6 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All Recommend Thread
lukeo
February 21, 2018, 7:41am
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 2.07
Rep Score: +38 / -23
Approval: +2,372
Gold Stars: 148
Avoid relegation and try get promoted next season?.. I think a few of us need to wake up and smell the coffee. Budget wise we're probably closer to the bottom of this league than the top. I think we're going to have to settle for mid table finishes at best for a few years unless Fenty makes a good appointment who somehow changes alot about this club and playing staff
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 52
oldun
February 21, 2018, 8:01am

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.90
Rep Score: +57 / -5
Approval: +3,475
A very calm interview after a good win. Quietly understated and a level tone. I liked it. Difficult for him as he has been there for a long time.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 52
MarinerMal
February 21, 2018, 8:01am
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.08
Rep Score: +7 / -5
Approval: +782
Gold Stars: 17
Why so negative lukeo?

I'm not sure where our budget sits in comparison with the rest of the league but it seems Askey has taken Macclesfield top on next to no budget, so he sounds like the ideal candidate given your concerns.

There are no guarantees with any manager but as long as we get some decent stuff to watch @ BP again, I certainly won't complain about a few season of mid table while he builds the squad he needs.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 52
MrsMariner
February 21, 2018, 8:09am

Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.11
Rep Score: +2 / -4
Approval: +433
Gold Stars: 1
Quoted from promotion plaice

That's exactly what I thought but you can't argue with his record at Macclesfield this season........could he be any worse than our last 3 managers (including Wilko)

His record at Macclesfield this year is all well and good but similar to Paul Hurst it's taken him 5 years to get to this stage. Unfortunatley we haven't got 5 months let alone 5 years we need a quick fix can he produce that ?
I see he got the job after the grim reaper struck again a 3-1 win for us in 2013
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 52
ex-merseymariner
February 21, 2018, 8:12am

Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.24
Rep Score: +12 / -10
Approval: +1,401
Gold Stars: 9
Quoted from MarinerMal
There are no guarantees with any manager but as long as we get some decent stuff to watch @ BP again, I certainly won't complain about a few season of mid table while he builds the squad he needs.

I would complain. Think we need ambition beyond midtable. ..it's a poor division making slade's achievements in packing the squad whilst ignoring the talent and failing tactically even worse. E.g. Luton at home.   We should be in the playoffs and I dare say should be with jones clements and maybe 2 signings instead of multiple loans and hooper, cardwell etc..

#newera;   New owners, new approach;  'we bought Grimsby Town to help renew the place we love'  
Join the Trust, get involved: UP THE MARINERS!  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 52
chicaneuk
February 21, 2018, 8:17am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.21
Rep Score: +14 / 0
Approval: +1,486
Gold Stars: 5
Quoted from MrsMariner

His record at Macclesfield this year is all well and good but similar to Paul Hurst it's taken him 5 years to get to this stage. Unfortunatley we haven't got 5 months let alone 5 years we need a quick fix can he produce that ?
I see he got the job after the grim reaper struck again a 3-1 win for us in 2013

Don't we need to accept our situation and simply deal with it as best we can? Yes we need a quick fix, but given our current position, no manager (unless they're supremely confident and like a challenge) would be coming anywhere near us right now - yes we have history, but that counts for nothing when we've gone through several managers in the last couple of years, the fans are at massive odds with the club, the players aren't performing, and we're getting dangerously close to falling back into non-league. If we manage to land a manager like Askey, then I think we've done pretty well for ourselves - and whatever will be, will be this season, good or bad. Navel gazing about the dreadful decision to appoint Slade achieves precisely nothing.. it's done. It's history. Time to move on. Our reality is what it is.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 52
Garth
February 21, 2018, 8:21am

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.92
Rep Score: +55 / -13
Approval: +4,921
Gold Stars: 26
I think a top model Audi type lease car would ease the travelling with an attractive paid salary guaranteed, and the challenge to resurrect a fallen star should be too much to resist, after all look at Hurst career since he joined us.
The guys not getting younger by the day, has become part of the furniture there and seems to be taken for granted by their owners, has to be a better low risk opportunity for him here surely.

He who dares!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 52
buckstown
February 21, 2018, 8:22am
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.41
Rep Score: +16 / -6
Approval: +5,180
Gold Stars: 79
It didn't sound like a man who's about to jump ship after so many years as player and manager.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 37 - 52
Mariner93er
February 21, 2018, 8:28am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.53
Rep Score: +9 / -4
Approval: +4,728
Gold Stars: 28
Interesting that he described us as a bigger club. He's clearly got a decision to make as why else would he talk about it being a wrench to leave the club.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 38 - 52
Garth
February 21, 2018, 8:30am

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.92
Rep Score: +55 / -13
Approval: +4,921
Gold Stars: 26
Quoted from buckstown
It didn't sound like a man who's about to jump ship after so many years as player and manager.

Hmm! loyalty sounds great but does not cut it at Tesco checkout when the person on the till expects money.

Its his choice onwards and upwards with us, or wait and see UTM
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 39 - 52
6 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Askey Interview

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.