6 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All Recommend Thread
Gtfc123
January 8, 2018, 8:50pm
Coke Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.00
Approval: -52
Dear me
Fan ownership would be the end of GTFC.
People bleat on about the Bennie loans etc but show me anybody who ever walked away without getting there money back !
We are not a big club and some fans need to remember that we have spent most of the last 50 years in the lower leagues of football yet they still think we should be up there with the bigger boys.
John Fenty (love him or hate him) ploughed money into this club to save it from collapse and that is why the club owes him money and why should he walk away with nothing ?
I wish we did have a sugar daddy that could plough millions into our great club without wanting anything back, but that’s just a pipe dream.
The club is not in a bad position but allow it to be taken over by people with no big business experience at your peril as it won’t be the conference we need to worry about heading for it will be winding up orders and the end of our small but great club.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 40 - 51
ginnywings
January 8, 2018, 9:00pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.03
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,125
Gold Stars: 548
Contentious first post. Good luck.  

Welcome BTW.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 41 - 51
Gtfc123
January 8, 2018, 9:32pm
Coke Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.00
Approval: -52
Quoted from ginnywings
Contentious first post. Good luck.  

Welcome BTW.

Think I might need it with my opinions lol

But thats what’s great about free speech
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 42 - 51
Ipswin
January 8, 2018, 9:42pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.10
Rep Score: +44 / -47
Approval: -3,552
Gold Stars: 89
Quoted from Gtfc123

Think I might need it with my opinions lol

But thats what’s great about free speech

You're in the wrong place for that son. Free speech here is controlled by the acidic replies of fellow posters or by the moderators but mainly by John Fenty

On bended knee is no way to be free - Peter R de Vries

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse.....=public_profile_post
Private Message
Reply: 43 - 51
KingstonMariner
January 8, 2018, 10:37pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.07
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Quoted from Gtfc123
Dear me
Fan ownership would be the end of GTFC.
People bleat on about the Bennie loans etc but show me anybody who ever walked away without getting there money back !
We are not a big club and some fans need to remember that we have spent most of the last 50 years in the lower leagues of football yet they still think we should be up there with the bigger boys.
John Fenty (love him or hate him) ploughed money into this club to save it from collapse and that is why the club owes him money and why should he walk away with nothing ?
I wish we did have a sugar daddy that could plough millions into our great club without wanting anything back, but that’s just a pipe dream.
The club is not in a bad position but allow it to be taken over by people with no big business experience at your peril as it won’t be the conference we need to worry about heading for it will be winding up orders and the end of our small but great club.

Mike Parker. Spent hundreds of thousands of pounds on shares, gave them away to the Trust because someone didn't keep their part of the bargain.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 44 - 51
headingly_mariner
January 8, 2018, 10:51pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.98
Rep Score: +34 / -21
Approval: +10,342
Gold Stars: 113
Quoted from KingstonMariner

Mike Parker. Spent hundreds of thousands of pounds on shares, gave them away to the Trust because someone didn't keep their part of the bargain.

Absolutely, he basically donated 1.25 million pounds to the club.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 45 - 51
KingstonMariner
January 9, 2018, 12:06am
Meths Drinker
Quoted from ginnywings
At the end of the day, it all boils down to success on the pitch. If we were 10 points better off and in a play off position, we wouldn't be having this debate. So you have to ask if a fan run board is any more likely to pick the right manager than the current board, because that's the crux of it. JF is right in saying to an extent that PR is done on the pitch because if we are winning games, the focus is where it should be, on the team. If it all boils down to success on the pitch, why re we wasting our time on a second rate, 4th division outfit? Granted poor performances always bring the other gripes into stronger focus. But if those gripes weren't there, it'd make the periodic downturns in performance on the pitch more tolerable and folk would have more patience. Famine always makes revolution more likely but prosperity doesn't remove the basic demands.

I think the board know business and seem to me to be doing a decent job in that regard, although i'm sure some will disagree. The stumbling block is the playing side of the equation. Is there any more knowledge in that area among fans than there is currently in the board room? Then there are the other gripes about communication and PR. Fair enough, there are possibly people out there who could address these issues but that won't put the ball into the back of the net. I'd suggest that overall there are people with better skills out there among the fan base than those currently in the boardroom. Just removing the self-inflicted words of poor communication would save the club a packet in the long run. It'd do a huge amount to get more people supporting the club in practical way. A better explanation of the business case for the new ground for example would convince more people it was  worth getting behind. Transparency in the appointment of development partners (and of course selecting partners who look like they know what they're doing) would also help. A greater sense of ownership will give more people the incentive to help in all sorts of ways (not only financial). Of course it won't put the ball in the back of the net, but more support = more revenue = a better budget

