Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › New Stadium Rumour
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 99 Guests

New Stadium Rumour

This thread currently has 117,925 views. Print
79 Pages Prev ... 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 ... Next All Recommend Thread
ska face
September 13, 2018, 1:53pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +60 / -14
Approval: +21,948
Gold Stars: 857
It’s just ridiculous to let something like this go on unaddressed for so long, as fans are being turned away from the idea of PP post by post, conversation by conversation. At this point, if the club turned around and said that PP WAS a goer, I’m not sure it would be greeted enthusiastically as the consensus is shifting further away from it every day. This forum is obviously not representative of all town fans, but is definitely a decent sounding board, and I can’t remember seeing a positive, optimistic post about PP in years. That should tell a story.

Even if there’s nothing to really say, at least acknowledge the issue that’s being debated in public (it was on Radio Humberside ffs) and don’t stick your head in the sand. It’s difficult to control the narrative if you’re not active in it. Again...pretty basic stuff that someone in Comms/PR could have sorted easily!
Private Message
Reply: 390 - 789
RichMariner
September 13, 2018, 2:00pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.50
Rep Score: +42 / -4
Approval: +9,199
Gold Stars: 218
Quoted from ska face
It’s just ridiculous to let something like this go on unaddressed for so long, as fans are being turned away from the idea of PP post by post, conversation by conversation. At this point, if the club turned around and said that PP WAS a goer, I’m not sure it would be greeted enthusiastically as the consensus is shifting further away from it every day. This forum is obviously not representative of all town fans, but is definitely a decent sounding board, and I can’t remember seeing a positive, optimistic post about PP in years. That should tell a story.

Even if there’s nothing to really say, at least acknowledge the issue that’s being debated in public (it was on Radio Humberside ffs) and don’t stick your head in the sand. You can’t control the conversation if you don’t say anything. Again...pretty basic stuff that someone in Comms/PR could have sorted easily!

Exactly. This thread is getting longer and longer and shows no signs of going away any time soon.

The club need to address these questions otherwise the fans will continue to feel like they're being ignored, and that's not good. It's just one more thing to add to the lengthening list of things the club does (or doesn't do) that forces it and the fans further and further apart.

"Don't shine that light in my face, mate - I've just lost a pint of blood."
Logged Offline
Site Private Message
Reply: 391 - 789
lew chaterleys lover
September 13, 2018, 3:21pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,818
Gold Stars: 239
Quoted from RichMariner
The thing about Peaks Parkway is that the fans are asking questions - which they're perfectly entitled to do - and the fact that the club isn't responding suggests one of two things:

• It isn't happening, and the club is trying to work out how to deliver the news
  • The club still believes it's happening, but can't be bothered to give the fans a clear update that says as much

The truth is probably somewhere in between. I believe that the club thinks PP is still going ahead but they have nothing 'new' to add, from whenever they last updated us, so rather than open up the debate by highlighting how much time has passed since in the last update, and how little has been done in the meantime, they'd prefer to keep quiet.

That's not the right move in my opinion.

Basically, if the club comments on this topic, it'll only invite more questions than it can answer. If it's still going ahead at PP, why did Wheatley say what he said on the radio? Why did this rumour thread start in the first place? What's actually going on?

My opinion is that PP is dead, the club needs to accept this and start building bridges with local people, local communities and local councillors to find a solution that benefits as many people as possible.

I get the impression that these conversations haven't started and are unlikely to start as long as Fenty continues to believe - possibly out of desperation and sheer pigheadedness - that PP can still happen.

I presume PP is dead as the club don't have the money needed. They never have had the money, they have got no investors to raise the money and were pinning their hopes on someone else funding it. I mean, really, who is going to do that on the promise that sometime in the future they might get profit from houses built on the site. How many houses would they need to build before making enough profit to even get the footings in for a new stadium?

If the club make a fool of me and announce next week it is going ahead I will take a hit, but it sounds pie in the sky the more you think about it.

Developers have land already banked that they could build houses on anyway haven't they that doesn't need them to finance a stadium.
Private Message
Reply: 392 - 789
grimsby pete
September 13, 2018, 3:44pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.77
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,850
Gold Stars: 223
Does anybody on here know what the profit margin is on a new house ?

Are we suppose to think that the profit from building 600 is going to pay for our new stadium,

I have no idea but there must be some one who knows.

Over 37 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             69 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 393 - 789
Gaffer58
September 13, 2018, 3:50pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.87
Rep Score: +6 / -8
Approval: +4,103
Gold Stars: 33
There must be quite a decent profit, you only have to look at the profits of the big house builders and what they pay their CEO's in pay and bonuses.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 394 - 789
Maringer
September 13, 2018, 4:03pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,763
Gold Stars: 189
Quoted from grimsby pete
Does anybody on here know what the profit margin is on a new house ?

