Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: The Singing Fisherman, June 4, 2018, 10:20pm
St Mirren defender signing for us this week. Well thought of by there fans. Looks a solid signing
Posted by: jamesgtfc, June 4, 2018, 10:22pm; Reply: 1
St Mirren defender signing for us this week. Well thought of by there fans. Looks a solid signing

Believe it when I see it but he can't be any worse than the last defender from Scotland; Mad Gav Gunning.
Posted by: The Singing Fisherman, June 4, 2018, 10:24pm; Reply: 2
Hes in a different bracket to mad gav gunning in a good way.
Posted by: OllieGTFC, June 4, 2018, 10:36pm; Reply: 3
Guess where he is born 🙈, yep Burnley 😂😂
Posted by: The Singing Fisherman, June 4, 2018, 10:40pm; Reply: 4
Worked with Jolley at Crewe
Posted by: Tommy, June 4, 2018, 10:44pm; Reply: 5
Worked with Jolley at Crewe

He was in the first team before Jolley arrived as an Academy Coach. So while MJ might know about him from this spell, it doesn't look like he worked with him there.
Posted by: lukeo, June 4, 2018, 10:45pm; Reply: 6
Wrong side of 30.. Oh wait Slade isn't in charge
Posted by: The Singing Fisherman, June 4, 2018, 10:47pm; Reply: 7
Jolley worked at crewe when davis played there so will know a bit about him. Is that better stato?
Posted by: The Yard Dog, June 4, 2018, 10:57pm; Reply: 8
played 110+ in a higher league, scored a few goals as well and the right age.

The pieces of jigsaw are fitting in nicely this season.

Posted by: Mariner56, June 4, 2018, 11:19pm; Reply: 9
Hope this is true. The St Mirren fans loved this guy. He was offered a contact extension but wanted to return to England for family reasons.
Posted by: OllieGTFC, June 4, 2018, 11:20pm; Reply: 10
Have heard he could be going to Ipswich
Posted by: Tommy, June 4, 2018, 11:33pm; Reply: 11
Jolley worked at crewe when davis played there so will know a bit about him. Is that better stato?

Well yeah, that's pretty much what I said.

Don't know about "statto", just didn't think it was accurate to say he'd worked with him, when MJ could have been working with the u12s while Davis was in the first team.
Posted by: forza ivano, June 4, 2018, 11:36pm; Reply: 12
http://www.blackandwhitearmy.com/forums/index.php?/topic/44441-bye-harry-thanks-for-the-memories/       lots of good things being said here. Good reader of the game,good positional  sense, sweeper type centre half. Sounds like the sort of young intelligent ' proper footballer' that jolley seems to want. Saw it rumoured on Facebook earlier today but didn't know if there was any basis to it
Son of Steve davis the old crewe stalwart and manager
Posted by: Grantley, June 5, 2018, 12:00am; Reply: 13
Crewe fans not too impressed by him.
Posted by: ska face, June 5, 2018, 12:03am; Reply: 14
Crewe fans were quite impressed with Barry Bennell. So...yano...
Posted by: fiveallive, June 5, 2018, 1:18am; Reply: 15
If we sign Davis and we already have Whitmore, hopefully keep Collins aswell, decent centre back options with a old head in Collins.
Posted by: Mighty_Mariner, June 5, 2018, 1:33am; Reply: 16
Looks very 'Rob Atkinson-esq' in his wiki photo 🙄.... How he plays better....

On a side note... Does anybody know how to add pictures using a mobile?
Posted by: pizzzza, June 5, 2018, 6:17am; Reply: 17
Quoted from forza ivano

Interesting....
Posted by: MuddyWaters, June 5, 2018, 6:55am; Reply: 18
And we can use the old Radio 1/now Radio 2  DJ Gary Davies jingle as a song!
Posted by: golfer, June 5, 2018, 7:47am; Reply: 19
Quoted from forza ivano
http://www.blackandwhitearmy.com/forums/index.php?/topic/44441-bye-harry-thanks-for-the-memories/       lots of good things being said here. Good reader of the game,good positional  sense, sweeper type centre half. Sounds like the sort of young intelligent ' proper footballer' that jolley seems to want. Saw it rumoured on Facebook earlier today but didn't know if there was any basis to it

