Approval: +476
Gold Stars: 3
Quoted from Stew0_0
Would like to see the return of 352 / 3412 formation

McKeown

Davis     Whitmore     Famewo

Woolford  Rose  Welsh  Embleton  Hessenthaler

Vernum     Cook

Think Hooper needs resting/dropping as been poor this season and Embletons creativity ahead of Cliftons guile to make us a more attacking force going forward. Vernum in as he deserves a place in the 11 though would have been Thomas if not suspended

Before Newport, I’d seen every game this season. For what it’s worth, I feel that Hooper has played well in the role for which he’s been selected. He shows excellent ball control, passes accurately and shows good awareness of those around him. He has also tracked back well to help out in defence. I really can’t understand all the criticism he’s received. He’s certainly not been our weakest player by any means.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 30
August 31, 2018, 8:10pm
Guest User
Interesting that most selections contain Woolford and Welsh. I'm ready for the X's but I haven't been impressed with either of them. Woolford had a good game against Lincoln and took his goal well. John Welsh isn't the quickest, his distribution has been woeful and his last ditch sliding tackles are last ditch as he is too far forward and is being bypassed. Maybe he's trying to do too much, he should just sit in front of the back four, receive and give the ball and break up play. When he goes that ten / fifteen yards further, the opposition are gliding past him and it's leaving gaps.

Woolford in place of Vernam in a three? Not in a million years for me. Woolford has to cut inside and get the ball on his left foot, he doesn't have the pace and athleticism demanded of the role. Can't fault either of the lads efforts, I'd certainly keep the skipper in the side, he's clearly a natural leader but if he could restrain those forward runs I think he'd be more effective. I really do rate Charles Vernam, I think there is a real player there and I'd love to see him running at them from the right of the three tomorrow.
Reply: 15 - 30
Croxton
August 31, 2018, 8:59pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.75
Rep Score: +14 / -4
Approval: +3,014
Gold Stars: 33
With you on the Welsh assessment. Let me take some red crosses also for suggesting Russell has some minutes if Macca looks rattled by gamesmanship/ high crosses or dodgy back passes. Vernam to start in any system you can think of.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 30
CatchOfTheDay
August 31, 2018, 11:01pm

Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.12
Rep Score: +23 / -2
Approval: +77
Gold Stars: 1
Quoted from 75
Interesting that most selections contain Woolford and Welsh. I'm ready for the X's but I haven't been impressed with either of them. Woolford had a good game against Lincoln and took his goal well. John Welsh isn't the quickest, his distribution has been woeful and his last ditch sliding tackles are last ditch as he is too far forward and is being bypassed. Maybe he's trying to do too much, he should just sit in front of the back four, receive and give the ball and break up play. When he goes that ten / fifteen yards further, the opposition are gliding past him and it's leaving gaps.

Woolford in place of Vernam in a three? Not in a million years for me. Woolford has to cut inside and get the ball on his left foot, he doesn't have the pace and athleticism demanded of the role. Can't fault either of the lads efforts, I'd certainly keep the skipper in the side, he's clearly a natural leader but if he could restrain those forward runs I think he'd be more effective. I really do rate Charles Vernam, I think there is a real player there and I'd love to see him running at them from the right of the three tomorrow.

Correct me if I’m wrong but didn’t Cook’s goal against MK come from Woolford’s right footed shot coming in from the right hand side?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 30
Mariner_09
August 31, 2018, 11:10pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.10
Rep Score: +19 / -13
Approval: +1,192
Gold Stars: 55
I've really liked the look of Welsh in the games I've seen (only MK Dons and Lincoln admittedly) but he was a decent shout for MOM at MK Dons. I think by all accounts the two games in quick succession against good sides showed on Saturday and the week off will help. Woolford was excellent in both games, don't get that criticism at all.

I've wasted my life in black and white, a pathetic act for a worthless cause
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 30
jonnyboy82
August 31, 2018, 11:30pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.28
Rep Score: +71 / -36
Approval: +5,688
Gold Stars: 95
The starting 11 cannot include JJ hooper tomorrow  , not slating him he just isnt good enough.

GTFC
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 30
4 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Team for Yeovil

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.