MuddyWaters
June 12, 2018, 9:01pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,233
Gold Stars: 235
Quoted from chaos33
I agree. I would say it's been palpably obvious over the last two seasons, that we need a better quality of player than Summerfield in centre midfield if we want to challenge for promotion. The player himself has done well in spells, but we've really got to be looking to upgrade in my view. I am ambivalent essentially - I would be happy enough if Summerfield signed for another year but two would be a mistake I think. Can't fault the player's effort, but pretty limited technically I reckon.

All about opinions, but Summers completely bossed Notts County. Our company sponsored his kit last season so I asked MJ about the chance of him re-signing when I got my season ticket and he was very keen for him to stay.
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 128
HertsGTFC
June 12, 2018, 9:37pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.26
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,909
Gold Stars: 228
Quoted from chaos33
I agree. I would say it's been palpably obvious over the last two seasons, that we need a better quality of player than Summerfield in centre midfield if we want to challenge for promotion. The player himself has done well in spells, but we've really got to be looking to upgrade in my view. I am ambivalent essentially - I would be happy enough if Summerfield signed for another year but two would be a mistake I think. Can't fault the player's effort, but pretty limited technically I reckon.

Though his shooting has been poor technically he’s not that bad, good first touch, brings the ball down well, can turn with the ball at his feet whilst on the move, can pass with both feet and switch play when required. Not the tallest but can head it he also reads the game well.

Maybe with some better players alongside him in a stable settled side he might be a half decent signing for a side that finished 18th in 4th tier........ as TOC says it’s all about opinion.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 128
chaos33
June 12, 2018, 9:47pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +17,929
Gold Stars: 360
All fair enough. I'd like to start with a better player though next season. More influential. More goal and assist threat. Better than 'decent'.

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 128
The Yard Dog
June 12, 2018, 10:06pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.43
Rep Score: +14 / -2
Approval: +3,499
Gold Stars: 74
Who ever signs we need goals from our midfield, thinking about we need goals from our strikers as well this season.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 128
ginnywings
June 13, 2018, 9:38am

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.03
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,121
Gold Stars: 548
I can see both sides of the argument with Summers. He was easily our best player in a lot of games last season, and was one of the few who never let his head drop when we were on that terrible run, but the stats say, he doesn't score and he doesn't create. This is not too bad if others in the side are performing these tasks and he is merely there as a mopper upper, something he is good at, or possibly he could become more influential in the goalscoring and assist charts in a better side. He looked particularly good against Bolton last season in the F.A. Cup for instance.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 128
Zmariner
June 13, 2018, 9:43am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.17
Rep Score: +8 / -3
Approval: +2,127
Gold Stars: 44
You need players with some spirit when things are hard and he really showed this in most games. When others chickened our he did not , lacks confidence in front of goal but otherwise a starter for me. You get full commitment always should be a prerequisite I know. Also a very good engine  utm
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 128
grimsby pete
June 13, 2018, 9:51am

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.80
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,792
Gold Stars: 222
Quoted from ginnywings
I can see both sides of the argument with Summers. He was easily our best player in a lot of games last season, and was one of the few who never let his head drop when we were on that terrible run, but the stats say, he doesn't score and he doesn't create. This is not too bad if others in the side are performing these tasks and he is merely there as a mopper upper, something he is good at, or possibly he could become more influential in the goalscoring and assist charts in a better side. He looked particularly good against Bolton last season in the F.A. Cup for instance.

He cant run,

He cant tackle,

He cant head,

He cant score,

He cant create,

Apart from that he is a bloody good player.

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 128
mariner91
June 13, 2018, 10:13am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.64
Rep Score: +78 / -11
Approval: +19,637
Gold Stars: 261
Quoted from ginnywings

Personally I think it's a bit unfair to say that Summerfield doesn't create. I think he puts some quite good balls into the box which we didn't have the players to capitalise on this year. Just off the top of my head from the end of the season I can think of a fantastic ball to the back post which Rose and Mills contrived to miss somehow against Stevenage and another great cross to Woolford against Notts which somehow stayed out. He also set up the first goal against Barnet.

I'm not saying he is the most creative midfielder in the world but I think it's unfair to say he doesn't create at all. Frankly with the lack of pace and attacking threat in the side last year we could have had Scholes and Pirlo in the centre of the park and we'd have still struggled to score many. If we get some decent wingers and a good striker in to the team then Summerfield could be a very good midfielder if there is another in there to also help with the creative side of the game. As others have said, he's got a lot of really good attributes and his attitude is superb which we will need if we have a relatively young team.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 37 - 128
ginnywings
June 13, 2018, 10:30am

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.03
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,121
Gold Stars: 548
Quoted from mariner91

Personally I think it's a bit unfair to say that Summerfield doesn't create. I think he puts some quite good balls into the box which we didn't have the players to capitalise on this year. Just off the top of my head from the end of the season I can think of a fantastic ball to the back post which Rose and Mills contrived to miss somehow against Stevenage and another great cross to Woolford against Notts which somehow stayed out. He also set up the first goal against Barnet.

I'm not saying he is the most creative midfielder in the world but I think it's unfair to say he doesn't create at all. Frankly with the lack of pace and attacking threat in the side last year we could have had Scholes and Pirlo in the centre of the park and we'd have still struggled to score many. If we get some decent wingers and a good striker in to the team then Summerfield could be a very good midfielder if there is another in there to also help with the creative side of the game. As others have said, he's got a lot of really good attributes and his attitude is superb which we will need if we have a relatively young team.

Which is why i said his stats may be much better in a better side and it's not entirely his fault that his assist numbers are low. I think he did more than enough to earn a new contract and he is in his prime years now, so i think his contribution will only get better under MJ. The other side of the coin is comparing him to say McConville at Accy, whose goals and assists were very impressive and instrumental in their success. He totally ran the show at BP and is the type you need to be at the top end of the league. As i said, i can see both viewpoints.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 38 - 128
jonnyboy82
June 13, 2018, 10:35am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.28
Rep Score: +71 / -36
Approval: +5,688
Gold Stars: 95
For me its a not arsed if he does not arsed if he doesn't situation.

GTFC
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 39 - 128
13 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Luke Summerfield

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.