Hope he hits the white ball before the black
Posted by: Davec, June 5, 2018, 8:46am; Reply: 20
I don't get Crewe fans, he was a key player when they got promoted from league 2 and was a key player when they finished a respectable 13th in league 1 the following season, so he's clearly got something about him, I'm sure he'll be fine if he signs.
Posted by: promotion plaice, June 5, 2018, 9:01am; Reply: 21
Quoted from golfer

Hope he hits the white ball before the black

His younger brother is Joe Davis at Port Vale   ;)

Posted by: sam gy, June 5, 2018, 9:03am; Reply: 22
Sounds promising and played a lot of games for Crewe. Anyone know why he only played 20 games last season? Injury?
Posted by: ginnywings, June 5, 2018, 9:26am; Reply: 23
Quoted from sam gy
Sounds promising and played a lot of games for Crewe. Anyone know why he only played 20 games last season? Injury?

Yes, he got injured, which meant he did not play enough games to automatically trigger another year on his contract. He was offered another year anyway, but decided to turn it down. Hope he does come here as he sounds ideal.
Posted by: grimsby pete, June 5, 2018, 9:39am; Reply: 24
Quoted from promotion plaice

His  brother is Joe Davis    ;)

Now he was a good snooker player  ;)

Posted by: Mariner55, June 5, 2018, 10:29am; Reply: 25
His brother Joe (also a defender) has been transfer-listed by Port Vale.

A Band of Brothers ...?
Posted by: Jarmo.Is.God, June 5, 2018, 11:33am; Reply: 26
Some St Mirren fans think he will follow the manager to Sunderland, so must be a good player for them to think he would be good enough
Posted by: Grim74, June 5, 2018, 3:06pm; Reply: 27
Not doubting Jolley's judgement but it would be nice to see him sign someone that he hasn't worked with.
Posted by: TheGoalKipper, June 5, 2018, 3:18pm; Reply: 28
Quoted from Grim74
Not doubting Jolley's judgement but it would be nice to see him sign someone that he hasn't worked with.

Thats where mistakes happen as he may have to rely on someone elses judgement of not only their ability but also their character and work ethic, Im betting very few new signings come in before the new season where he hasn't got a connection. To get in a decent striker may be difficult for him. Remember, he only wants players prepared to move to Grimsby.

Posted by: wiggers, June 5, 2018, 3:18pm; Reply: 29
Unlikely in my view. Think he will end up in either LG1 or Championship.
Posted by: chaos33, June 5, 2018, 3:34pm; Reply: 30
It'd be a big step up from Scot Champp/SPL to Championship in my opinion but guess the new Sunderland boss might go for him in L1.
Posted by: sam gy, June 5, 2018, 4:21pm; Reply: 31
Quoted from Grim74

He has never worked with Louis Robles before, he signed him yesterday.
Posted by: BackHeelTony, June 5, 2018, 8:37pm; Reply: 32
Matt Dean just tweeted:

Seems like there’s mileage in rumours that ex-Crewe defender Harry Davis might be joining #gtfc I’ve been told he’s already visited the town having been offered a deal. He’s a free agent after leaving St Mirren and knows MJ from Gresty Rd

Of the 26-year-old, my source says: “He’s a centre-back but can play right-back. A good one. Captain material.”
Posted by: Grim74, June 5, 2018, 8:42pm; Reply: 33
Quoted from sam gy

He has never worked with Louis Robles before, he signed him yesterday.

Louis spoke to gtfc.co.uk regarding his move earlier today. "The move came about through knowing Michael really", said Robles. "I had a few conversations with him when he was with his team in Sweden and I heard that he moved to Grimsby, so we made contact and made the move happen really."

"I knew Michael from his time at Burnley when we used to play against them. I liked how his teams set up and how his teams played and it really appealed to me,
Posted by: RonMariner, June 5, 2018, 8:54pm; Reply: 34
Quoted from BackHeelTony
Matt Dean just tweeted:

Seems like there’s mileage in rumours that ex-Crewe defender Harry Davis might be joining #gtfc I’ve been told he’s already visited the town having been offered a deal. He’s a free agent after leaving St Mirren and knows MJ from Gresty Rd

Of the 26-year-old, my source says: “He’s a centre-back but can play right-back. A good one. Captain material.”

