +2 / 0
Approval: +201
Gold Stars: 1
Can i just say that this is the sort of thread i joined the forum for. So many of the negative threads seem to be made up of repetitive negative bile.....though i'd die in ditch to defend free speech so please don't misinterpret this.
But this sort of thread..well i'd just say every single post is from 'supporters'. I've had my memory jogged by so many of the games mentioned.....particularly as i have remembered being at virtually all of them! Thanks to all who have contributed. Loving it and keep it going.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 55 - 72
Northbank Mariner
September 28, 2018, 2:32pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.76
Rep Score: +9 / -9
Approval: +7,443
Gold Stars: 171
For all the games I've seen, the emotions I've felt, there was something very special about beating Notts County 2-1 last season, the way it panned put and score with virtually the last touch of the game to save our league status...probably memorable for all the wrong reasons because we should never have been in the state we were, but I'll remember that feeling and that game for a ling time to come...so wish we had the positivity now that we felt after that game...
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 56 - 72
Lincoln Mariner 56
September 28, 2018, 3:00pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.61
Rep Score: +23 / -4
Approval: +7,648
Gold Stars: 71
Like many hard to pick one but a good number go back to my teens and the transformation of our poor late 60’s team, a few memories:

1 v Cambridge in late 1970 and the return of Sir Matt with a return debut goal and 5000 added to the gate

2 v Scunthorpe 4-1 hot day first game of season, Sir Matt hat trick and a great McMenemy season was underway

3 v Norwich league cup October 1971 my first experience of 22000 in BP unbelievable

4 v Exeter last game of that season another 22000, a Chatterley special and fantastic celebration

5 FA Cup 1973 and nearly 20000 fans travel to Coventry, trip from Rasen took 5 hours

6 Final one was Sheffield United 4-0 Drinkell hat trick final game, another great crowd and league winning celebration.

Life at BP used to be a real treat and there are so many more but none too many in last 18 years Spurs win aside.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 57 - 72
barralad
September 28, 2018, 6:20pm
Mariners Trust
Posts Per Day: 2.32
Rep Score: +85 / -22
Approval: +9,268
Gold Stars: 121
Another game which is off the general radar which sticks in my mind is a 4-1 away win at Luton in the early 90s. Paul Groves was unplayable that day. I think he scored all Town's goals.

The aim of argument or discussion should not be victory but progress.

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 58 - 72
Les Brechin
September 28, 2018, 6:55pm

Posts Per Day: 4.18
Rep Score: +114 / -24
Approval: +12,689
Gold Stars: 174
Quoted from barralad
Another game which is off the general radar which sticks in my mind is a 4-1 away win at Luton in the early 90s. Paul Groves was unplayable that day. I think he scored all Town's goals.

If it's the game I'm thinking about, we played in yellow and Grovesy got a hat-trick.

OFFICIAL FUNDRAISER FOR THE BRAIN TUMOUR CHARITY
TOTAL AMOUNT RAISED SINCE AUGUST 2008 £16613.24

LATEST DONATION - FROM DONATION FROM THE FISHY FORUM - AUG 2023 AMOUNT RAISED £170.00

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 59 - 72
8 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Classic Threads › Your Favourite Town League Game.

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.