Bigdog
August 25, 2018, 9:15pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.14
Rep Score: +36 / -1
Approval: +11,802
Gold Stars: 162
Quoted from TheRealJohnLewis
The pitch looked amazing today, so that excuse isn't plausible.

The pitch did look amazing, but players were finding it hard to keep their feet, the grass was too long and the bounce of the ball was indifferent to say the least. Newport knew how to play on it, we didn't. They went long from the off, we didn't. They had an advantage and used it well. If MJ could replay the game tomorrow, he would definitely not go into it with the same starting eleven or formation..
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 19
conscorner
August 25, 2018, 11:09pm
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 0.15
Rep Score: +2 / 0
Approval: +302
Gold Stars: 3
On the subject of the pitch - sprinklers activated after Town completed their pre match warm up -could explain why some Town players were losing their footing
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 19
HertsGTFC
August 25, 2018, 11:16pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.23
Rep Score: +29 / -8
Approval: +22,648
Gold Stars: 217
Quoted from conscorner
On the subject of the pitch - sprinklers activated after Town completed their pre match warm up -could explain why some Town players were losing their footing

MK did that on Tuesday and we came out and arguably played the best 45 mins I’ve seen us play since we came back up.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 19
Tommy
August 25, 2018, 11:31pm
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.22
Rep Score: +60 / -15
Approval: +8,859
Gold Stars: 76
Great detailed report from Bigdog on page1 of thread.

Newport played 3-5-2 didn't they? Would be interested to hear from people what differences there were in how they played it today to our performance with that formation on opening day.

"The greatest mistake you can make in life is to continually be afraid you will make one."
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 19
Maringer
August 25, 2018, 11:55pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.86
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,141
Gold Stars: 180
Did they have any pace in the wing-back positions?

If so, that's a pretty big difference to our 3-5-2 this season.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 19
moosey_club
August 26, 2018, 12:17am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.71
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,144
Gold Stars: 220
well....lets blame the pitch...their skullduggery....two games a week....i will say it as i see it.....a relatively harmless looking free kick sails in while Mckeown stands there rooted.... that was the difference today between 0 points and 1 point.....we played shite but could have realistically still got a point but for one set piece.
McKeown.....interviewed earlier in the week and said he hates coming to Newport, horrible ground to play, he's never won there, terrible record , Podge pretty much gets on his nerves playing wise......with that negative mindset should we have played Russell ?

Watching the goal...McKeown looks at the wall...the wall looks at McKeown....it looked saveable to me. Did Podge get in his head in the setting up of the free kick ? ....again ?

Dont even take a chance next time MJ, Russell to start next time out.

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWL
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 19
Balthazar Bullitt
August 26, 2018, 9:24am

Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.27
Rep Score: +10 / -1
Approval: +2,260
Gold Stars: 16
Quoted from Maringer
Did they have any pace in the wing-back positions?

If so, that's a pretty big difference to our 3-5-2 this season.

A little on the right hand side but more often than not the ball was simply passed through our midfield .
We were either stood off waiting for something to happen or chasing shadows.

I think it's been said elsewhere, but Newport were in our faces from the off with the same attitude we showed against Lincoln and MK Dons. Clearly rattled us as we struggled to maintain possession and our passing was very poor.

Think Michael et al have some thinking to do as it looked to me we were tactically out-thought. Early days though and this team has shown the standard they are capable of reaching - Yeovil are in for a thrashing I reckon
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 19
Bigdog
August 26, 2018, 9:54am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.14
Rep Score: +36 / -1
Approval: +11,802
Gold Stars: 162
Quoted from Tommy
Great detailed report from Bigdog on page1 of thread.

Newport played 3-5-2 didn't they? Would be interested to hear from people what differences there were in how they played it today to our performance with that formation on opening day.

I think the major difference was that they played a higher line than we did against FGR which enabled them to get close enough to not give us time on the ball and outmuscle us which is their biggest attribute as a team..They also played through the lines less and played the ball more accurately and earlier to the front two. From memory the pitch at BP on the first day of the season was dry with long grass which was not conducive to playing tippy tappy football and for different reasons the pitch yesterday was a leveller. Sometimes you have to adapt your playing style to the conditions, and until Thomas came on yesterday, we didn't. Our formation of 4-5-1 against their 3-5-2 yesterday should have given us a numerical advantage in wide areas but Woolford couldn't control a ball to save his life and Hooper was just as ineffective. Having said all of this, Newport just seemed to want it more yesterday and two or three of ours shirked from the physical challenge that Newport posed..
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 19
jonnyboy82
August 26, 2018, 11:59am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.29
Rep Score: +71 / -36
Approval: +5,683
Gold Stars: 95
We just simply wasnt good enough.

We can over analyse the game but the team from Tuesday didnt turn up , frustrating because we know we can compete to be a potential force in this league but being consistent is a must.

Play like we did against mk dons and we could be up there or play like we did saturday and we will be going nowhere.

Frustration is the word atm.

GTFC
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 19
RoboCod
August 26, 2018, 12:23pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.92
Rep Score: +70 / -19
Approval: +7,505
Quoted from Bigdog

A lot has been said about Newport's shithousing tactics. Well, I think as a team we are far too honest, and the sooner some of our players learn some of League Two's tricks of the trade, the sooner we'll become more streetwise as a team. Newport didn't create much, but deserved their win as they were stronger and more organised in all areas of the pitch..

Agree ,but it's a tough call at times. Watching Newport players sprint  50 yards to say to the ref they had a better view than him and he should show red for what looked to be very innocuous is sickening, and would be even more so if I had to watch Town players do it. But you're right that we need to wise up and show a more cynical side to so called 'sportsmanship' of the game.
As for the display, I just hope MJ has a games-quota in his head for those players not delivering. And I hope Hooper hit his quota of poor and lacklustre games limit yesterday and he's benched for the foreseeable.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 19
2 Pages Prev 1 2 All Recommend Thread
Print

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.