Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › New Stadium Rumour
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 94 Guests

New Stadium Rumour

This thread currently has 117,816 views. Print
79 Pages Prev ... 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 ... Next All Recommend Thread
denni266
September 15, 2018, 6:11pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.83
Rep Score: +13 / -22
Approval: +703
Gold Stars: 132
Freeking forget wasting money on a new ground,, Put some money in too a team, How many years have the so called board pretended to do anything for the club.. stop spending on false hope grounds  we just dont need it for a non league outfit that is us
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 460 - 789
Swansea_Mariner
September 15, 2018, 10:05pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.61
Rep Score: +22 / -3
Approval: +6,478
Gold Stars: 63
Quoted from Bigdog
Of course there needs to be a footprint that covers a 20k stadium or else what is the point of building it? Doesn't have to be an initial 20k, but to get into the Championship it will be a requirement in a few years time just as it is now for the Premier League. It will cost less than 10% extra to build that structure initially rather than build a smaller stadium and worry about the consequences later when the additional structural costs will be far far greater. And this talk about a 10k or 12k stadium being enough, again, what's the point? Just add the open corners back in at BP instead. This is the problem. Some fans can't see past the club's recent history. You build aspirationally for success not for what is perceived to be the status quo today. We should aspire long term to be playing the Bradfords, Sheffield Wednesdays, Sheff Utds, Barnsleys, Derbys etc. If we ever got to the Championship, and we had a decent team, there would be over 10k Town fans in the brand new facilities after a promotion winning season with demand for 3-4k away tickets at quite a lot of home games. We should build for that scenario, nothing less..

In my lifetime, this club has had over 20k home fans in a decrepit Blundell Park and countless games where home support is well into five figures. The people are there, they just need tempting back. A new stadium and a new board would go a long way to building some bridges and maybe then the people of NE Lincs could have a new re-invigorated pride in its local team again. A scruffy crumbling Blundell Park coupled with 17 years of a board treading water stinks of sterility. We have been tripping along at the very lowest of our potential, lower than I could have ever imagined growing up, we shouldn't forget that when we plan for a bright new future.

Absolutely bang on, no point in moving to a 10k stadium we might as well just pack it all in if that's the extent of our ambition. BP has a truly great vista, one of the best in the UK, let's only give it up for someti truly worthwhile.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 461 - 789
KingstonMariner
September 15, 2018, 10:40pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.04
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Quoted from rancido

To be fair the attitude of ABP is not just aimed at GTFC but anybody who wants to use their land. As far as The Ice Factory is concerned , their hands are tied due to the influence of English Heritage and the fact it is a listed building ( I think ).

This and many previous councils for our area have shown a very short sighted approach to most new developments.

If it was for EH they'd probably have demolished it by now.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 462 - 789
barralad
September 15, 2018, 11:03pm
Mariners Trust
Posts Per Day: 2.31
Rep Score: +85 / -22
Approval: +9,299
Gold Stars: 127
Quoted from Bigdog
Of course there needs to be a footprint that covers a 20k stadium or else what is the point of building it? Doesn't have to be an initial 20k, but to get into the Championship it will be a requirement in a few years time just as it is now for the Premier League. It will cost less than 10% extra to build that structure initially rather than build a smaller stadium and worry about the consequences later when the additional structural costs will be far far greater. And this talk about a 10k or 12k stadium being enough, again, what's the point? Just add the open corners back in at BP instead. This is the problem. Some fans can't see past the club's recent history. You build aspirationally for success not for what is perceived to be the status quo today. We should aspire long term to be playing the Bradfords, Sheffield Wednesdays, Sheff Utds, Barnsleys, Derbys etc. If we ever got to the Championship, and we had a decent team, there would be over 10k Town fans in the brand new facilities after a promotion winning season with demand for 3-4k away tickets at quite a lot of home games. We should build for that scenario, nothing less..

In my lifetime, this club has had over 20k home fans in a decrepit Blundell Park and countless games where home support is well into five figures. The people are there, they just need tempting back. A new stadium and a new board would go a long way to building some bridges and maybe then the people of NE Lincs could have a new re-invigorated pride in its local team again. A scruffy crumbling Blundell Park coupled with 17 years of a board treading water stinks of sterility. We have been tripping along at the very lowest of our potential, lower than I could have ever imagined growing up, we shouldn't forget that when we plan for a bright new future.

I might be misunderstanding you but I think the salient point is that Blundell Park hasn't allowed us to have a five figure crowd since the ground became all-seater. As such a 12000 seater new ground (with the option to build upwards rather than outwards) would give us another 20% capacity and would represent a decent start to the life of a new stadium. 10000 is no better than we have.
I have to disagree regarding the "potential" support out there. One of the things which has struck me whilst I've been looking at stats for this exhibition has been the generally low nature of crowd numbers. No-one would argue against the contention that the club have been extremely lucky over the past ten years or so to maintain the level of crowd that they have given the poor fare (generally) put in front of them. That argument falls down when you look at the average crowds in some of the Buckley years when (and I agree totally with the prevalent view on here at least) that we were priviliged to watch some fantastic "Pass and move" football. On one spectacular night we managed less than four thousand in a Division 2 match v Port Vale. I distinctly remember the debate at the time being about the tippy tappy football and lack of end product. (For the record Town walloped Vale 4-1 that night. Buckley had a way of sticking two fingers up to his detractors) .In our Division 2 days the crowds were often boosted by large away followings from some really big clubs such as Leicester, Leeds and the West Midlands sides. Out of the five figure gates that you can recall how many of them weren't one off cup ties or matches at the business end of promotion seasons? I would agree that we should be looking at a bigger ground for championship football but my preferred method would be to build on top of existing infrastructure. Over the past couple of seasons we've rejoiced in singing "Your grounds too big for you" at places as varied as MK, Coventry and most relevant Donny. Not sure I'd want us to join that less than illustrious band...it's all about opinion though.

