Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › The Coming Season.
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 115 Guests

The Coming Season.

This thread currently has 3,920 views. Print
2 Pages Prev 1 2 All Recommend Thread
mimma
July 30, 2018, 7:15pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.44
Rep Score: +15 / -2
Approval: +5,574
Gold Stars: 78
When defending corners, 10-0-0
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 17
jamesgtfc
July 30, 2018, 7:22pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +20 / -5
Approval: +13,041
Gold Stars: 190
I'm sure Marcel Cas played a few games as wing back for us under Paul Groves?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 17
supertown
July 30, 2018, 7:43pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.90
Rep Score: +25 / -9
Approval: +3,470
Gold Stars: 53
Quoted from grimsby pete

So thank John Fenty for employing Michael lets hope he stays a while , I am sure when he leaves for bigger things we will all be in a better place than we were before he was appointed.

Fenty or Jolley  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 17
SheepGTFC
July 31, 2018, 3:24am
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.05
Rep Score: +0 / -1
Approval: +288
Gold Stars: 6
this a message to yourself pete?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 17
1mickylyons
July 31, 2018, 7:42am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.53
Rep Score: +42 / -14
Approval: +9,388
Gold Stars: 56
I think were in for a really good season and I expect us to really come good after Xmas time.There is a real buzz in and around the Town again whether that`s down to the WC or not I don`t know but a definite air of optimism and expectation. A win Saturday first and foremost and that will see over a thousand at Macc then the Lincolnshire El Classico what an August.UTM
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 17
diehardmariner
July 31, 2018, 8:27am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.00
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,683
Gold Stars: 540
Yeah we tried variations under Laws, although it was a bit more lopsided if I remember rightly.  More of Laws doing a bit of a hero role and doing the right flank on his own, having two down the left and packing the midfield.  

Lawrence played his first few games here with 3-5-2 but soon abandoned it because we didn't have enough pace.

Slade MKI started with a 3-4-3 which switched into a 3-5-2 with either Parkinson or Sestanovich dropping into the gap between attack and midfield.

I'm in agreement with rancido about needing the right type of players for it to work.  There's a reason the system keeps coming back into fashion but equally so why it isn't widely used at our level.  On top of the ball playing defenders I think you need one dominant midfielder who is happy to screen the back three and cover both the gaps between their attack and midfield but also when his own wingbacks push forward.  Your other midfielders need to have energy aplenty and at times will be outnumbered.  Your wingbacks need to get forward and back all game but also have some quality in their delivery, they are the only outlet down that side of the pitch.  Your front two need to make the ball stick and have someone who can drop into midfield without isolating the other striker too much.

I think we're not far from that.  The issue would be a striker who it sticks with but it's definitely a system I think we could work with and if we get it right it's one teams will struggle to handle.
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 17
1mickylyons
July 31, 2018, 8:34am
Special Brew Drinker
Quoted from diehardmariner
Yeah we tried variations under Laws, although it was a bit more lopsided if I remember rightly.  More of Laws doing a bit of a hero role and doing the right flank on his own, having two down the left and packing the midfield.  

Lawrence played his first few games here with 3-5-2 but soon abandoned it because we didn't have enough pace.

Slade MKI started with a 3-4-3 which switched into a 3-5-2 with either Parkinson or Sestanovich dropping into the gap between attack and midfield.

I'm in agreement with rancido about needing the right type of players for it to work.  There's a reason the system keeps coming back into fashion but equally so why it isn't widely used at our level.  On top of the ball playing defenders I think you need one dominant midfielder who is happy to screen the back three and cover both the gaps between their attack and midfield but also when his own wingbacks push forward.  Your other midfielders need to have energy aplenty and at times will be outnumbered.  Your wingbacks need to get forward and back all game but also have some quality in their delivery, they are the only outlet down that side of the pitch.  Your front two need to make the ball stick and have someone who can drop into midfield without isolating the other striker too much.

I think we're not far from that.  The issue would be a striker who it sticks with but it's definitely a system I think we could work with and if we get it right it's one teams will struggle to handle.

I am still hoping for another striker before Saturday who can hold the ball up but if we get one more than likely a loanee now?
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 17
1mickylyons
July 31, 2018, 8:35am
Special Brew Drinker
Quoted from mimma
When defending corners, 10-0-0

I really fancy watching a 30 min Presentation on that
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 17
2 Pages Prev 1 2 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › The Coming Season.

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.