6 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All Recommend Thread
WOZOFGRIMSBY
January 8, 2018, 2:58pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.74
Rep Score: +66 / -22
Approval: +8,759
Gold Stars: 177

Good for them but Newport is not Grimsby. Last January we sold Bogle for a small fortune and now where are we?

Football doesn’t work like that. If Newport get a decent draw in the next round tonight, that might give them a financial boost but so far they won’t have made a lot of cup cash. The problems for fan ownership don’t happen  when things are going well but when they are struggling on the field and it becomes very hard to enthuse the not so faithful to put their hands in their pockets. That’s the same position we are in.

I'd say that the difference is they have a manager with some greater level of ability in distinguishing a decent player. Why we were never in for podge baffles me still

He’s one of our loans
He’s one of our loans
Harvey Cartwright
He’s one of our loans
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 51
ginnywings
January 8, 2018, 3:01pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.05
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +55,972
Gold Stars: 538
Quoted from WOZOFGRIMSBY

I'd say that the difference is they have a manager with some greater level of ability in distinguishing a decent player. Why we were never in for podge baffles me still

There will be fun and games if he scores the winner on Saturday.  
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 51
January 8, 2018, 4:18pm
Guest User
Quoted from mimma
The only reason all the crap that is coming out at the moment is because of the crap being served up on the pitch. A change in management and an improvement in the playing side of things and it will all be forgotten.  

The only stumbling block is getting the RIGHT management team in place given who and where we are.

Well obviously no-one would want to get rid of this board if they were doing a good job. The whole point is that they aren't!

After 15 years of Fenty's best efforts the side produces a performance against Morecambe which had most Fishy posters in utter despair.
15 years is a long time, certainly long enough for a fair assessment of his capabilities as chairman/non-chairman.

So the first thing to point out is that his record of 'getting the RIGHT management team in place' is pretty abysmal.
We need more football wisdom in the boardroom; huge egos and yes-men are an excellent recipe for corporate disaster.
Reply: 32 - 51
arryarryarry
January 8, 2018, 5:22pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +9,940
Gold Stars: 113

Good for them but Newport is not Grimsby. Last January we sold Bogle for a small fortune and now where are we?

Football doesn’t work like that. If Newport get a decent draw in the next round tonight, that might give them a financial boost but so far they won’t have made a lot of cup cash. The problems for fan ownership don’t happen  when things are going well but when they are struggling on the field and it becomes very hard to enthuse the not so faithful to put their hands in their pockets. That’s the same position we are in.

In terms of getting through to the 4th round they have likely had around £100,000 in prize money and a similar amount if not more in additional gate receipts and live TV money.

Whereas we earned diddly squat.  
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 51
KingstonMariner
January 8, 2018, 6:52pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.12
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Quoted from AndyDarloFC
Fan-ownership is not all as it seems, only so much as fans you can give continually on a monthly basis, I can only afford £200 per month for Darlington. Whereas others cannot anything.

Clubs will always need an investor on the side sticking X amount in the club. There’s not a chance whatsoever clubs can survive with just fans funding.

Exeter managed it due to the FA cup games against the big clubs.
Wimbledon managed it due to selling a ground they effectively stole from Kingstonian.
We are struggling because we have a shitty ground at moment that we’ve funded ourselves and can’t win a cup game to save our lives lol.

If you ever go down this route, it’s a long hard road and you just can’t stop giving money to the club if you are frustrated at teams performance. The club would always be reliant on your incomings to help run it on a day to day basis.

That’s simply a lie about Wimbledon stealing Kingsmeadow Andy. They bought the lease from the guys who owned Kingstonian at the time. The guys that owned it at the time had bought the Ks for a quid and undertook to clear the debts, and made millions from the sale of the lease.

As sad as it is for the Ks, it wasn’t theft and if anyone is culpable of any immorality it’s the former owners. Also I don’t recall there being much opposition from Ks fans when the debt was run up by the previous regime through giving Chappel a bigger playing budget than they could hope to sustain. That’s why I think we should avoid the sugar daddy model of club ownership that many on this board are supporting.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 51
MuddyWaters
January 8, 2018, 7:00pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +31,883
Gold Stars: 230
Quoted from barralad

Best post on this thread by a country mile...

In your opinion. I'll state again, I admire the Trust greatly but they have no power and pay for a meaningless seat on the board. Marley, Day & Chapman will vote Fenty's way all day & every day - they have no money in the club & one in particular treats the fans with the same disdain as Fenty does.

You can grow the trust all you like but without a position of power & influence, GTFC will continue in the same, time-honoured Fenty way.
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 51
barralad
January 8, 2018, 7:21pm
Mariners Trust
Posts Per Day: 2.33
Rep Score: +86 / -20
Approval: +9,195
Gold Stars: 121
Quoted from MuddyWaters

In your opinion. I'll state again, I admire the Trust greatly but they have no power and pay for a meaningless seat on the board. Marley, Day & Chapman will vote Fenty's way all day & every day - they have no money in the club & one in particular treats the fans with the same disdain as Fenty does.

You can grow the trust all you like but without a position of power & influence, GTFC will continue in the same, time-honoured Fenty way.

Of course it's my opinion just as the stuff you keep repeating is yours. I don't know what you base your opinion on facts-wise and seeing as I don't have records of votes made I'm not sure how you can say with such certainty the way individual board members voted on any given issue. Under your argument the only way The Trust would have any influence at all would be to have a majority on the Board of GTFC. We don't deserve that level of representation and unless the club becomes fan owned which is extremely unlikely in the short or even medium term then it isn't going to happen. You say you admire the Trust but then criticise that what it has worked hard to achieve is meaningless. I speak to people weekly who are heavily involved in football trusts across the country and there are a lot who would kill for the profile we have with our arrangement. You should try ap0lying some balance to your view. Everything isn't as black as you paint it...

The aim of argument or discussion should not be victory but progress.

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 51
sonik
January 8, 2018, 7:37pm

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.28
Rep Score: +23 / -9
Approval: +28
Gold Stars: 1
Great response  Ian. UTM

The Futures Bright Its Black And White!
Private Message
Reply: 37 - 51
MuddyWaters
January 8, 2018, 7:39pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from barralad

Of course it's my opinion just as the stuff you keep repeating is yours. I don't know what you base your opinion on facts-wise and seeing as I don't have records of votes made I'm not sure how you can say with such certainty the way individual board members voted on any given issue. Under your argument the only way The Trust would have any influence at all would be to have a majority on the Board of GTFC. We don't deserve that level of representation and unless the club becomes fan owned which is extremely unlikely in the short or even medium term then it isn't going to happen. You say you admire the Trust but then criticise that what it has worked hard to achieve is meaningless. I speak to people weekly who are heavily involved in football trusts across the country and there are a lot who would kill for the profile we have with our arrangement. You should try ap0lying some balance to your view. Everything isn't as black as you paint it...

I stated that the seat on the board is meaningless, nothing else.
Private Message
Reply: 38 - 51
MuddyWaters
January 8, 2018, 8:34pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from barralad

I've just listened to Humberside Sports Talk, I didn't hear one comment in support of JF or RS. My view is a lot more balanced than many and things are far more black than they are white. UTM
Private Message
Reply: 39 - 51
6 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Fan ownership - a long-term solution

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.