Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: jamesgtfc, September 22, 2018, 8:25pm
I am acutely aware that many have compared Michael Jolley with Russell Slade and used the term "Slade in a suit" but I think the term "Bignot with badges" is more apt.

Like Bignot, Jolley dresses smartly although Jolley edges it with his crisp tailored suits against the shirt and jumpers Bignot used to wear. Both consider themselves savvy with the media although Bignot did later declare his lack of media training was part of his demise.

Both Bignot and Jolley have a fascination with having as many central midfielders on the pitch as possible.

Admittedly under Bignot we scored goals, but under both we leak a hell of a lot. Under both managers the starting 11 is seemingly picked out of a hat. Both tell the media one thing and do another. Jolley said today and also last week that he wants to play with 2 strikers but we keep persisting with one up front.

We have very little height in the team and every week, teams look bigger, stronger and fitter than us yet we have two fitness coaches! I have said for years that we lack a player that can launch a long throw and after 41 games last season we found one in Mitch Rose but when the tallest player in our team is 6ft and we are launching it in to 6ft5 man mountains every week it is pointless.

A reaction is desperately needed next week and the crowd will undoubtedly turn when Kevin Ellison bags his guaranteed goal.

I don't want to get a sore neck watching the ball spend more time in the air but we need to add some height so we can compete a bit more from dead ball situations.

I hope Jolley proves me wrong and we can get a run going but I have a feeling we have all been rumbled. As others have alluded to on other posts and myself included, being a good coach does not make you a good manager.
Posted by: Jimbob, September 22, 2018, 8:30pm; Reply: 1
bignot could win games slight difference.
Posted by: jonnyboy82, September 22, 2018, 8:44pm; Reply: 2
Comparing jolley to bignot is being harsh on bignot.
Posted by: HertsGTFC, September 22, 2018, 8:56pm; Reply: 3
Quoted from jamesgtfc
I am acutely aware that many have compared Michael Jolley with Russell Slade and used the term "Slade in a suit" but I think the term "Bignot with badges" is more apt.

Like Bignot, Jolley dresses smartly although Jolley edges it with his crisp tailored suits against the shirt and jumpers Bignot used to wear. Both consider themselves savvy with the media although Bignot did later declare his lack of media training was part of his demise.

Both Bignot and Jolley have a fascination with having as many central midfielders on the pitch as possible.

Admittedly under Bignot we scored goals, but under both we leak a hell of a lot. Under both managers the starting 11 is seemingly picked out of a hat. Both tell the media one thing and do another. Jolley said today and also last week that he wants to play with 2 strikers but we keep persisting with one up front.

We have very little height in the team and every week, teams look bigger, stronger and fitter than us yet we have two fitness coaches! I have said for years that we lack a player that can launch a long throw and after 41 games last season we found one in Mitch Rose but when the tallest player in our team is 6ft and we are launching it in to 6ft5 man mountains every week it is pointless.

A reaction is desperately needed next week and the crowd will undoubtedly turn when Kevin Ellison bags his guaranteed goal.

I don't want to get a sore neck watching the ball spend more time in the air but we need to add some height so we can compete a bit more from dead ball situations.

I hope Jolley proves me wrong and we can get a run going but I have a feeling we have all been rumbled. As others have alluded to on other posts and myself included, being a good coach does not make you a good manager.

What have we seen that tells us he's a good coach? Coaching in sport and business is about getting people to think for themselves and make their own decisions, look at us in the final 3rd is that happening?

I don't want him sacked I just want him to keep it simple and pick a sie that is not based around what the opposition may or may not do. .
Posted by: jamesgtfc, September 22, 2018, 9:43pm; Reply: 4
Quoted from HertsGTFC

What have we seen that tells us he's a good coach? Coaching in sport and business is about getting people to think for themselves and make their own decisions, look at us in the final 3rd is that happening?

I don't want him sacked I just want him to keep it simple and pick a sie that is not based around what the opposition may or may not do. .

His qualifications coupled with the length of time he spent at Burnley seem to suggest he is a good coach. I'm with you, we need stability but we also must ensure our status in this league is retained.
Posted by: Abdul19, September 22, 2018, 9:46pm; Reply: 5
I'm surprised that Bignot had no badges.
Posted by: GrimRob, September 22, 2018, 10:19pm; Reply: 6
Quoted from Abdul19

He got his orienteering badge in the scouts
Posted by: grimsby pete, September 22, 2018, 11:36pm; Reply: 7
A good coach does not make a good manager,

A good manager might not be a good coach,

I don't care who we employ I just want us to win a game now and again.

Is that too much to ask ?
Posted by: VinnyGTFC, September 23, 2018, 2:26pm; Reply: 8
Quoted from Abdul19

He has the thread is just someone else talking nonsense that they don't understand.
Posted by: Posh Harry, September 23, 2018, 7:27pm; Reply: 9
Quoted from Abdul19

I think he had the Tufty one 😊
Print page generated: May 7, 2024, 8:26pm