Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Quickest Town player?
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 316 Guests

Quickest Town player?

This thread currently has 8,327 views. Print
7 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next All Recommend Thread
dapperz fun pub
June 14, 2018, 9:08pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.59
Rep Score: +37 / -6
Approval: +9,929
Gold Stars: 82
Quoted from mariners1
Is nobody else out there old enough to remember Jackie Lewis?
i'd also say Stuart Brace would most certainly qualify especially when u consider the kit and playing surfaces. Blimey, my first set of boots wouldn't have looked out of place on a building site with studs that were nailed on to the soles....so if u were quick in that era then u'd certainly be very quick today

I really don’t remember Jackie Lewis being quick if anything I remember him being slow ... along time ago though so I stand to be corrected if my memory is shot
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 50 - 67
KingstonMariner
June 14, 2018, 10:10pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.07
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Jackie Lewis seemed quick to me. But then I was about 9.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 51 - 67
cannylad68
June 15, 2018, 9:16am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.11
Rep Score: +7 / -3
Approval: +33
Gold Stars: 8
Jack Lewis was the quickest from a standing start that I have ever seen playing for Town.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 52 - 67
cannylad68
June 15, 2018, 9:21am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.11
Rep Score: +7 / -3
Approval: +33
Caveman's resume of Freddie Jones is superb.

I think I am correct in saying that he played for Wales.
I don't know how many caps though.

I remember a similar incident with Alan Pouton, where I shouted open the gates.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 53 - 67
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
June 15, 2018, 11:26am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.34
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
Freddy Jones was probably the quickest and he would still be the quickest today and I don’t think Reddy would have got near him. Pocket dynamite. He was a better player than just a speed merchant, he was a genuinely two footed winger who could play on either flank, go outside the defender and get a cross in. He also had a decent shot. He got some under 23 caps but he was born at the wrong time for Wales though because Cliff Jones had that job sewn up.

Stuart Brace has to be in here. I don’t think he had Jones’ outright pace as a runner but he was the quickest I saw at running with the ball he was a better goal scorer than Reddy.

Paul Emson was really fast, deceptively so because he ran like a giraffe and didn’t look as though he was moving. There were a few left wingers of Paul’s type around at the time - Alan Hinton was the first I personally remember, and Peter Barnes.

Brian Hill was pretty speedy too in an Emson sort of way. John Waite only played a few times but he was very quick as a schoolboy.

One more oldie to chuck in here - a little right winger called Jimmy Pennington who I think came from Crewe. Going a long way back - anyone remember Derek Williams, brother of goalkeeper Clarry Williams? He was a bit swift too.

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 54 - 67
AussieMariner
June 15, 2018, 11:40am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.34
Rep Score: +13 / -4
Approval: +2,072
Gold Stars: 31

One more oldie to chuck in here - a little right winger called Jimmy Pennington who I think came from Crewe. Going a long way back - anyone remember Derek Williams, brother of goalkeeper Clarry Williams? He was a bit swift too.
[/quote]

I’m pleased someone has mentioned Jimmy Pennington. I was going to myself but tbh I don’t know if he was quick or just tricky. But one of my fondest memories is seeing him flying down the right wing past the main stand and I’m pretty sure he was providing service to Matt Tees. I would have been about 10 and full of Ada’s ice cream. Memories.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 55 - 67
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
June 15, 2018, 12:33pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.34
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
Quoted from GrimRob
I'd be amazed if anyone from the "old days" was quicker than players from the last 10 years. Fitness has improved so much that today's players are quicker and stronger than they ever were.

That is axiomatic Rob. The world record for 100m that was 10.2 sec in 1950 is now 9.6 ish. Physiques, diets, training, equipment  have all changed. The OP is asking who is the quickest player we have personally seen. Obviously it is going to be subjective to the time and a matter of opinion.

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 56 - 67
Maringer
June 15, 2018, 10:34pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,502
Gold Stars: 185
I would, however, note that the boots they wore back in the day (pre-70s, pre-60s?) were a heck of a lot chunkier/heavier than the modern era ones.

That's got to slow them down. Pace is pace, but players are taller and more athletic these days so I don't doubt the top speed ought to be quicker in the modern era. Over 20 or 30 yards? Perhaps not.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 57 - 67
Running like emson
June 16, 2018, 11:30am

Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.08
Rep Score: +7 / 0
Approval: +285
Debate over
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 58 - 67
jamesgtfc
June 16, 2018, 9:47pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +20 / -5
Approval: +12,957
Gold Stars: 190
Quoted from Maringer
I would, however, note that the boots they wore back in the day (pre-70s, pre-60s?) were a heck of a lot chunkier/heavier than the modern era ones.

That's got to slow them down. Pace is pace, but players are taller and more athletic these days so I don't doubt the top speed ought to be quicker in the modern era. Over 20 or 30 yards? Perhaps not.

It is very rare in football that a player will run more than 30 yards in one move. If you are quick in the first 10 yards you buy yourself enough time and space for most situations. Liam Hearn was explosive over the first few yards.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 59 - 67
7 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Quickest Town player?

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.