The aim of argument or discussion should not be victory but progress.

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 463 - 789
Maringer
September 15, 2018, 11:05pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,683
Gold Stars: 189
Can't really expect ABP to give a monkeys about anything but the bottom line as they're owned by Americans, Canadians and Kuwaitis.

I think a 12,000 seater stadium with the potential to expand (if possible) by 50% ought to be enough for us. Need to get things right on the pitch first, of course.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 464 - 789
HertsGTFC
September 15, 2018, 11:10pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.25
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +23,027
Gold Stars: 232
Considering where we sit financially and in the EFL tonight I'd halt this thread now TBH.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 465 - 789
Bigdog
September 15, 2018, 11:33pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.12
Rep Score: +36 / -1
Approval: +11,802
Gold Stars: 162
Quoted from barralad

I might be misunderstanding you but I think the salient point is that Blundell Park hasn't allowed us to have a five figure crowd since the ground became all-seater. As such a 12000 seater new ground (with the option to build upwards rather than outwards) would give us another 20% capacity and would represent a decent start to the life of a new stadium. 10000 is no better than we have.
I have to disagree regarding the "potential" support out there. One of the things which has struck me whilst I've been looking at stats for this exhibition has been the generally low nature of crowd numbers. No-one would argue against the contention that the club have been extremely lucky over the past ten years or so to maintain the level of crowd that they have given the poor fare (generally) put in front of them. That argument falls down when you look at the average crowds in some of the Buckley years when (and I agree totally with the prevalent view on here at least) that we were priviliged to watch some fantastic "Pass and move" football. On one spectacular night we managed less than four thousand in a Division 2 match v Port Vale. I distinctly remember the debate at the time being about the tippy tappy football and lack of end product. (For the record Town walloped Vale 4-1 that night. Buckley had a way of sticking two fingers up to his detractors) .In our Division 2 days the crowds were often boosted by large away followings from some really big clubs such as Leicester, Leeds and the West Midlands sides. Out of the five figure gates that you can recall how many of them weren't one off cup ties or matches at the business end of promotion seasons? I would agree that we should be looking at a bigger ground for championship football but my preferred method would be to build on top of existing infrastructure. Over the past couple of seasons we've rejoiced in singing "Your grounds too big for you" at places as varied as MK, Coventry and most relevant Donny. Not sure I'd want us to join that less than illustrious band...it's all about opinion though.

The Buckley years coincided with massive drops in attendances throughout the leagues. Chelsea were getting no more than 15k at times, Sheff Utd less than 10k etc. The power of a new stadium and better facilities should not be underestimated if executed well in my opinion as long as the football being played is better than it is now. A boost in season ticket sales should improve budget and playing standards. We have a lot of floating fans that find a trip to BP uninspiring and are totally turned off by a JF driven club that's had no success in League football for at least two decades. Donny were a 2k at home club, Rotherham 4k, Reading 7k, Brighton 9k. You build the facilities, invest in the team, market it well and the fans will appear out of the woodwork..

I did say in my post about it being more cost effective by building the initial gross footprint and filling in if and when it was needed..
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 466 - 789
Bigdog
September 15, 2018, 11:37pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.12
Rep Score: +36 / -1
Approval: +11,802
Gold Stars: 162
Quoted from HertsGTFC
Considering where we sit financially and in the EFL tonight I'd halt this thread now TBH.

C'mon Herts, don't spoil the fun of us all drifting off into the world of pipe dreams. Thinking about the present is far too painful..
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 467 - 789
HertsGTFC
September 15, 2018, 11:58pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.25
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +23,027
Gold Stars: 232
Quoted from Bigdog

C'mon Herts, don't spoil the fun of us all drifting off into the world of pipe dreams. Thinking about the present is far too painful..

Fair enough............. I think when we move to utopia we should have a bust of our version of Herbert Chapman in the marble halls. We just need to find our Mr Chapman first.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 468 - 789
rancido
September 16, 2018, 8:23am

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.26
Rep Score: +41 / -10
Approval: +6,662
Gold Stars: 102
Quoted from WOZOFGRIMSBY
Here's a novel idea. Pedestrianise freeman street and maybe more, and create a team system for people to use. This could create a better park and ride imhi.

And, as mentioned, there's Grimsby docks and new clee stations already in place (though would probably need upgrading)

And who would pay for that? Network rail wouldn't and wouldn't it be worth the cost plus the disruption to all the timetables of the services for 23 occasions a year. Posters keep mentioning these two stations but it is an absolute no-goer and they need to realise this.

The Future is Black & White.
"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 469 - 789
79 Pages Prev ... 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 ... Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › New Stadium Rumour

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.