6 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All Recommend Thread
Tommy
February 21, 2018, 8:58am
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.22
Rep Score: +60 / -15
Approval: +8,865
Gold Stars: 76
There's a tendency for people to look at win percentages and trophies/promotions, but I don't think that's always a great indicator.

For me, you've got to look at the resources available at the Club they're at/they've been at. The realisitic expectations and budget in relative to the level they're at.

Take Cowley at Lincoln for example. No idea what he did before Braintree but if you look at what he did there. Got in the conference play offs (after finishing higher than ourselves), with a team with a low budget for the league and achieved far above expectations.

So people might say Askey hasn't won promotions. Or has lower win percentage than others. But if he's not at a club expected to be at the top of the league then he's not underachieving.

So maybe it's better to judge on what a Manager is achieving based on expectations and level of budget, than just looking at stats.

"The greatest mistake you can make in life is to continually be afraid you will make one."
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 40 - 52
MarinerMal
February 21, 2018, 9:49am
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.08
Rep Score: +7 / -5
Approval: +784
Gold Stars: 17
Quoted from ex-merseymariner

I would complain. Think we need ambition beyond midtable. ..it's a poor division making slade's achievements in packing the squad whilst ignoring the talent and failing tactically even worse. E.g. Luton at home.   We should be in the playoffs and I dare say should be with jones clements and maybe 2 signings instead of multiple loans and hooper, cardwell etc..

I don't think giving the manage sometime to build a squad is a bad idea. Of course we want to be involved in the promotion picture but i think we need to reassess where we are currently and where we've come from in recent years. A period of stability would be welcome at this club atm.

Giving a manager a little bit of time while watching some decent football as oppose to the hoofball we've had to suffer lately would be a welcome change for me. Let's hope the new manager avoids relegation and pushes for the title next season. That would be great. But if he doesn't, as long as we are playing some decent stuff, that would do for me until we have a squad to challenge.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 41 - 52
Mighty_Mariner
February 21, 2018, 9:57am
Pontoonite
Posts Per Day: 0.84
Rep Score: +42 / -9
Approval: +2,237
Gold Stars: 10
Quoted from MrsMariner

His record at Macclesfield this year is all well and good but similar to Paul Hurst it's taken him 5 years to get to this stage. Unfortunatley we haven't got 5 months let alone 5 years we need a quick fix can he produce that ?
I see he got the job after the grim reaper struck again a 3-1 win for us in 2013

And like Hurst he would be taking over a team in the league above in threat of relegation with no experience at that level.

Who's to say he cannot do for Grimsby Town what Paul Hurst has done for Shrewsbury?

"They shall grow not old, as we that are left grow old, Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn, At the going down of the sun, and in the morning, We WILL remember them"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 42 - 52
MrsMariner
February 21, 2018, 10:19am

Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.11
Rep Score: +2 / -4
Approval: +432
Gold Stars: 1
Quoted from Mighty_Mariner

And like Hurst he would be taking over a team in the league above in threat of relegation with no experience at that level.

Who's to say he cannot do for Grimsby Town what Paul Hurst has done for Shrewsbury?

Good point not many of us thought Hurst would keep Shrewsbury up let alone challenge for promotion the following season so you never know. May be like Hurst he's served his apprenticeship and he's ready for something bigger.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 43 - 52
lew chaterleys lover
February 21, 2018, 11:12am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,657
Gold Stars: 234
Quoted from MrsMariner

Good point not many of us thought Hurst would keep Shrewsbury up let alone challenge for promotion the following season so you never know. May be like Hurst he's served his apprenticeship and he's ready for something bigger.

I see Hurst is bemoaning the Shrews fans for their criticisms and the lack of numbers going to the games. I cannot understand that he doesn't know by now that all clubs' fans are fickle. He never is going to get great attendances at Shrewsbury as it isn't a traditional football hotspot.
Private Message
Reply: 44 - 52
ginnywings
February 21, 2018, 11:19am

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.04
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,098
Gold Stars: 548

I see Hurst is bemoaning the Shrews fans for their criticisms and the lack of numbers going to the games. I cannot understand that he doesn't know by now that all clubs' fans are fickle. He never is going to get great attendances at Shrewsbury as it isn't a traditional football hotspot.

And even if you are winning, dull football is still dull. They don't score many.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 45 - 52
dapperz fun pub
February 21, 2018, 11:19am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.59
Rep Score: +37 / -6
Approval: +9,879
Gold Stars: 82

He’s starting to get edgy after this great start probs cos Rotherham seem to be steaming on and obviously the 2 big lancs clubs still going good    Still over achieving though at such a small club
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 46 - 52
davmariner
February 21, 2018, 11:21am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +37 / -10
Approval: +4,910
Gold Stars: 78

Up The Mariners!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 47 - 52
MrsMariner
February 21, 2018, 11:42am

Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.11
Rep Score: +2 / -4
Approval: +432
Gold Stars: 1
A forward thinking board already offering extra discount on purchases of season tickets for next season ready to cash in on promotion, something we failed to do
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 48 - 52
Tinymariner
February 21, 2018, 12:11pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.74
Rep Score: +30 / -2
Approval: +1,456
Gold Stars: 12
Quoted from davmariner

£400 for an adult’s Season ticket in the conference?

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 49 - 52
6 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Askey Interview

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.