Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Chris Long
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 293 Guests

Chris Long

This thread currently has 10,864 views. Print
5 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 Next All Recommend Thread
June 26, 2018, 6:31pm
Guest User
This would be an Awesome signing for us!! You don’t get to Play England U16,17,18,19 & 20s for being OK!!

A proven goal scorer, we can’t afford and they are in high demand. I honestly don’t think we’ll struggle for goals this year. I think the whole Team will be chipping in!!

I can’t remember a period of optimism quite like this.

Trust in MJ!! If it wasn’t for him, we would be playing Solihull at Home first game!! He knows what he’s doing!!
Reply: 20 - 45
Hannilowe
June 26, 2018, 6:33pm
Shandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.02
Approval: -74
Even when you take starts into account, his record is hardly dazzling. Throughout his career, he has made 55 starts, which means he has a rate of roughly a goal every 3 games. This is average at best. Also, its interesting that my above post about his conversion rate has gone ignored. At Northampton last season, he had a conversion rate of 18.8%. If Slade had signed someone with that conversion rate, most of you would be calling for his head immediately!

GTFC Transfers 2018/19

IN:
Alex Whitmore (CB), Louis Robles (ST), Harry Davis (CB), Elliott Whitehouse (MF), Jordan Cook (MF), Jake Hessenthaler (MF), John Welsh (MF), Akin Famewo (CB) [LOAN], Sam Russell (GK), Charles Vernam (ST)

OUT:
Sam Kelly (MF), Siriki Dembele (MF), Luke Summerfield (MF)
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 45
Teesknees
June 26, 2018, 6:41pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.24
Rep Score: +9 / -2
Approval: +1,596
Gold Stars: 18
Quoted from Hannilowe
Even when you take starts into account, his record is hardly dazzling. Throughout his career, he has made 55 starts, which means he has a rate of roughly a goal every 3 games. This is average at best. Also, its interesting that my above post about his conversion rate has gone ignored. At Northampton last season, he had a conversion rate of 18.8%. If Slade had signed someone with that conversion rate, most of you would be calling for his head immediately!

Are you an accountant?!
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 45
newarkmariner
June 26, 2018, 6:56pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.11
Rep Score: +5 / -4
Approval: +751
Gold Stars: 43
Has he upset you in a former life Hannilowe ,because your like a dog with a bone(stato) he's highly regarded and being chased by a few clubs, his record isn't amazing but as others have stated Amond, Conlon amongst others didn't either but turned out ok,If he signs and I hope he does take a few deep breaths and chill because you never know he may be awesome.UTM
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 45
MarshMariner
June 26, 2018, 6:58pm
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.07
Rep Score: +2 / 0
Approval: +471
Gold Stars: 2
1 goal in 3 is not average... but it is all about opinions...
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 45
tanga_the_indestructible
June 26, 2018, 6:59pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.11
Rep Score: +9 / -2
Approval: +620
Gold Stars: 5
Quoted from Hannilowe

This is a weirdly reductive way of measuring the worth of a striker. Firstly, we don't know exactly in what conditions he was playing in those games. Was he a regular starter? Was he mainly coming off the bench? Was he first choice? Who did he have around him that would help his game (and the team's)? How was the team he was playing for performing in those games?

I just don't think you can look at goals-to-game as the sole arbiter of whether a striker is any cop. There are assists to take account of, too, plus his work for the team. We've had plenty of brilliant strikers over the years whose goals-to-game wasn't all that, but we still loved them for their overall game.

One example. I took a look at Danny Ings' record at Burnley. Good enough to earn him a move to Liverpool. Considered prolific at Turf Moor. He scored 38 goals in 122 games. He was a great player for them.

I don't know anything about Chris Long, but then I doubt whether anyone else arguing on here does either. We have to trust that the manager knows what he's doing.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 45
Lincoln Mariner 56
June 26, 2018, 7:05pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.61
Rep Score: +23 / -4
Approval: +7,688
Gold Stars: 79
Have I missed an announcement of his signing otherwise there appears a long debate on the merits of a striker whose name was mentioned on that hot bed of sport Radio Humberside!!!!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 45
drbell
June 26, 2018, 7:06pm
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.02
Rep Score: +5 / 0
Approval: +269
Gold Stars: 14
Quoted from Hannilowe

Someone else mentioned the 'Championship Manager' approach of 1 in 2 or else your no good. I'd say that 1 in 3 at a higher level is a fantastic return. I recall we played 68 games in one of our Wembley years (98?), so someone getting 22/23 goals if they played regularly would not be acceptable? Madness in my opinion.

And more importantly than that, does anyone really think that a player who is young, and has a goals ratio of lets say 1/2 would be available to ANY team below his current level? If they moved at all, it would be up. If we want young players from above us who are likely to continue to improve, our only option would be to cherry pick players who have either underperformed, or found the above level just a little too much for them at this stage.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 45
darren9
June 26, 2018, 7:21pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.14
Rep Score: +7 / -7
Approval: +607
Gold Stars: 39
Quoted from Hannilowe
Even when you take starts into account, his record is hardly dazzling. Throughout his career, he has made 55 starts, which means he has a rate of roughly a goal every 3 games. This is average at best. Also, its interesting that my above post about his conversion rate has gone ignored. At Northampton last season, he had a conversion rate of 18.8%.If Slade had signed someone with that conversion rate, most of you would be calling for his head immediately!

Hi Russ.

Twitter: @DarrenLeeNewman
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 45
MuddyWaters
June 26, 2018, 7:24pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,242
Gold Stars: 235
Quoted from Hannilowe

I'd far rather we sign a 23 year old with that conversion rate (all scored at a higher level) than a Scott Vernon who was on the way down.
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 45
5 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Chris Long

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.