Fingers crossed!
Posted by: pontoonlew, June 5, 2018, 8:59pm; Reply: 35
A pretty reliable Crewe fan has also claimed this is true. Looks decent.
Posted by: Mrs Doyle, June 6, 2018, 4:15am; Reply: 36
If this happens it will be a cracking signing probably heard good things from Richard Tait worked with Jolley before the St Mirren fans sound really peed off about losing him.
Posted by: Mrs Doyle, June 6, 2018, 4:26am; Reply: 37
Knows how to take a cracking in swinging corner from BOTH sides.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wtigKYL2CcM
Posted by: Davec, June 6, 2018, 7:28am; Reply: 38
He's a penalty taker also.
Posted by: mariner91, June 6, 2018, 7:45am; Reply: 39
Quoted from Mrs Doyle
If this happens it will be a cracking signing probably heard good things from Richard Tait worked with Jolley before the St Mirren fans sound really peed off about losing him.

Despite the fact they play for different teams in different cities competing in different leagues and have never played in the same division as each other let alone the same side.
Posted by: Cloudy, June 6, 2018, 7:52am; Reply: 40
If he signs I hope he turns out to be a great signing but let's remember he has been playing at a level lower where the likes of Craig Clay where last season. Many conference players go to sides in the Scottish Premier league and do quite well so he hasn't been performing in a great standard league
Posted by: 123614 (Guest), June 6, 2018, 7:58am; Reply: 41
Quoted from Cloudy
If he signs I hope he turns out to be a great signing but let's remember he has been playing at a level lower where the likes of Craig Clay where last season. Many conference players go to sides in the Scottish Premier league and do quite well so he hasn't been performing in a great standard league

Max Wright was playing 4 leagues below us last season but some think he will be a first team regular next season!

Posted by: Cloudy, June 6, 2018, 8:24am; Reply: 42
Quoted from 123614

Max Wright was playing 4 leagues below us last season but some think he will be a first team regular next season!

Really?

You never said!
Posted by: ginnywings, June 6, 2018, 8:52am; Reply: 43
Quoted from Mrs Doyle
Knows how to take a cracking in swinging corner from BOTH sides.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wtigKYL2CcM

When did Marcelo sign for Crewe?
Posted by: Jarmo.Is.God, June 6, 2018, 9:24am; Reply: 44
Quoted from ginnywings

When did Marcelo sign for Crewe?

Ages ago, didn't last long tho, Crewe fans didn't rate him
Posted by: sam gy, June 6, 2018, 9:27am; Reply: 45
Quoted from Grim74

Louis spoke to gtfc.co.uk regarding his move earlier today. "The move came about through knowing Michael really", said Robles. "I had a few conversations with him when he was with his team in Sweden and I heard that he moved to Grimsby, so we made contact and made the move happen really."

"I knew Michael from his time at Burnley when we used to play against them. I liked how his teams set up and how his teams played and it really appealed to me,

I don’t get your point....he hasn’t worked with him before. Do you want him to sign players he’s also never managed against, had a conversation with before or lived in the same region as??
Posted by: Civvy at last, June 6, 2018, 9:29am; Reply: 46
Quoted from mariner91

Despite the fact they play for different teams in different cities competing in different leagues and have never played in the same division as each other let alone the same side.

But it's only Scotland.  I thought they all knew each other up there  ;)
Posted by: ginnywings, June 6, 2018, 9:34am; Reply: 47
It's inevitable that managers will sign players that they know. All managers do it and i can't see why this is suddenly an issue with some people. It's almost as if some are looking for any negative they can to attach to him because he hasn't shown any so far. Managers will see players over time and make a metal note of them, like Hurst did with Nolan. He said he had tried to get him many times over the seasons, but the opportunity never arose until he was in the stiffs at Lincoln. It doesn't matter if a player was previously known to, or worked with, the manager. What matters is if they are capable or not, and only time will tell on that.
Posted by: arryarryarry, June 6, 2018, 9:55am; Reply: 48
Quoted from Civvy at last

I thought they were all related
Posted by: forza ivano, June 6, 2018, 9:59am; Reply: 49
Quoted from mariner91

apart from that Mrs Doyle was spot on

ps i wish you'd stop bringing facts into the conversation......... :)
Posted by: Heisenberg, June 6, 2018, 11:07am; Reply: 50
Quoted from 123614

I'm getting a bit sick of this argument.  Because David Beckham played for Preston in League 1 (or something) back in the day, would it have been correct to write him off as a League 1 standard player?  Or Harry Kane playing for Orient?  Did that move make him useless?

