Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: grimsby pete, July 30, 2018, 3:44pm
There are some very positive vibes coming out of the mouths of most fans and the management of our club,

We all want the same thing success for our club and Michael Jolley has shown that apart from being a good manager and getting the best out of the players he has also shown that us the fans are appreciated .

The start of the season is nearly here and we anticipate it will be a good one and what more could we ask for than to start our home games with FGR  ( a win we hope ) then Lincoln in front of a full house ( we hope )

Lets try and forget last season with all the fall outs and bickering and stand as one and support what we all love GTFC,

Forget the statements from the board and the constand arguments about PR, things have changed so I for one will not call my mate Fenty or Mr shut up ever again we are all going on a journey that will end up who knows where but I bet you we are all going to enjoy it.

So thank John Fenty for employing Michael lets hope he stays a while , I am sure when he leaves for bigger things we will all be in a better place than we were before he was appointed.
Posted by: Ipswin, July 30, 2018, 3:52pm; Reply: 1
Quoted from grimsby pete

So thank John Fenty for employing Michael , I am sure when he leaves we will be in a better place than we were before he was appointed.

Not much of a challenge that Pete, I hope he has set his sights a little higher than that
Posted by: ginnywings, July 30, 2018, 3:57pm; Reply: 2
Just got my ticket for Saturday and am going with an open mind and no expectations. It will be the first time i have seen any of the new lads and i'm just hoping it's a good advert for football, and we win of course...

Going in the Main Stand for a change, with all the other moaning old giffers.  :)
Posted by: moosey_club, July 30, 2018, 4:07pm; Reply: 3
will be a whole new experience for all by and large, i cant recall entering a season with a GTFC side set up as a 3-5-2 in all my years of watching...used for the odd game here or there but never as a basic formation.
Posted by: Tommy, July 30, 2018, 4:36pm; Reply: 4
Quoted from moosey_club
will be a whole new experience for all by and large, i cant recall entering a season with a GTFC side set up as a 3-5-2 in all my years of watching...used for the odd game here or there but never as a basic formation.

Only time I remember us using it more than an odd occasion was Buckley in the season he got us to Wembley in 2008.
Posted by: Nelly GTFC, July 30, 2018, 4:46pm; Reply: 5
Quoted from moosey_club
I seem to remember Brian Laws using wing-backs, but I can't remember how long we used it for or which season.  Lennie Lawrence tried it for a few games but gave it up as a lost cause and I remember us playing a week day game against Nuneaton at home a few seasons back with three centre-backs and Paul Hurst gave up on it.
Posted by: mimma, July 30, 2018, 4:55pm; Reply: 6
Didn't we play 6 centre halves or something under Slade?

6-3-1?
Posted by: hheh2, July 30, 2018, 6:17pm; Reply: 7
Quoted from mimma

6-3-1?

Yes but the majority were kak
Posted by: rancido, July 30, 2018, 6:46pm; Reply: 8
To be constantly successful then the 3-5-2 system requires three ( or as an absolute minimum 2) ball playing and very mobile centre backs. Very few clubs in the lower divisions manage to acquire a group of these and consequently do not normally employ this system long term.
Posted by: Gaffer58, July 30, 2018, 6:59pm; Reply: 9
Quoted from mimma

6-3-1?

And we still conceded!
Posted by: mimma, July 30, 2018, 7:15pm; Reply: 10
When defending corners, 10-0-0
Posted by: jamesgtfc, July 30, 2018, 7:22pm; Reply: 11
I'm sure Marcel Cas played a few games as wing back for us under Paul Groves?
Posted by: supertown, July 30, 2018, 7:43pm; Reply: 12
Quoted from grimsby pete

So thank John Fenty for employing Michael lets hope he stays a while , I am sure when he leaves for bigger things we will all be in a better place than we were before he was appointed.

Fenty or Jolley  ;)
Posted by: SheepGTFC, July 31, 2018, 3:24am; Reply: 13
this a message to yourself pete?
Posted by: 1mickylyons, July 31, 2018, 7:42am; Reply: 14
I think were in for a really good season and I expect us to really come good after Xmas time.There is a real buzz in and around the Town again whether that`s down to the WC or not I don`t know but a definite air of optimism and expectation. A win Saturday first and foremost and that will see over a thousand at Macc then the Lincolnshire El Classico what an August.UTM
Posted by: diehardmariner, July 31, 2018, 8:27am; Reply: 15
Yeah we tried variations under Laws, although it was a bit more lopsided if I remember rightly.  More of Laws doing a bit of a hero role and doing the right flank on his own, having two down the left and packing the midfield.  

Lawrence played his first few games here with 3-5-2 but soon abandoned it because we didn't have enough pace.

Slade MKI started with a 3-4-3 which switched into a 3-5-2 with either Parkinson or Sestanovich dropping into the gap between attack and midfield.

I'm in agreement with rancido about needing the right type of players for it to work.  There's a reason the system keeps coming back into fashion but equally so why it isn't widely used at our level.  On top of the ball playing defenders I think you need one dominant midfielder who is happy to screen the back three and cover both the gaps between their attack and midfield but also when his own wingbacks push forward.  Your other midfielders need to have energy aplenty and at times will be outnumbered.  Your wingbacks need to get forward and back all game but also have some quality in their delivery, they are the only outlet down that side of the pitch.  Your front two need to make the ball stick and have someone who can drop into midfield without isolating the other striker too much.

I think we're not far from that.  The issue would be a striker who it sticks with but it's definitely a system I think we could work with and if we get it right it's one teams will struggle to handle.
Posted by: 1mickylyons, July 31, 2018, 8:34am; Reply: 16
Quoted from diehardmariner
Yeah we tried variations under Laws, although it was a bit more lopsided if I remember rightly.  More of Laws doing a bit of a hero role and doing the right flank on his own, having two down the left and packing the midfield.  

Lawrence played his first few games here with 3-5-2 but soon abandoned it because we didn't have enough pace.

Slade MKI started with a 3-4-3 which switched into a 3-5-2 with either Parkinson or Sestanovich dropping into the gap between attack and midfield.

I'm in agreement with rancido about needing the right type of players for it to work.  There's a reason the system keeps coming back into fashion but equally so why it isn't widely used at our level.  On top of the ball playing defenders I think you need one dominant midfielder who is happy to screen the back three and cover both the gaps between their attack and midfield but also when his own wingbacks push forward.  Your other midfielders need to have energy aplenty and at times will be outnumbered.  Your wingbacks need to get forward and back all game but also have some quality in their delivery, they are the only outlet down that side of the pitch.  Your front two need to make the ball stick and have someone who can drop into midfield without isolating the other striker too much.

I think we're not far from that.  The issue would be a striker who it sticks with but it's definitely a system I think we could work with and if we get it right it's one teams will struggle to handle.

I am still hoping for another striker before Saturday who can hold the ball up but if we get one more than likely a loanee now?
Posted by: 1mickylyons, July 31, 2018, 8:35am; Reply: 17
Quoted from mimma
When defending corners, 10-0-0

I really fancy watching a 30 min Presentation on that :P
Print page generated: May 1, 2024, 5:58pm