1 Pages 1 Recommend Thread
jamesgtfc
September 22, 2018, 8:25pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +20 / -5
Approval: +12,957
Gold Stars: 190
I am acutely aware that many have compared Michael Jolley with Russell Slade and used the term "Slade in a suit" but I think the term "Bignot with badges" is more apt.

Like Bignot, Jolley dresses smartly although Jolley edges it with his crisp tailored suits against the shirt and jumpers Bignot used to wear. Both consider themselves savvy with the media although Bignot did later declare his lack of media training was part of his demise.

Both Bignot and Jolley have a fascination with having as many central midfielders on the pitch as possible.

Admittedly under Bignot we scored goals, but under both we leak a hell of a lot. Under both managers the starting 11 is seemingly picked out of a hat. Both tell the media one thing and do another. Jolley said today and also last week that he wants to play with 2 strikers but we keep persisting with one up front.

We have very little height in the team and every week, teams look bigger, stronger and fitter than us yet we have two fitness coaches! I have said for years that we lack a player that can launch a long throw and after 41 games last season we found one in Mitch Rose but when the tallest player in our team is 6ft and we are launching it in to 6ft5 man mountains every week it is pointless.

A reaction is desperately needed next week and the crowd will undoubtedly turn when Kevin Ellison bags his guaranteed goal.

I don't want to get a sore neck watching the ball spend more time in the air but we need to add some height so we can compete a bit more from dead ball situations.

I hope Jolley proves me wrong and we can get a run going but I have a feeling we have all been rumbled. As others have alluded to on other posts and myself included, being a good coach does not make you a good manager.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Jimbob
September 22, 2018, 8:30pm
Shandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.01
Approval: +2
bignot could win games slight difference.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 9
jonnyboy82
September 22, 2018, 8:44pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.28
Rep Score: +71 / -36
Approval: +5,688
Gold Stars: 95
Comparing jolley to bignot is being harsh on bignot.

GTFC
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 9
HertsGTFC
September 22, 2018, 8:56pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.26
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,908
Gold Stars: 228
Quoted from jamesgtfc
I am acutely aware that many have compared Michael Jolley with Russell Slade and used the term "Slade in a suit" but I think the term "Bignot with badges" is more apt.

Like Bignot, Jolley dresses smartly although Jolley edges it with his crisp tailored suits against the shirt and jumpers Bignot used to wear. Both consider themselves savvy with the media although Bignot did later declare his lack of media training was part of his demise.

Both Bignot and Jolley have a fascination with having as many central midfielders on the pitch as possible.

Admittedly under Bignot we scored goals, but under both we leak a hell of a lot. Under both managers the starting 11 is seemingly picked out of a hat. Both tell the media one thing and do another. Jolley said today and also last week that he wants to play with 2 strikers but we keep persisting with one up front.

We have very little height in the team and every week, teams look bigger, stronger and fitter than us yet we have two fitness coaches! I have said for years that we lack a player that can launch a long throw and after 41 games last season we found one in Mitch Rose but when the tallest player in our team is 6ft and we are launching it in to 6ft5 man mountains every week it is pointless.

A reaction is desperately needed next week and the crowd will undoubtedly turn when Kevin Ellison bags his guaranteed goal.

I don't want to get a sore neck watching the ball spend more time in the air but we need to add some height so we can compete a bit more from dead ball situations.

I hope Jolley proves me wrong and we can get a run going but I have a feeling we have all been rumbled. As others have alluded to on other posts and myself included, being a good coach does not make you a good manager.

What have we seen that tells us he's a good coach? Coaching in sport and business is about getting people to think for themselves and make their own decisions, look at us in the final 3rd is that happening?

I don't want him sacked I just want him to keep it simple and pick a sie that is not based around what the opposition may or may not do. .

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 9
jamesgtfc
September 22, 2018, 9:43pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +20 / -5
Approval: +12,957
Gold Stars: 190
Quoted from HertsGTFC

What have we seen that tells us he's a good coach? Coaching in sport and business is about getting people to think for themselves and make their own decisions, look at us in the final 3rd is that happening?

I don't want him sacked I just want him to keep it simple and pick a sie that is not based around what the opposition may or may not do. .

His qualifications coupled with the length of time he spent at Burnley seem to suggest he is a good coach. I'm with you, we need stability but we also must ensure our status in this league is retained.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 9
Abdul19
September 22, 2018, 9:46pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 3.41
Rep Score: +71 / -26
Approval: +17,560
Gold Stars: 216
I'm surprised that Bignot had no badges.

JESUS AT THE CENTRE
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 9
GrimRob
September 22, 2018, 10:19pm

Posts Per Day: 2.12
Rep Score: +76 / -34
Approval: +13,403
Gold Stars: 113
Quoted from Abdul19

He got his orienteering badge in the scouts

'Tis better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all.  
~ Alfred Lord Tennyson

Logged Offline
Site Private Message Skype
Reply: 6 - 9
grimsby pete
September 22, 2018, 11:36pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.81
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,795
Gold Stars: 222
A good coach does not make a good manager,

A good manager might not be a good coach,

I don't care who we employ I just want us to win a game now and again.

Is that too much to ask ?

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 9
VinnyGTFC
September 23, 2018, 2:26pm
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.09
Rep Score: +3 / -5
Approval: +127
Gold Stars: 20
Quoted from Abdul19

He has the thread is just someone else talking nonsense that they don't understand.
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 9
Posh Harry
September 23, 2018, 7:27pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +15 / -3
Approval: +4,361
Gold Stars: 35
Quoted from Abdul19

I think he had the Tufty one 😊
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 9
1 Pages 1 Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Bignot with Badges

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.