In all the years i've supported Town, i have never really given much thought to what happens behind the scenes, but nowadays it's all anyone seems to talk about. From the outside looking in, the board looks a bit same-y and one dimensional to me. This is not a criticism as such, merely an observation and i also think that all the flak thrown their way has made them entrenched and an 'us and them' situation has arisen. The fans forum was a disaster because both sides went into it with a pugilistic attitude and both sides are now drawing a line in the sand it appears. To an extent I can understand them feeling there's been some unjustified criticism (and way back in the days of 'Keep the Mariners Afloat' campaign the response from the people of Grimsby was poor). But the board handled any questioning and criticism in a completely unnecessary aggressive way over years turning people against them. Even as far back as 2005 (before there was much criticism from the fans) JF had adopted a bunker mentality (witness the spat with RH and Ambulancegate).

So even if all the financial and operational hurdles could be overcome and the fans could take over the running of the club, are they any more likely to know what to do to bring success than the current set up? It would be a massively expensive and time consuming exercise to find out wouldn't it? I'm certain that if we somehow came up with a way of doing it and giving JF what he wants, he'd be off into the sunset in a flash. I don't think it is just about money either, because i don't think the board will relinquish power to just anybody who comes up with the necessary dosh. They would have to feel that the club was in safe hands also. I think only then would people get a grasp of how difficult it must be to run a loss making lower league football team. No one pretends it would be easy. If we want 'easy' we wouldn't follow GTFC. There could come a time when the club is available for peanuts. You yourself have said how it feels like the seasons leading up to the last relegation. I think now's the time to start preparing for that fateful day, especially if what you suggest below is rebuffed - I can't see JF agreeing to any meaningful power sharing unless he's had a Damascene conversion over Christmas.

The only way i can see fans changing things for the better is to grow the Trust somehow and get a bit more diversity into the club decision making process. Can the fans bring their wide ranging skills to the table and work alongside the current regime? Would the current regime be open to that? I'd be prepared to put some money into a pot as mentioned in the original post if it could help in some way.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 46 - 51
ginnywings
January 9, 2018, 12:40am

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.03
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,125
Gold Stars: 548
All very good points KM. I honestly don't know what the answer is and as someone who works with my hands, i know very little of how businesses operate. Don't even know if i could manage my own modest accounting- the other half does that for me. I have time, a modicum of enthusiasm and a bit of spare cash, but that's about it.

As you rightly pointed out, the Keep the Mariners Afloat campaign wasn't exactly a roaring success, but operation promotion was a different beast, so i'm not sure whether there is or isn't the appetite locally to raise big sums of cash on a regular basis. How losses would be covered would be my main worry.

I'm sorry, but i think it's a pipe dream without a benefactor.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 47 - 51
KingstonMariner
January 9, 2018, 12:51am
Meths Drinker
Quoted from ginnywings
All very good points KM. I honestly don't know what the answer is and as someone who works with my hands, i know very little of how businesses operate. Don't even know if i could manage my own modest accounting- the other half does that for me. I have time, a modicum of enthusiasm and a bit of spare cash, but that's about it.

As you rightly pointed out, the Keep the Mariners Afloat campaign wasn't exactly a roaring success, but operation promotion was a different beast, so i'm not sure whether there is or isn't the appetite locally to raise big sums of cash on a regular basis. How losses would be covered would be my main worry.

I'm sorry, but i think it's a pipe dream without a benefactor.

No one's pretending we'll become Barcelona. But there are plenty of clubs around who are doing alright as fan owned entities. They don't need benefactors to cover losses. They live within their means. And evidently it isn't a pipe dream because others have done it.

Too many people seem to want rich men to subsidise their spectator sport. And there are more examples of that model failing than there are of fan-owned clubs failing. In fact most clubs who are fan-owned got that way because the rich benefactors copulated them up.

If things carry on the way they are, being fan-owned will be the only option for GTFC.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 48 - 51
KingstonMariner
January 9, 2018, 12:55am
Meths Drinker
And before anyone else says that Exeter only cleared their debts because of the Cup tie against ManU, agreed that was a windfall that massively speeded up the process. But they had already agreed a CVA and had a plan in place to repay the remaining debt.

But had the Trust not taken over and done the hard work on keeping the club going and negotiating the CVA they wouldn't have been around to benefit from any windfall.

You've got to be in it to win it.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 49 - 51
6 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Fan ownership - a long-term solution

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.