Are we suppose to think that the profit from building 600 is going to pay for our new stadium,

Depends on how much the land is going to cost. If the lands is being 'given' to them by the council then there is a good amount to be made.

No idea of the profit margin (which would depend on the amount paid for the houses as well as the cost of building them) but simple arithmetic would indicate a £30k profit margin on each unit would lead to a return of £18 million.

If the council wants paying for the land (or if somebody else owns it), then obviously this amount would fall.

That's one thing which makes the Freeman Street site an additional issue - compulsory purchase of land wouldn't come cheap, not to mention the cost of razing and clearing the site. The packets of land earmarked for the Peak's Parkway site are already available I suppose?
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 395 - 789
grimsby pete
September 13, 2018, 4:11pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.77
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,850
Gold Stars: 223
Quoted from Maringer

Depends on how much the land is going to cost. If the lands is being 'given' to them by the council then there is a good amount to be made.

No idea of the profit margin (which would depend on the amount paid for the houses as well as the cost of building them) but simple arithmetic would indicate a £30k profit margin on each unit would lead to a return of £18 million.

If the council wants paying for the land (or if somebody else owns it), then obviously this amount would fall.

That's one thing which makes the Freeman Street site an additional issue - compulsory purchase of land wouldn't come cheap, not to mention the cost of razing and clearing the site. The packets of land earmarked for the Peak's Parkway site are already available I suppose?

Thanks for that Maringer  I am a bit out of date with margins now,

When I worked in the building trade you could get a new house for less than £5,000  

Over 37 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             69 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 396 - 789
KingstonMariner
September 13, 2018, 5:01pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.02
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Bit of a rough calculation I did earlier, and I've made lots of assumptions but I reckon it would take thousands of houses to pay for the stadium. Anyone got knowledge of the market can update this:

Stadium cost £22m.
Guesstimated average selling price per housing unit £150k. Gross profit 33%. = £50k per house
Guess Developer contribution to stadium 10% of GP. = £5000
Therefore need 4,400 units to fund stadium
Approx area per unit 300sq metres allowing for bit of road, pavement, garden, garage, bins store
Total area needed 1.32m sq metres = 132 hectares or 326 acres.
Peaks Parkway plot is 22.7 hectares

Slide these assumptions up to £200k/ unit, 20% of GP contribution, and reduce space needed per unit to 200sq metres and it still needs 1650 houses on 33 hectares.

And I haven't even accounted for infrastructure costs. On the other hand I've assumed we'll have no debt on the stadium. If we had to find £7m ourselves as a club with the second scenario we'd only need 22.5 hectares so PP would be viable subject to being able to (a) borrow that amount and (b) service the debt.

Oh it's been over 6 years since it was announced that PP was being assessed as the site for a stadium.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 397 - 789
lew chaterleys lover
September 13, 2018, 5:15pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,818
Gold Stars: 239
Quoted from KingstonMariner
Bit of a rough calculation I did earlier, and I've made lots of assumptions but I reckon it would take thousands of houses to pay for the stadium. Anyone got knowledge of the market can update this:

Stadium cost £22m.
Guesstimated average selling price per housing unit £150k. Gross profit 33%. = £50k per house
Guess Developer contribution to stadium 10% of GP. = £5000
Therefore need 4,400 units to fund stadium
Approx area per unit 300sq metres allowing for bit of road, pavement, garden, garage, bins store
Total area needed 1.32m sq metres = 132 hectares or 326 acres.
Peaks Parkway plot is 22.7 hectares

Slide these assumptions up to £200k/ unit, 20% of GP contribution, and reduce space needed per unit to 200sq metres and it still needs 1650 houses on 33 hectares.

And I haven't even accounted for infrastructure costs. On the other hand I've assumed we'll have no debt on the stadium. If we had to find £7m ourselves as a club with the second scenario we'd only need 22.5 hectares so PP would be viable subject to being able to (a) borrow that amount and (b) service the debt.

Oh it's been over 6 years since it was announced that PP was being assessed as the site for a stadium.

Its just not viable is it? Even the infrastructure alone would cost a fortune, and who is going to pay for that? The cost for Xtreme on top, massive (for us) borrowing and thousands of houses needed to get profit in before even thinking of a stadium.

I don't think I will ever see a new stadium. New, more dynamic and wealthy backers in conjunction with the council might bring it nearer but I guess that will be too late for the Freeman Street option, if indeed it is being talked about.

I don't know how much of the fans ticket monies have gone into the process so far, but what a bloody waste.
Private Message
Reply: 398 - 789
NorthseaMariner
September 13, 2018, 5:38pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.19
Rep Score: +7 / 0
Approval: +1,523
Gold Stars: 11
You’re right Lew, it’s all pie in the sky. We have to face it, without a miracle we will never get a new stadium, I feel.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 399 - 789
79 Pages Prev ... 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 ... Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › New Stadium Rumour

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.