Has anybody actually thought, maybe Max Wright did so well for Scarborough because it was way beneath his natural level?

If Messi played for Wrexham, would that make him conference-level standard?

Max Wright has something to prove to us, yes, but he could not have done any more last season.  It's his turn to show us what he can do.  Everyone has to start somewhere.

I hope he tears it up and shuts half of you lot up!

Posted by: 123614 (Guest), June 6, 2018, 1:54pm; Reply: 51
This will be my last comment on Max Wright.  The thing is, I think you are missing the point I am trying to make.  

Whether he is good enough to play in the first team in League 2 or not, I don't know, I have never seen him play and I'm guessing that most of the people on this forum haven't seen him play either, in the Conference or League 2.

The only point I was trying to make was that some people do not want to see GTFC sign someone they don't know, who played in the Conference or lower,  but are happy to see someone they do know who played in a lot lower league last season, come back and play in the first team.  That is the point I was trying to make.

Now, if you look under my avatar, you will see I have been support The Mariners for over 65 years now, my Dad started taking me to Home and away matches when I was 5 years old.  I would be delighted if Max came into the team and was an excellent addition to the squad.  I want to see Town do well, I'm a supporter, I don't knock players on here.

So I hope you get where I'm coming from now, and that we can move on and see who else joins the club in the coming weeks.

Posted by: rancido, June 6, 2018, 2:52pm; Reply: 52
Quoted from Civvy at last

….or are related, a bit like Lincoln!!
Posted by: malkamalka, June 6, 2018, 5:11pm; Reply: 53
Bobby Ross came from St Mirren and played over 200 games for Town.

Let's hope this lad is as good. 8)
Posted by: Mrs Doyle, June 6, 2018, 5:24pm; Reply: 54
Quoted from mariner91

Yeah ok cheers for that clever shitt.
Posted by: The Singing Fisherman, June 7, 2018, 12:01pm; Reply: 55
Welcome Harry
Posted by: forza ivano, June 7, 2018, 12:03pm; Reply: 56
Harry Davis signs in
Posted by: grimsby pete, June 7, 2018, 12:05pm; Reply: 57
Great signing welcome Harry.
Posted by: PB, June 7, 2018, 12:13pm; Reply: 58
I am starting to feel more and more positive about the new season (back of the neck hairs etc).
Welcome aboard!
Posted by: pontoonlew, June 7, 2018, 12:22pm; Reply: 59
Crewe fans seem to dislike him but I don't think his dad being the gaffer helped. St Mirren loved him.

I'll make my own judgement and I'm sure he'll be warmly welcomed here.
Posted by: TheGoalKipper, June 7, 2018, 12:23pm; Reply: 60
Sounds like a good signing.

Welcome to Grimsby Harry
Posted by: somersetmariner, June 7, 2018, 12:24pm; Reply: 61
Very pleased about this ! Welcome Harry, captain material :)
Posted by: Mariner55, June 7, 2018, 12:30pm; Reply: 62
This is based on nothing other than idle speculation - but how about Harry's dad Steve as Assistant Manager?  And brother Joe as a defender (just released by Port Vale - but not a lot of games played to be honest).

Harry seems like a great signing though, well done MJ.
Posted by: sam gy, June 7, 2018, 12:34pm; Reply: 63
Quoted from pontoonlew
Crewe fans seem to dislike him but I don't think his dad being the gaffer helped. St Mirren loved him.

I'll make my own judgement and I'm sure he'll be warmly welcomed here.

Seems like they have an agenda there....you don’t play hundreds of games at one club if you’re not very good. Loads of them in league 1, too.
Posted by: Jarmo.Is.God, June 7, 2018, 12:35pm; Reply: 64
Don't want to get too excited, but...

16/17 season St Mirren finished level on points with the relegation zone, and survived on goal difference
The next season, with Davis, they won the title by 12 points.

He won promotion from league 2 during the 11/12 season with crewe, playing over 40 games.

