Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Quoted from moosey_club

only one way to go with the Harry's ...

https://uk.video.search.yahoo......5d3&action=click

Think FOOW was thinking more of this. the original Harry Wainman song  

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=heMCQ4yQ9vw

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 90 - 100
cannylad68
June 8, 2018, 8:30am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.11
Rep Score: +7 / -3
Approval: +33
Gold Stars: 8
Harry Beau  5.10  Brighton
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 91 - 100
Les Brechin
June 8, 2018, 9:23am

Posts Per Day: 4.17
Rep Score: +114 / -24
Approval: +12,710
Gold Stars: 174
Just asked a Crewe fan on a general football forum why a lot of them didn't rate Davis and got this rather long-winded reply.

Quoted Text
You do realise his Dad was the manager right?

If he wasn't related to the manager I guarantee he'd have been out in 2014 and he'd have played half the games he featured in. He never had the potential to play any higher than Crewe because he was slow, made too many mistakes and he was a very limited defender. He wasn't one of our worst though, but as Timey says, his time here was very much under a cloud.

In a Summer where we only signed a backup goalkeeper as we had to make a series of draconian cuts to our budget, he was celebrated like a £200,000 signing the moment he was given the number 3 shirt despite making 0 professional starts at league level and being played out of position at RB which caused our natural RB, Matt Tootle, to be played at LB. Where's the logic in that?

He made a few errors in his first few games which cost us points. In the end, emerging talent Kelvin Mellor would fill in at LB with Matt Tootle going back to RB. But the management (now under Steve) had a weird few games when they actually played him in CM. It was like they were trying to find any way possible to get him into the team. They even put Tootle in midfield to accommodate him towards the end of the season too. But he did do well towards the end.

Then in League One, I remember us having a shocker against Brentford where we were hammered 5-1. Mark Ellis (signed for £80,000 from Torquay) and Harry Davis playing at RB had two shocking games. So Davis pinpointed the blame on Adam Dugdale (the best of a bad bunch at the back that day) for the poor performance, exiled him from the team and tried Davis with Ellis at CB. Unless he was injured (which he would be for most of the next 4 years), Harry was here to stay at CB so long as he was fit and his Dad was the manager.

Our defence was very bad in League One bar for a few months when Harry Davis was injured and we brought in an experienced centre half in Alan Tate from Swansea. The difference was phenomenal. So what did we do? Tate's legs had gone in fairness and he was injured so we couldn't sign him up permanently, but surely we realised Harry wasn't experienced enough or fit enough to last more than half a season to defend with another young defender like Ray or Guthrie?

Dad comes out saying "There's no need for an experienced defender when we have H at the club" which smacked of absolute nepotism for a start when he was a key contributor to us conceding tons of goals along with the other misfits we played alongside him. We then signed Ben Nugent, an average defender who actually did alright for us when we loaned another CB in he knew from Cardiff, Semi Ajayi after Harry had one of his many long-term injuries early on in the season. I mean the whole side was pitiful that season, but the best form we had was when those two were the defensive pairing.

Harry comes back from injury, Ajayi is copulated off back to Cardiff and we only win one game for the rest of the season. Captain Harry does his usual routine of making a mistake, a goal going in and then shouting and bawling at the nearest person to him. He was never captain material in the first place and we all know why he got that armband too, the same way he got a stupid contract that made him the highest paid player at the club. Nepotism.

Harry played every game for us in the 2016-17 season until his Dad was sacked and looked just as poor as he did in League One and we slid down towards the bottom 2. Then his Dad was sacked and I thought that this could be an opportunity for him to prove his critics wrong now his Dad was nowhere near the club. Unfortunately, he decided to kick off and go on strike. It's one thing being a poor footballer (we've had many and I don't dislike them but you cut your losses) but going on strike and disrespecting your lavish contract? I couldn't wait for us to get rid of the self-entitled sharp object.

