This thread currently has 13,553 views. Print
6 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All Recommend Thread
RoboCod
February 14, 2018, 2:40pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.91
Rep Score: +70 / -19
Approval: +7,505
Great post Limerick, lovely memories in that post and a touch of the old SWWF about it.
Let's hope we start to pick things up starting this weekend and the renowned GTFC humour can be applied to more positive happenings at this club.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 40 - 52
Futchfan
February 14, 2018, 2:59pm
Coke Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.00
Rep Score: +1 / 0
Approval: +31
Quoted from Limerick Mariner
I travelled with him for that Leicester games, and did to many games from our North Lancashire homes.

My first post for years, I've watched The Fishy as a guest over the years but decided not get sucked into posting - it can be emotional and time-consuming.

Steve's death has prompted me to post again. We tore up the motorways together to Town games in the early 90s, home and away, in my old Peugeot diesel (see SWWF "Percy the Peugeot goes to Swansea" and other tales), we certainly would be breaching emission regs now...Steve described it once in SWWF as a "mobile waste disposal unit...the windscreen a vast insect graveyard". His writing was superb and beautifully crafted, mine was laboured in comparison. When selling SWWF outside Blundell Park, for some reason he always gave me the Harrington Street Osmond Corner, assuming at 6.2 I could handle the visiting fans. On a rare Imperial Avenue pitch on Boxing Day I sold a copy to the Rt Hon Norman Lamont.

We debated Town, music, life and everything in the car journeys. I suspect he enjoyed a toy boy / older woman episode in his youth because Maggie May used to send him a bit emotional. He preferred Dylan, I preferred Cohen and Punk on the way to the game - get your depression and anger in before the game...except we were actually a really good football team so there was nothing too much to get depressed or angry about. I lost touch when I moved to Limerick in 98, a few months after the double Wembley wins.

I'm not sure whether his passing is after a long illness, I haven't seen at any game since I returned in 2003 although Town have had to share my attention with the egg-chasers of Leicester (attempted brain-washing by Munster fans in Limerick), so I've only been to circa half a dozen games a season on average.

RIP Steve - you were a highly-entertaining sojourn in my life with mostly good times for the Mariners - don't know what you'd make of the current fiasco but it would be worth reading that is for sure.  

I well remember your arrival at our fathers house on Grimsby Road! Steve would wax lyrical about the adventures. I seem to recall you arriving with a flat tyre and no spare?
Steves illness was quite brief, a matter of weeks. Over recent years he has attended matches in the North West area. Sadly he was not aware that Russell Slade, who he did not rate, had paid the price. He would have had some worthy quote I'm sure.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 41 - 52
February 14, 2018, 3:12pm
Guest User
always sad to lose a fellow mariner , RIP Steve.
Reply: 42 - 52
Limerick Mariner
February 15, 2018, 1:23am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +10 / -3
Approval: +5,694
Gold Stars: 136
Quoted from Futchfan

I well remember your arrival at our fathers house on Grimsby Road! Steve would wax lyrical about the adventures. I seem to recall you arriving with a flat tyre and no spare?
Steves illness was quite brief, a matter of weeks. Over recent years he has attended matches in the North West area. Sadly he was not aware that Russell Slade, who he did not rate, had paid the price. He would have had some worthy quote I'm sure.

I've a hunch that was Steve's car FF - the Peugeot, though unwashed, and with footwells full of general detritus and Clash tapes, always had a viable spare as I recall. Sad that we never met up again, how old was he FF?

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 43 - 52
Futchfan
February 15, 2018, 9:16am
Coke Drinker
Quoted from Limerick Mariner

I've a hunch that was Steve's car FF - the Peugeot, though unwashed, and with footwells full of general detritus and Clash tapes, always had a viable spare as I recall. Sad that we never met up again, how old was he FF?

Thinking about it it was a tyre with as much tread as one of Nigel Mansel slicks. He was 70. How time flys.  We had some fun times selling SWWF. It was always an adventure. My dad always usedto say it was wonderful to see him, but after re-living the entire 90 minutes of the match, he was pleased to see him go, usually with a pair of the old man's socks or a sweater. The memories are pouring back!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 44 - 52
TAGG
February 15, 2018, 9:39am

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.93
Rep Score: +26 / -27
Approval: +2,962
Gold Stars: 124
I am of the age as to have bought SWWF I didn't know the bloke but he sounds as funny as his articles and held in very high esteem by the people that do know him.
Instead of a minutes applause at the next home game maybe a rendition of SWWF would be a good send off.

In his three stints as Grimsby Town manager spanning over 10 years the club was never relegated and he also guided them to three promotions.
Only 14 managers have reached 1,000 matches in charge of a Football League team by 1998 and Buckley is one of them.
GOD
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 45 - 52
1mickylyons
February 15, 2018, 10:59am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.53
Rep Score: +42 / -14
Approval: +9,383
Gold Stars: 56
Quoted from Futchfan

Thinking about it it was a tyre with as much tread as one of Nigel Mansel slicks. He was 70. How time flys.  We had some fun times selling SWWF. It was always an adventure. My dad always usedto say it was wonderful to see him, but after re-living the entire 90 minutes of the match, he was pleased to see him go, usually with a pair of the old man's socks or a sweater. The memories are pouring back!

Pretty sure Steve had upset the weather Gods whenever he was flogging SWWF you could virtually guarantee heavy rain and galeforce winds his green parka was essential
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 46 - 52
Futchfan
February 15, 2018, 12:32pm
Coke Drinker
There are some wonderful comments and tributes coming out for Steve. I'm not sure what he would have made of all this. SWWF would doubtless have had some caustic comment. Memories keep flooding back of games we attended. Steve never lost his passion for GTFC and very recently was telling me what he would do to get us out of our current mess.
Reading all these comments and tributes is incredibly comforting, to see the regard people held for him and who shared his love for this great club.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 47 - 52
Les Brechin
February 15, 2018, 3:50pm

Posts Per Day: 4.17
Rep Score: +114 / -24
Approval: +12,708
Gold Stars: 174
Quoted from Futchfan
There are some wonderful comments and tributes coming out for Steve. I'm not sure what he would have made of all this. SWWF would doubtless have had some caustic comment. Memories keep flooding back of games we attended. Steve never lost his passion for GTFC and very recently was telling me what he would do to get us out of our current mess.
Reading all these comments and tributes is incredibly comforting, to see the regard people held for him and who shared his love for this great club.

Steve was a one off mate. I only met him a couple of times (and I doubt he'd remember me) but once you met Steve, you never forgot him. That's how big a character the man was.

UTM.

OFFICIAL FUNDRAISER FOR THE BRAIN TUMOUR CHARITY
TOTAL AMOUNT RAISED SINCE AUGUST 2008 £16613.24

LATEST DONATION - FROM DONATION FROM THE FISHY FORUM - AUG 2023 AMOUNT RAISED £170.00

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 48 - 52
1mickylyons
February 20, 2018, 8:29am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.53
Rep Score: +42 / -14
Approval: +9,383
Gold Stars: 56
Just to say great that RH acknowledged Steve`s passing during commentary last Saturday and the many tributes to him show what he meant.UTM
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 49 - 52
6 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Classic Threads › Steve Plowes

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.