He then played over 100 games in league 1.

He's only 26.

And his interview sounds like he is moving to the area, like Jolley wished.

"Davis discussed his move to The Mariners, his excitement to make the move to North East Lincolnshire and his previous experiences with the manager. "I'm delighted to be here", said Davis. "I'm really looking forward to coming to the area, I really want to be here and I can't wait for the season ahead."
Posted by: GtfcGarner, June 7, 2018, 12:35pm; Reply: 65
Different players work out at different clubs. Welcome aboard
Posted by: Posh Harry, June 7, 2018, 12:41pm; Reply: 66
Quoted from Mariner55
This is based on nothing other than idle speculation - but how about Harry's dad Steve as Assistant Manager?  And brother Joe as a defender (just released by Port Vale - but not a lot of games played to be honest).

Steve Davis (the manager not the snooker player) seems to be roundly hated at any club he has been at. There are usually reasons for this so hopefully the assistant thing wouldn’t happen.

As someone has already said, Harry was not liked by a lot of Crewe fans, but a lot of that is down to the fact that his dad made him captain and gave him a long term deal as one of if the highest player in the club. Combine that will relegation and subsequent struggles in League 2, and whether a good player or not, he was never going to be given a fair hearing.

Hopefully that was just circumstances and that he can prove himself with us.

Isn’t it nice to have a couple of new signings already rather than having to wait until pre season.

UTFM
Posted by: Bigdog, June 7, 2018, 12:48pm; Reply: 67
Quoted from Mariner55

Get his wife in to wash the kit, his kids to sell programmes etc etc..
Posted by: 123614 (Guest), June 7, 2018, 12:54pm; Reply: 68
Welcome to the club Harry, pleased to have you with us.  UTM!
Posted by: Ipswin, June 7, 2018, 1:02pm; Reply: 69
Harry - fantastic! That makes three Harrys how refreshing to have a good old Anglo-Saxon forename players in the squad all we need now are a Bert, Sid and a Fred - oh hang on he's gone to Man U,but you get the picture :)
Posted by: BackHeelTony, June 7, 2018, 1:04pm; Reply: 70
Maybe his dad is the new assistant manager
Posted by: TheGoalKipper, June 7, 2018, 1:07pm; Reply: 71
Keeping his place for a 100 games in L1 is very good experience. Must be a decent player i reckon. Im very happy with this signing

UTM
Posted by: denni266, June 7, 2018, 1:10pm; Reply: 72
pleased  with this  . showing some signs we mean to go  up in the world
Posted by: LongEatonMariner, June 7, 2018, 1:12pm; Reply: 73
Tom Newey played a fair few games for us but plenty thought he was crap (I’m not one of them), so the theory that games played = loved by fans doesn’t stack up for me.

Anyway he looks on the face of it a good signing so can’t wait to support him and the rest of the team come August.
Posted by: Hannilowe, June 7, 2018, 1:13pm; Reply: 74
Absolutely great signing on paper! Cant find much of him on youtube, found this well taken penalty though https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i7HFUAgby7I
Posted by: RonMariner, June 7, 2018, 1:17pm; Reply: 75
Great signing. We already have a solid looking back four in front of Macca even if Collins doesn't sign up. (Which I hope he does).

Thinks are taking shape and it's only the first week in June. Players are being given three year deals.

The club seems to be on a new trajectory.    
Posted by: Grumps, June 7, 2018, 1:20pm; Reply: 76
Welcome Harry.
Posted by: FishOutOfWater, June 7, 2018, 1:22pm; Reply: 77
Got a song in my head now   ;)

Harry Clifton, Harry Cardwell, Harry Davis.... Harry Harry
Posted by: mariner91, June 7, 2018, 1:28pm; Reply: 78
I like the fact that the three signings so far, four if you include Fox who is an MJ signing, are all quite young with the oldest being 26. Hopefully we'll have a quicker, hungrier team than last season. Welcome aboard Harry.
Posted by: hheh2, June 7, 2018, 1:32pm; Reply: 79
Yes get in quality signing! Welcome Davis
Posted by: Southwark Mariner, June 7, 2018, 1:36pm; Reply: 80
Quoted from FishOutOfWater

Harry Haddock!
Posted by: BackHeelTony, June 7, 2018, 1:48pm; Reply: 81

Haddock?
Posted by: arryarryarry, June 7, 2018, 2:11pm; Reply: 82

How kind, a song about me.
Posted by: Mighty_Mariner, June 7, 2018, 2:28pm; Reply: 83
Excellent signing!!! Slightly surprised it's only a 1 year deal but perhaps the club are applying a little caution given his fairly recent knee injury.

