This thread currently has 9,736 views. Print
5 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 Next All Recommend Thread
Cloudy
July 24, 2018, 10:06pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.15
Rep Score: +17 / -8
Approval: +6,431
I totally accept that this was a pre season game designed to get game time into the legs and to help form understandings.

Having said that there were a few really good performances which is encouraging.

Collins and Whitmore were very strong and dominant. Davis did ok but a few underhit passes nearly cost us. If we are to play out from the back we have to accept that once in a while we may get caught out.
Clifton started poorly with his passes going astray but grew into the game and defended very well against Wilks in the 2nd half. H-J at left wing back was a huge threat going forward and scored a very well worked goal with a great finish from outside the box. Dixon actually made some good passes when he came on

Welsh was simply the best player on the park by a million miles. Years ago managers and coaches preached about having pictures in your head before you received the ball. Welsh seemed to know were every player was, opposition and team mate alike. Tackled and won the ball strongly, passed excellently. Dominated the Donny midfield.
Hessentaler was excellent too, tracked back, tried to make runs forward whenever  the opportunity arose. Rose had a slightly quieter game but still effective. Hooper and Vernam worked hard but we still need options.

Donny opened up on one occasion but Macca made an outstanding save.

Only 90 mins but encouraging but on the same basis (90 mins) Donny looked poor, Marquis who ripped us apart on his last visit turned in a nasty frustrated player more concerned with his hair than football.
Private Message
MuddyWaters
July 24, 2018, 10:13pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +31,883
Gold Stars: 230
Ladies and gentlemen, we have a midfield!
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 42
crusty ole pie
July 24, 2018, 10:19pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.53
Rep Score: +16 / -1
Approval: +3,311
Gold Stars: 62
Seconded cloudy was really encourage by what I saw
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 42
Stew0_0
July 24, 2018, 10:30pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.45
Rep Score: +20 / -4
Approval: +1,199
Gold Stars: 35
Thought welsh and hessenthaler were superb and clifton was everywhere. Harry is gonna be a real asset for us next season.
I told my dad that Welsh was a mix of Pouton and Futcher. A crunching tackler and lionheart but with the vision and anticipation. Hessenthaler has the tenacity of his dad but alot more mobile and a box to box player given the freedom because Welsh sweeps up in front of the back 4.
Generally defended very well though occasionally sloppy playing out of defence. Although he took his goal superbly, Hall Johnson is not a left wing back as uses his left foot to stand on. Expect Fox or Koiki (fingers crossed) to be the options on the left. Mitch Rose i am expecting to be the customary 2nd season improver of the season.

Hooper had a quiet game until the last 15 minutes and down the centre is definitely not his position. On the left of a front 3 as the end of last season is the preferred for me. Vernam was in and out the game but with some good touches and we still need a main striker.

Overall though a very solid game against a good league one side and i think a few league 2 sides will be surprised at how technically good we will be this season. Great workout and cant wait for the season to start
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 42
Hagrid
July 24, 2018, 10:32pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.79
Rep Score: +49 / -21
Approval: +19,987
Gold Stars: 508
I thought dixon did well when he came on. Put some good balls in and got up and down well. Clifton is not a right wing back. Hessenthaler wil prove to be our best signing
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 42
Grantley
July 24, 2018, 10:32pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.38
Rep Score: +9 / -3
Approval: +2,517
Gold Stars: 9
Think Welsh will be the player we wanted McAllister to be (as long as he doesn’t get injured!).

Jordan Magrew
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 42
barralad
July 24, 2018, 10:34pm
Mariners Trust
Posts Per Day: 2.33
Rep Score: +86 / -20
Approval: +9,195
Gold Stars: 121
For the first time in a while we appear to have genuine pace in a lot of positions. Very positive coming away from that. I know Vernam has been injured but his pacy late in the game run suggests he might be over it.

The aim of argument or discussion should not be victory but progress.

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 42
Garth
July 24, 2018, 10:43pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.93
Rep Score: +55 / -13
Approval: +4,913
Gold Stars: 25
Good end to end match which Town deservedly won, playing some good football, defence and midfield great, just need a target man to play off and we will be fine,  and probably cause a few surprises.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 42
Mighty_Mariner
July 24, 2018, 10:48pm
Pontoonite
Posts Per Day: 0.84
Rep Score: +42 / -9
Approval: +2,237
Gold Stars: 10
Quoted from Garth
Good end to end match which Town deservedly won, playing some good football, defence and midfield great, just need a target man to play off and we will be fine,  and probably cause a few surprises.

My thoughts exactly.... Ryan Bowman anyone?

I did come away from tonight thinking where does Cook fit into this system?

Would we play both Vernham and Cook up top together?

We'd need to play on the deck 99% of the time for that to work but as others have pointed out, L2 defender struggle against players with pace and movement.

For me we're only a recognised centre forward, pace out wide (RFW) and cover at full back away from being a strong, well-balanced squad that could cause teams a lot of problems this year.

"They shall grow not old, as we that are left grow old, Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn, At the going down of the sun, and in the morning, We WILL remember them"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 42
MuddyWaters
July 24, 2018, 10:53pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +31,883
Gold Stars: 230
John Welsh showed exactly why Preston fans love him tonight and his positional sense allowed both Rose & Hess to go about their work higher up the pitch. Very good signs.
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 42
5 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Just back

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.