So in conclusion, a mixture of nepotism, releasing injury prone players yet keeping him on and giving him two significant pay rises despite being a treatment room regular, too many second chances, self-entitlement, getting opportunities other players wouldn't get and being quite an odious character are the reasons why he's not looked at so fondly despite the 200 odd appearances he made for us (sadly). I'm one of those that rarely boos opposition players (our fans love booing Tom Pope for instance but I liked him when he was with us so I don't) but he'd deserve 90 minutes of boos for sure.

Least you didn't get his Dad to manage you, that would've been much, much worse...

[img]https://news.images.itv.com/image/file/402260/image_update_img.jpg[/img]
OFFICIAL FUNDRAISER FOR THE BRAIN TUMOUR CHARITY
TOTAL AMOUNT RAISED SINCE AUGUST 2008 £16613.24

LATEST DONATION - FROM DONATION FROM THE FISHY FORUM - AUG 2023 AMOUNT RAISED £170.00

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 92 - 100
diehardmariner
June 8, 2018, 9:41am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.99
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,612
Gold Stars: 538
Crikey, do you reckon he's not keen on Davis?
Private Message
Reply: 93 - 100
psgmariner
June 8, 2018, 9:45am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.69
Rep Score: +39 / -15
Approval: +5,480
Gold Stars: 33
He’s like the Crewe Adam Buckley.

Private Message
Reply: 94 - 100
forza ivano
June 8, 2018, 9:49am

Exile
Posts Per Day: 2.46
Rep Score: +72 / -20
Approval: +15,170
Gold Stars: 265
you can understand the dislike, bit like berrett being an automatic pick when we had mcallister,rose, clifton and woolford all of whom would have done a better job.

for sake of balance here's the view from North Marston's resident St. Mirren fan (it's a hot bed of support for teams playing in black and white!)

Good signing, Andy. I think the stats show that the Saints conceded fewer goals with him in the team. He was out injured for some of the season. Endeared himself to our fans by putting us a goal up in a cup tie at Celtic Park (lost 4-1 in the end, but not before hitting the bar while a goal up, and we were bottom of the Championship at the time). Saints would no doubt have liked him to stay, but he wanted to go back to England, and has clearly found another black and white home pretty quickly.

Hope he does well for your boys - I’m sure he will.

Jim
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 95 - 100
Ipswin
June 8, 2018, 10:57am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.10
Rep Score: +44 / -47
Approval: -3,552
Gold Stars: 89
Quoted from KingstonMariner

Think FOOW was thinking more of this. the original Harry Wainman song  

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=heMCQ4yQ9vw

That brings back so many memories All three of our Harrys surnames fit this too

On bended knee is no way to be free - Peter R de Vries

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse.....=public_profile_post
Private Message
Reply: 96 - 100
sam gy
June 8, 2018, 2:42pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.33
Rep Score: +18 / -3
Approval: +5,477
Gold Stars: 55
Quoted from Les Brechin
Just asked a Crewe fan on a general football forum why a lot of them didn't rate Davis and got this rather long-winded reply.

Basically: a young player who also happened to be the son of an unpopular manager made a few mistakes whilst learning his trade and all of the Crewe fans hate him.

[img]https://scontent-lhr3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xla1/v/t1.0-9/12039761_10156639571185103_2884197968019429473_n.jpg?oh=184cac2706832a1b1dd4d6a0420a6f87&oe=574C5F4F[/img]
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 97 - 100
TheGoalKipper
June 8, 2018, 3:38pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.16
Rep Score: +2 / 0
Approval: +321
Defenders all make mistakes and get slated for it - especially if the forwards cant score to compensate. If you dont sign players who make mistakes you wouldnt sign anyone. The question is has he cut out most of them with experience.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 98 - 100
June 8, 2018, 4:56pm
Guest User
Quoted from Les Brechin

Looks like he could be Crewe's Ipswin!

Reply: 99 - 100
11 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Harry Davis

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.