Posts Per Day: 6.07
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Quoted from Mighty_Mariner

FFS!

Why FFS? Seems perfectly sensible.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 42
Ipswin
July 25, 2018, 7:23pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.10
Rep Score: +44 / -47
Approval: -3,552
Gold Stars: 89

FFS!

Surely someone like you who never misses a game will know exactly which player is which without his name in block capitals on his back anyway I thought you might be better at numbers than actually reading.

On bended knee is no way to be free - Peter R de Vries

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse.....=public_profile_post
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 42
Mighty_Mariner
July 25, 2018, 8:27pm
Pontoonite
Posts Per Day: 0.84
Rep Score: +42 / -9
Approval: +2,237
Gold Stars: 10
Quoted from Ipswin

Surely someone like you who never misses a game will know exactly which player is which without his name in block capitals on his back anyway I thought you might be better at numbers than actually reading.

You really are a ray of bloody sunshine aren't you fella!

You've spent the last 4 months whinging about everything from choice of manager, tactics, signings and when you've run out of things you move onto bloody players names on shirts because it looks 'too jumbled'..... For Christ's sake have you ever seen the good in anything?!? You must be an absolute joy to be around at Christmas!

Back to your point.... I'm interested to hear just how you know how games I've attended in recent times? Or was it, as I suspect just a throwaway comment to back up your poorly constructed argument?

Also I'd say I fairly proficient at both numeracy and literacy 😁

"They shall grow not old, as we that are left grow old, Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn, At the going down of the sun, and in the morning, We WILL remember them"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 42
Ipswin
July 25, 2018, 8:35pm
Vodka Drinker

you move onto bloody players names on shirts because it looks 'too jumbled'.

Back to your point.... I'm interested to hear just how you know how games I've attended in recent times? Or was it, as I suspect just a throwaway comment to back up your poorly constructed argument?

Look at the vid of last night's game again, don't you think the shirts look better with just the number on that white background?

My throwaway comment was to pre-empt your inevitable remark about how many games I attend. If you are a regular can't you recognise the players without their names on the shirts?

Private Message
Reply: 23 - 42
Mighty_Mariner
July 25, 2018, 8:52pm
Pontoonite
Posts Per Day: 0.84
Rep Score: +42 / -9
Approval: +2,237
Gold Stars: 10
Quoted from Ipswin

Look at the vid of last night's game again, don't you think the shirts look better with just the number on that white background?

My throwaway comment was to pre-empt your inevitable remark about how many games I attend. If you are a regular can't you recognise the players without their names on the shirts?

Mate I have no interest in how many games you or any other fan attends.... Somebody attending 46 games a season is no more a fan in my eyes than someone who lives out out Town and attend 5 or 10!l

I actually like the names on the back of shirts, it feels like there's something missing if only the number displayed and a little bit Sunday league... But hey each to their own!

"They shall grow not old, as we that are left grow old, Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn, At the going down of the sun, and in the morning, We WILL remember them"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 42
diehardmariner
July 26, 2018, 11:10am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.99
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,601
Gold Stars: 538
Far more impressive performance than those against Clee Town and Sunderland.  Players looked far sharper and comfortable on the ball.  At times we played some lovely stuff and it was only the long grass (which is sensible from the ground staff) that held it up.

Defence is still getting used to playing it out from the back a bit but it's getting there.  Collins obviously looks the more comfortable of the 3 in doing that whereas Davies and Whitmore look they've not perhaps played that way before.  Famewo looks very confident with the ball too so I wonder if he'll force his way in.

Welsh looked the business after a couple of underwhelming displays previously.  Completely bossed the Donny attacking midfielder.  Sits nice and steady in front of the back three, breaks everything up and then moves it on.  Exactly what we need.  Also got the intelligence and experience to cover the wingbacks when they push forward too.

Hessenthaler has got a real engine on him and moved forward with the ball well.  Rose's stamina makes a mockery of where he was 12 months ago.  He looks a fair bit leaner too.

Not a fan of wide players playing on their wrong side, especially with a wingback as they're the only ones down that flank.  Hall-Johnson did fine and showed with his goal (and shot soon after) the benefits of a player on their wrong side but I think it leaves you a little bit vulnerable.  Clifton on the other flank has probably given Jolley more of a headache.  I want to see him in the middle but he looked excellent down that side.  

Up top Vernam looked very lively, although wasn't dropping as deep as I remembered from his first spell.  Hooper still looks a player who'll score 5 in 5 and then do nothing for the next 10 games.  A real Neil Woods type of striker.  Keen to see how Cardwell can perform when he's back fit but we're still missing one striker up there for me.  A proper physical striker who can cause problems, rough people up but also hold it up to bring others into play.  Hooper isn't that type of striker and if he is the striker we start with, there's no point in expecting him to do anything when he's got his back to goal.
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 42
chicaneuk
July 26, 2018, 11:27am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.21
Rep Score: +14 / 0
Approval: +1,486
Gold Stars: 5
FWIW I felt it was fairly jarring not seeing the names on the shirts.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 42
jamesgtfc
July 26, 2018, 12:14pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +20 / -5
Approval: +12,956
Gold Stars: 190
Must be pre-season when you have nothing to complain about other than the names on the back of a shirt.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 42
livosnose
July 26, 2018, 12:14pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.54
Rep Score: +14 / -9
Approval: +1,164
Gold Stars: 15
Quoted from Ipswin
I quite like the shirts without players names on, they look so much smarter and cleaner somehow, less jumbled with just the number and the small Youngs logo on the back.

Are names compulsory anyway? Do refs need the name when they show yellows? Surely the number is what matters so couldn't teams do away with names and just leave names on the shirts to the fans

If someone offered you a free holiday to Tenerife you would want to go to Elevenerife 🤣

[img][/img]
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 42
Ipswin
July 26, 2018, 12:29pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from jamesgtfc
Must be pre-season when you have nothing to complain about other than the names on the back of a shirt.

I AM NOT flipping COMPLAINING

I just thought the shirts without names looked good that's all

Personally I don't give a flying intercourse what footballers choose to have on their shirts, half of the illegitimates don't have their full names anyway just either an abbreviation or a given name that they expect everyone to recognise

Why does everyone want the names on the shirts anyway? Granted GTFC have had so many useless dossers on loan or on short term contracts that many can't tell who is who but if they moved a bit faster you shouldn't be able to read the name anyway

I just liked the shirts as they were in the Donny game OK everybody?

Private Message
Reply: 29 - 42
5 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Just back

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.