2 Pages 1 2 Next All Recommend Thread
TheRealJohnLewis
August 25, 2018, 7:20pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.31
Rep Score: +13 / -8
Approval: +2,308
Gold Stars: 39
A really frustrating afternoon, we were 2nd to every ball and resorted to hoofs up the pitch.  Ref was excrement but even if we had a good ref we would still have lost. No one particularly had good games.
Private Message
marinerdazza
August 25, 2018, 7:35pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.87
Rep Score: +6 / -2
Approval: +4,593
Gold Stars: 80
It was just one of those games. We’ve had three excellent performances out of five. Newport’s pitch is notorious. Even Podge took the urine out of it before he ended up there. All will be well.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 19
Caesar
August 25, 2018, 7:51pm

Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.26
Rep Score: +12 / -2
Approval: +1,794
Newport fully deserved their win. Much quicker to the ball and crowded us out when we had it while when they had it they moved it quickly so we looked exposed.

Ref was clueless and Newport used that to their advantage, going down under every gust of breeze. Know some think we need to be similarly streetwise, I would rather rules were changed as at times in the second half it was painful to watch as a town player got close to the ball, they went down and got a free kick. That isn't to say they didn't deserve their win bit boy it was tough to watch at times.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 19
newarkmariner
August 25, 2018, 8:33pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.11
Rep Score: +5 / -4
Approval: +751
Gold Stars: 43
Well back in Newark and gotta say that was poor,we looked very leggy from the off,they were first to every ball and closed us down forcing stray passes and eventually panic hoof ball, don't think any of our players played well, its as if 2 long journeys and the blood and thunder off Lincoln and MK have taken their toll, there no15 ran the show we couldn't get near him coupled with a poor ref and some strange antics from the Newport players who fell over at the slightest glance ,even Podge( I think a little less off him after his unsportsman like shenanigans today),however we got what we deserved NOTHING.
Please we are appealing the red card it was a crazy sending off,i think it was to appease the Newport bench who seem to have taken lessons in baffoonary from those twits in the Gimps dugout
On the plus side I found the Newport fans to be very friendly and was nice chatting with them at the Dodger
onwards and upwards ,we go again next Saturday,UTFM
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 19
GTFCH
August 25, 2018, 8:35pm
Shandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.02
Approval: +79
Having put our all into facing the top two teams in the league I can forgive the lads for a below par performance today. Plus it’s a horrible place to go, unusual ground, awful pitch (even in August) and we never win there. Yeovil won’t be easy they’re in decent form but hopefully we can get something having said that there’s no need to panic if not.

- I fully expect Wes Thomas’s red card to be rescinded without even seeing it. MJ’s reaction is all I need to hear.
- I feel for MJ at the minute because there is a missing piece to this side however I think he’s already signed that missing piece. Trouble is he’s currently wearing a knee brace.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 19
Gaffer58
August 25, 2018, 8:43pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.88
Rep Score: +6 / -8
Approval: +4,034
Gold Stars: 31
I just get the feeling that today the lads didn't have much left to give, it's been Tuesday/ Saturday for he last two weeks now and none of the games were easy strolls. Not to criticise MJ but I think he needs to rotate the players a bit to bring fresh legs in.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 19
Mighty_Mariner
August 25, 2018, 8:48pm
Pontoonite
Posts Per Day: 0.84
Rep Score: +42 / -9
Approval: +2,237
Gold Stars: 10
Thought Whitmore and Hessenthaler had decent games but everyone else was poor. Felt sorry for Cook as he was on a hiding to nothing up top on his own against 3 units!

"They shall grow not old, as we that are left grow old, Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn, At the going down of the sun, and in the morning, We WILL remember them"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 19
Bigdog
August 25, 2018, 8:56pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.14
Rep Score: +36 / -1
Approval: +11,802
Gold Stars: 162
To be honest I think MJ got his team selection wrong today. The changes that some on here wanted were made but as subs 60 minutes too late. It's easy to say they had little effect for the rest of the game but by then the flow of the game was established. It may have been a different outcome if Rose, Vernam and/or Thomas started the game. We all know that Newport are physical, work hard, have limited ability and move the ball quickly forward on an extremely tricky pitch yet we didn't seem to be set up to combat this or certain players didn't perform to MJ's expectation.

The back four were a huge positive coming out of this game, Whitmore stood up to everything as did Famewo, Davis defended well and the big bonus for me is that Hendrie looks a really good signing. Cook worked his socks off and held the ball well up at times yet seemed too isolated. Hessenthaler put another decent shift in but that's where the positives end. Welsh toiled today, maybe one game too many in a hectic schedule or maybe he didn't get enough support from Clifton who frankly just got outmuscled out of the game. Knowing how Newport set up, I really thought MJ would have brought Rose into the starting eleven. Down each side we were completely ineffective with and without the ball. Woolford had a very poor game and JJ was virtually non-existent, popping up to hand them their match winning free kick by sleeping and getting wrong side of his man. And that free kick. I think Podge did Macca there. Totally disrupted his lining up of the wall and Macca's thought process must be found wanting on this occasion. Totally flat footed and his starting position seemed to leave too much room over a three/four man? wall. What was added to our play by putting two up top and Vernam on the left was completely lost with Welsh blowing out of his behind for the last 30 minutes and the game was effectively over when the inexperienced and easily influenced young referee sent Thomas off for an accidental challenge on a player on his blind side who was trying to head the ball from below waist height. The red card should be rescinded but I've got a feeling that the League panel may wrongly come down on the side of a fledgling referee.

I think there are a lot of lessons for MJ to learn after this game. He tried to rectify it with second half subs but due to his initial team selection and a lack of further options on the bench (if he was allowed to make four or five instead of three) the game was already gone.

I've seen enough of our defence without Collins to not be worried about his absence. I've seen enough of Hooper to hope that he doesn't start too many games if he continues to play like he has this season. I've seen enough of Vernam to know that he can take on and beat opponents to give us more of a goal threat. I've already seen enough of Hendrie to know he will be a good signing and I've seen enough of Thomas to think the same when he's fully fit, which he isn't at the minute. Cook, Whitmore, Famewo, Davis and Hessenthaler all continue to impress, so even if today was an extremely disappointing way to lose to a very average side, hopefully MJ will learn a lot to quickly find the right blend that will bring a consistent level of play that will result in a higher average points haul as the season progresses. We are still nowhere near the finished article and the squad seems to be lacking a dynamic left sided player and also a more dynamic central midfielder if we hope to threaten a play off place..

A lot has been said about Newport's shithousing tactics. Well, I think as a team we are far too honest, and the sooner some of our players learn some of League Two's tricks of the trade, the sooner we'll become more streetwise as a team. Newport didn't create much, but deserved their win as they were stronger and more organised in all areas of the pitch..
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 19
Grimal
August 25, 2018, 9:10pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.90
Rep Score: +20 / -3
Approval: +2,850
Gold Stars: 8
Can't see why some are saying it's a terrible pitch ,they spent £750,000 last year replacing the old pitch that suffered from flooding with a new irrigation and drainage system and the surface is a new Desso playmaster pitch that is a mixture of both live grass and artificial fibres,similar to Man Cities surface.. Perhaps our players couldn't get to grips with an artificial playing surface,the bounce of the ball is completely different to when playing on normal grass,not making excuses for their poor display but could be taken into consideration.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 19
TheRealJohnLewis
August 25, 2018, 9:11pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.31
Rep Score: +13 / -8
Approval: +2,308
Gold Stars: 39
The pitch looked amazing today, so that excuse isn't plausible.
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 19
2 Pages 1 2 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Just Back

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.