Welcome aboard Harry!!
Posted by: Mariner55, June 7, 2018, 3:56pm; Reply: 84
It's not a 1 year deal, it's an initial 1 year deal, which presumably means there's an option to extend.

And re his dad becoming Assistant Manager and his brother joining us too - I wasn't necessarily advocating that, I was just wondering aloud whether it may happen.  
Posted by: ginnywings, June 7, 2018, 4:07pm; Reply: 85
Good age, good experience, so you have to say it's a good signing.

Welcome Harry.
Posted by: golfer, June 7, 2018, 4:37pm; Reply: 86
Looks like you are getting a team together Mr. Jolly. Hope Collins and Summers sign and then we will have a couple of

experienced to bring the younger ones on
Posted by: Swansea_Mariner, June 7, 2018, 9:20pm; Reply: 87
His history suggests he will be a decent signing, looking forward to seeing him in a town shirt!
Posted by: Skrill, June 7, 2018, 9:46pm; Reply: 88
As soon as my brother told me, happy reaction. As mentioned Davies is at least a League One-ish player, gave up the chance to play Scottish Premiership for League Two, what does that say about Scottish football exactly? Clay did slot into Motherwells midfield so I'd hazard a guess  (icon_lol)
Posted by: moosey_club, June 7, 2018, 9:55pm; Reply: 89

only one way to go with the Harry's ...

https://uk.video.search.yahoo.com/search/video?fr=yfp-t-s&p=sham+69+hurry+up+harry+youtube#id=1&vid=af2d06168fe0432ca3510c08471075d3&action=click
Posted by: KingstonMariner, June 7, 2018, 10:48pm; Reply: 90
Quoted from moosey_club

Think FOOW was thinking more of this. the original Harry Wainman song  ;)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=heMCQ4yQ9vw
Posted by: cannylad68, June 8, 2018, 8:30am; Reply: 91
Harry Beau  5.10  Brighton
Posted by: Les Brechin, June 8, 2018, 9:23am; Reply: 92
Just asked a Crewe fan on a general football forum why a lot of them didn't rate Davis and got this rather long-winded reply.

Quoted Text
You do realise his Dad was the manager right?

If he wasn't related to the manager I guarantee he'd have been out in 2014 and he'd have played half the games he featured in. He never had the potential to play any higher than Crewe because he was slow, made too many mistakes and he was a very limited defender. He wasn't one of our worst though, but as Timey says, his time here was very much under a cloud.

In a Summer where we only signed a backup goalkeeper as we had to make a series of draconian cuts to our budget, he was celebrated like a £200,000 signing the moment he was given the number 3 shirt despite making 0 professional starts at league level and being played out of position at RB which caused our natural RB, Matt Tootle, to be played at LB. Where's the logic in that?

He made a few errors in his first few games which cost us points. In the end, emerging talent Kelvin Mellor would fill in at LB with Matt Tootle going back to RB. But the management (now under Steve) had a weird few games when they actually played him in CM. It was like they were trying to find any way possible to get him into the team. They even put Tootle in midfield to accommodate him towards the end of the season too. But he did do well towards the end.

Then in League One, I remember us having a shocker against Brentford where we were hammered 5-1. Mark Ellis (signed for £80,000 from Torquay) and Harry Davis playing at RB had two shocking games. So Davis pinpointed the blame on Adam Dugdale (the best of a bad bunch at the back that day) for the poor performance, exiled him from the team and tried Davis with Ellis at CB. Unless he was injured (which he would be for most of the next 4 years), Harry was here to stay at CB so long as he was fit and his Dad was the manager.

Our defence was very bad in League One bar for a few months when Harry Davis was injured and we brought in an experienced centre half in Alan Tate from Swansea. The difference was phenomenal. So what did we do? Tate's legs had gone in fairness and he was injured so we couldn't sign him up permanently, but surely we realised Harry wasn't experienced enough or fit enough to last more than half a season to defend with another young defender like Ray or Guthrie?

