Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Quickest Town player?
Users Browsing Forum
Googlebot and 262 Guests

Quickest Town player?

This thread currently has 8,319 views. Print
7 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next All Recommend Thread
wigworld
June 13, 2018, 6:46am

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.58
Rep Score: +32 / -3
Approval: +2,080
Gold Stars: 29
Another vote for Tony Ford.
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 40 - 67
Davec
June 13, 2018, 8:17am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.17
Rep Score: +15 / -10
Approval: +1,440
Gold Stars: 42
I don't think Hearn was all that quick, Tom Bolarinwa has shown he's quick previously but we never really saw it here.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 41 - 67
Kris2
June 13, 2018, 11:36am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.65
Rep Score: +16 / -18
Approval: +2,628
Gold Stars: 136
Quoted from Davec
I don't think Hearn was all that quick, Tom Bolarinwa has shown he's quick previously but we never really saw it here.

He was pretty quick, the problem was he couldn't manage to use his pace while keeping the ball under control. 9 times out of 10 the ball would get caught under his feet or he'd miscontrol it and lose the ball.
Private Message
Reply: 42 - 67
mariners1
June 13, 2018, 7:21pm
Shandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.03
Rep Score: +2 / 0
Approval: +201
Gold Stars: 1
Is nobody else out there old enough to remember Jackie Lewis?
i'd also say Stuart Brace would most certainly qualify especially when u consider the kit and playing surfaces. Blimey, my first set of boots wouldn't have looked out of place on a building site with studs that were nailed on to the soles....so if u were quick in that era then u'd certainly be very quick today
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 43 - 67
Billywhiz
June 13, 2018, 8:37pm
Coke Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.01
Rep Score: +1 / 0
Approval: +51
Anyone remember an ex school teacher turned winger called Alan Gauden , seem to remember he was pretty quick.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 44 - 67
Caveman
June 13, 2018, 8:42pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.10
Rep Score: +9 / -1
Approval: +767
Gold Stars: 17
I agree with Golfer, Freddy Jones by far. The only
thing is he didn't know when to stop.

They reckon someone once left the Imperial End gates
open once and Freddy finished in Riby Square passing two
trolley buses on the way.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 45 - 67
Lincoln Mariner 56
June 13, 2018, 9:30pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.61
Rep Score: +23 / -4
Approval: +7,648
Gold Stars: 71
Quoted from Billywhiz
Anyone remember an ex school teacher turned winger called Alan Gauden , seem to remember he was pretty quick.

Certainly remember him, think he was signed when Alan Woodward got that career ending knee injury. Long time ago but personally would put Brace & Lewis ahead of him but might need New Footballer to settle that argument
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 46 - 67
Father Christmas
June 13, 2018, 9:39pm
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.08
Rep Score: +3 / 0
Approval: -10
Quoted from mimma
I'd go for Paul Empson simply because he was very quick in the second division (now the championship) were the players were faster.

Brace was quick but in the fourth division.

I remember when we were promoted from fourth to second in two seasons when a young Tony Ford was playing. In the first game in the second, a bloke behind me shouted at Fordy about him not being as quick as he was in the previous seasons. I pointed out to him that the higher up the league you go the faster the players you play against are and that he hadn't lost any pace, he was just playing against faster players..

Yawnnnnn
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 47 - 67
GrimRob
June 14, 2018, 4:56pm

Posts Per Day: 2.12
Rep Score: +76 / -34
Approval: +13,397
Gold Stars: 113
I'd be amazed if anyone from the "old days" was quicker than players from the last 10 years. Fitness has improved so much that today's players are quicker and stronger than they ever were.

'Tis better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all.  
~ Alfred Lord Tennyson

Logged Offline
Site Private Message Skype
Reply: 48 - 67
barralad
June 14, 2018, 8:58pm
Mariners Trust
Posts Per Day: 2.32
Rep Score: +85 / -22
Approval: +9,267
Gold Stars: 121
Quoted from Lincoln Mariner 56

Certainly remember him, think he was signed when Alan Woodward got that career ending knee injury. Long time ago but personally would put Brace & Lewis ahead of him but might need New Footballer to settle that argument

Gauden was signed midway through the 71/72 season (around the same time as Lew Chatterley) to beef up Town's promotion challenge. Another one whose main job was putting crosses on Tees head! Scored a few goals including the winner against Preston in the third round of the 72/73 F.A. Cup which earned Town the famous Coventry game and earned him the Daily Mirror inspired headline of Gay Gauden.

The aim of argument or discussion should not be victory but progress.

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 49 - 67
7 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Quickest Town player?

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.