Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Classic Threads › Your Favourite Town League Game.
Moderators: Moderator
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 15 Guests

Your Favourite Town League Game.

This thread currently has 11,319 views. Print
8 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next All Recommend Thread
grimsby pete
September 27, 2018, 11:31am

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.81
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,779
Gold Stars: 222
Over the years I have been able to watch the team I love beat some of the best sides in the country,

Apart from the  Wembley and cup games what is your favourite game that sticks in your memory,

I have a few the day we destroyed a good Man City team   4-1

Beating Wolves  5-1 then able to go home and watch the highlights again on TV.

Winning 2-0 against Sunderland the season they got to the cup final.

Trevor Wymark scoring when we beat Chelsea 2-0.

We have a great history so while we are all down in the dumps at the moment lets look back at the days you walked home after seeing our team show the big guns how to play good football and win.

There are many more games I could mention and I am sorry the younger fans who have only seen Town play in the last 15 years do not have much to choose from,

BUT

There must be one game you went home happy and proud.

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Les Brechin
September 27, 2018, 11:36am

Posts Per Day: 4.18
Rep Score: +114 / -24
Approval: +12,688
Gold Stars: 174
Winning 3-2 at Stamford Bridge after being 2-0 down, the day the IRA bombed Harrods.

At home, beating Exeter 2-1 to clinch promotion to the 2nd tier. Hearts were in mouths when Shaun Taylor thumped the ball against the bar from a corner with just a few minutes left.

OFFICIAL FUNDRAISER FOR THE BRAIN TUMOUR CHARITY
TOTAL AMOUNT RAISED SINCE AUGUST 2008 £16613.24

LATEST DONATION - FROM DONATION FROM THE FISHY FORUM - AUG 2023 AMOUNT RAISED £170.00

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 72
lew chaterleys lover
September 27, 2018, 11:54am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,653
Gold Stars: 234
Quoted from Les Brechin
Winning 3-2 at Stamford Bridge after being 2-0 down, the day the IRA bombed Harrods.

At home, beating Exeter 2-1 to clinch promotion to the 2nd tier. Hearts were in mouths when Shaun Taylor thumped the ball against the bar from a corner with just a few minutes left.

Mine is also Exeter, but May 1972 when we won 3-0 to clinch the 4th division title.

What a night that was! 24000 in the ground, incredibly; people on the Barratt stand roof, flags and banners being waved like mad and the atmosphere simply unbelievable. The town itself was in the grip of promotion fever, and even two of my aunties went to the game who don't like football.

The noise was incredible; the celebrations afterwards wild, and it is nights like that, that makes it all worthwhile in a way, but this current drought is wearing us all down.

What is also strange about it is that final game was a re arranged game due to the first one being postponed due to fog. I was in hospital at the time having my tonsils out and I looked out of the hospital window and it was bright sunshine, but it seems it was just the BP area that was enveloped in a thick sea mist.

Talk about fate. One day we will return - that 1972 night was after several years of decline so hope springs eternal.
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 72
wuffing
September 27, 2018, 11:58am

Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.41
Rep Score: +7 / -1
Approval: +821
Gold Stars: 38
Yes Exeter at home will take some beating for me. Forty of us hired a double-decker bus to take us from The Hainton Inn. On the way to the ground, the driver warned us that if we didn't stop bouncing the bus we'd have to get off and walk. What a day, pure nailbiting celebration. In the words of Clee band Orphan Boy for that day: Cockers knew!

'I walked in the dressing room. The window was open and I thought that a sea fret had got in. Then I saw smoke billowing from a pipe in the corner of the room...it was my centre-forward. He looked seven stone wet through. He went on to score thirty-odd goals that season.' Lawrie McMenemy on encountering the legend that was Matt Tees.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 72
Ipswin
September 27, 2018, 12:00pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.10
Rep Score: +44 / -47
Approval: -3,552
Gold Stars: 89
Town 7 Scunthorpe United 1

Green 3 Hill 3 and Sir Matt

Watched it in the Imperial open corner

Best night ever

On bended knee is no way to be free - Peter R de Vries

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse.....=public_profile_post
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 72
GrimRob
September 27, 2018, 1:44pm

Posts Per Day: 2.12
Rep Score: +76 / -34
Approval: +13,397
Gold Stars: 113
Grimsby 1 WBA 0 Ivano!

'Tis better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all.  
~ Alfred Lord Tennyson

Logged Offline
Site Private Message Skype
Reply: 5 - 72
barralad
September 27, 2018, 1:53pm
Mariners Trust
Posts Per Day: 2.32
Rep Score: +85 / -22
Approval: +9,268
Gold Stars: 121
Grimsby 3 Barnsley 2 Good Friday 1982.

Barnsley filled the Osmond-they were going for promotion to the old Division 1 and were in footie heaven when they went 2-0 up inside 20 minutes. No idea what the team talk at half time consisted of but Town were a different side second half. Whymark scored a belter. Waters ran midfield and Town won 3-2..

The aim of argument or discussion should not be victory but progress.

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 72
carrot top
September 27, 2018, 2:03pm

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.34
Rep Score: +22 / -1
Approval: +817
Gold Stars: 2
1972 Exeter game what a great atmosphere

[color=black]The Ecky 1977
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 72
marinerdazza
September 27, 2018, 2:06pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.89
Rep Score: +6 / -2
Approval: +4,781
Gold Stars: 81
Quoted from barralad
Grimsby 3 Barnsley 2 Good Friday 1982.

Barnsley filled the Osmond-they were going for promotion to the old Division 1 and were in footie heaven when they went 2-0 up inside 20 minutes. No idea what the team talk at half time consisted of but Town were a different side second half. Whymark scored a belter. Waters ran midfield and Town won 3-2..

My first ever game. I often wonder how much happier I'd have been over the past 15 years if Town had finished the second half in the same way they did the first...  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 72
marinerdazza
September 27, 2018, 2:10pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.89
Rep Score: +6 / -2
Approval: +4,781
Gold Stars: 81
I'll throw in Town v Wrexham in 1990. Purely because Garry Birtles was something to behold that day. A shame you don't get as many top players in the lower leagues these days now that they all earn bi££ion$ before they're 28.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 72
8 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Classic Threads › Your Favourite Town League Game.

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.