Dad comes out saying "There's no need for an experienced defender when we have H at the club" which smacked of absolute nepotism for a start when he was a key contributor to us conceding tons of goals along with the other misfits we played alongside him. We then signed Ben Nugent, an average defender who actually did alright for us when we loaned another CB in he knew from Cardiff, Semi Ajayi after Harry had one of his many long-term injuries early on in the season. I mean the whole side was pitiful that season, but the best form we had was when those two were the defensive pairing.

Harry comes back from injury, Ajayi is copulated off back to Cardiff and we only win one game for the rest of the season. Captain Harry does his usual routine of making a mistake, a goal going in and then shouting and bawling at the nearest person to him. He was never captain material in the first place and we all know why he got that armband too, the same way he got a stupid contract that made him the highest paid player at the club. Nepotism.

Harry played every game for us in the 2016-17 season until his Dad was sacked and looked just as poor as he did in League One and we slid down towards the bottom 2. Then his Dad was sacked and I thought that this could be an opportunity for him to prove his critics wrong now his Dad was nowhere near the club. Unfortunately, he decided to kick off and go on strike. It's one thing being a poor footballer (we've had many and I don't dislike them but you cut your losses) but going on strike and disrespecting your lavish contract? I couldn't wait for us to get rid of the self-entitled sharp object.

So in conclusion, a mixture of nepotism, releasing injury prone players yet keeping him on and giving him two significant pay rises despite being a treatment room regular, too many second chances, self-entitlement, getting opportunities other players wouldn't get and being quite an odious character are the reasons why he's not looked at so fondly despite the 200 odd appearances he made for us (sadly). I'm one of those that rarely boos opposition players (our fans love booing Tom Pope for instance but I liked him when he was with us so I don't) but he'd deserve 90 minutes of boos for sure.

Least you didn't get his Dad to manage you, that would've been much, much worse...
Posted by: diehardmariner, June 8, 2018, 9:41am; Reply: 93
Crikey, do you reckon he's not keen on Davis?
Posted by: psgmariner, June 8, 2018, 9:45am; Reply: 94
He’s like the Crewe Adam Buckley.
Posted by: forza ivano, June 8, 2018, 9:49am; Reply: 95
you can understand the dislike, bit like berrett being an automatic pick when we had mcallister,rose, clifton and woolford all of whom would have done a better job.

for sake of balance here's the view from North Marston's resident St. Mirren fan (it's a hot bed of support for teams playing in black and white!)

Good signing, Andy. I think the stats show that the Saints conceded fewer goals with him in the team. He was out injured for some of the season. Endeared himself to our fans by putting us a goal up in a cup tie at Celtic Park (lost 4-1 in the end, but not before hitting the bar while a goal up, and we were bottom of the Championship at the time). Saints would no doubt have liked him to stay, but he wanted to go back to England, and has clearly found another black and white home pretty quickly.

Hope he does well for your boys - I’m sure he will.

Jim
Posted by: Ipswin, June 8, 2018, 10:57am; Reply: 96
Quoted from KingstonMariner

Think FOOW was thinking more of this. the original Harry Wainman song  ;)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=heMCQ4yQ9vw

That brings back so many memories All three of our Harrys surnames fit this too

Posted by: sam gy, June 8, 2018, 2:42pm; Reply: 97
Quoted from Les Brechin
Just asked a Crewe fan on a general football forum why a lot of them didn't rate Davis and got this rather long-winded reply.

Basically: a young player who also happened to be the son of an unpopular manager made a few mistakes whilst learning his trade and all of the Crewe fans hate him.

Posted by: TheGoalKipper, June 8, 2018, 3:38pm; Reply: 98
Defenders all make mistakes and get slated for it - especially if the forwards cant score to compensate. If you dont sign players who make mistakes you wouldnt sign anyone. The question is has he cut out most of them with experience.
Posted by: 123614 (Guest), June 8, 2018, 4:56pm; Reply: 99
Quoted from Les Brechin

Looks like he could be Crewe's Ipswin!

Posted by: cannylad68, June 8, 2018, 5:13pm; Reply: 100
Harry Beau wins at 8/1 at time of posting.
Print page generated: April 27, 2024, 1:12pm