Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Non League Bound?
Users Browsing Forum
Googlebot and 320 Guests

Non League Bound?

This thread currently has 4,782 views. Print
3 Pages Prev 1 2 3 Next All Recommend Thread
1mickylyons
January 3, 2018, 11:27am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.53
Rep Score: +42 / -14
Approval: +9,383
Gold Stars: 56
Quoted from moosey_club
Not this season.

Generally, last 2 games apart, we are set up too solidly to lose that many games that we could get outstripped by the 10 or so clubs below us    ....

Who knows next season...who will be in charge ? Lost track of who will still be under contract from the current deadwood in the squad so we may still be largely restricted in what we can do in terms of replenishing the squad.

This window is key for us now in many ways....can we offload some of the 10 or so players that Slade doesn't use at all ? Will he sign players on 18 months contracts or remainder of season loans ?

Will he recall, Osbourn, Tombola , Wright , Hall Johnson (? was that his name) to pep up the squad ?

If RS played his strongest available team and went for the win at home or against teams at the bottom like Crewe people would support that but that`s not his way. He likes to defend and hopefully score from a set piece then defend some more.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 26
moosey_club
January 3, 2018, 1:12pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.70
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,244
Gold Stars: 226
Quoted from 1mickylyons

If RS played his strongest available team and went for the win at home or against teams at the bottom like Crewe people would support that but that`s not his way. He likes to defend and hopefully score from a set piece then defend some more.

He had alot of injuries to deal with at Crewe so the thinness of the squad showed through......the fact Slade has largely used the same 16 players in the matchday squad all season shows that the depth just isnt there.....no one is pushing the starting 11 now....we have a right back playing left back who has massively improved that position, that just shows how thin we are in quality and cover.

Is that Slades fault ...partly so
Bignot ....partly
Hurst ...partly

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWLLDWLWLW
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 26
Skrill
January 3, 2018, 4:32pm

Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.23
Rep Score: +6 / -6
Approval: +604
Quoted from ginnywings
The board is too one dimensional. They are all middle aged (middle class?) white men of a certain mindset, from similar backgrounds and probably have similar political and business beliefs.

So is the fanbase...

[tweet]316134373063806976[/tweet]
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 26
chaos33
January 3, 2018, 4:36pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +17,929
Gold Stars: 360
That's patently ridiculous.

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 26
MuddyWaters
January 3, 2018, 5:38pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,233
Gold Stars: 235
A goal or two would be nice now and again.
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 26
HertsGTFC
January 3, 2018, 6:09pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.26
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,909
Gold Stars: 228
We won't go down this season. Next season we alongside possibly 10 -15 teams could be contenders for the drop but I doubt it.

Fenty recruited Slade for 2 reasons,

1 He's a safe pair of hands

2. It was an easy appointment

Mid table forever whilst we have the current regime unless we suddenly unearth some gems in the window and the summer.    

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 26
MuddyWaters
January 3, 2018, 6:52pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,233
Gold Stars: 235
Quoted from HertsGTFC
We won't go down this season. Next season we alongside possibly 10 -15 teams could be contenders for the drop but I doubt it.

Fenty recruited Slade for 2 reasons,

1 He's a safe pair of hands

2. It was an easy appointment

Mid table forever whilst we have the current regime unless we suddenly unearth some gems in the window and the summer.    

That's great then - let's see if Slade can produce Accrington's level of results on Accrington's gates.
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 26
golfer
January 3, 2018, 8:24pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.30
Rep Score: +34 / -18
Approval: +3,429
Gold Stars: 116
People keep saying the Board-what Board-we have 1 cockrill and 6 hens but no goose to lay the golden egg
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 26
HertsGTFC
January 4, 2018, 6:40am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.26
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,909
Gold Stars: 228
Quoted from ginnywings
I think the board are so focused on the financial aspect of running the club and Slade is so focused on results at the expense of everything else, that they have forgotten that football is supposed to be enjoyable; an entertainment. There is a disconnect between those running the club and the fans and i don't think they can see it, or if they can, they think we are being ungrateful to complain at what they see as them working hard to achieve something. There is a feeling of them and us; it's why we have guff like unity day. The fact that we have a loyal fan base keeping the club afloat keeps perpetuating the same old mediocrity on and off the pitch. In short, we are seen as ungrateful scrotes, when in reality, we are the club. It's nothing without the fans and every single one of us should be cherished, not chastised, which is what i feel at the moment.

The board is too one dimensional. They are all middle aged (middle class?) white men of a certain mindset, from similar backgrounds and probably have similar political and business beliefs. There is no diversity and none of them have any background in football. They may know business, but none of them know any more about football than any handful of fans picked at random from the stands. I'm sure they are doing their absolute best to achieve success, but if the product on the pitch is turning people off, then they are flogging a dead horse frankly.

Now to get to the point of the thread, i don't enjoy what is being served up but i don't sit there thinking we are doomed and heading back to non league. I think that fans have become jaded because of what i have said in the first part of my post and all they can feel is negativity toward the club and the team. It's all too easy to think we are going in the same direction that got us into non league last time and that it is going to happen again.

Over myriad seasons watching Town, i have seen many poor sides and many poor managers; it goes with the territory of supporting a small provincial club like ours. I'm far from happy at the moment, but as ever there is always the hope that keeps you going. We are not in a perilous position in the league and i am choosing to take the optimistic view that the team will be improved in the January window and we will start to move back up the league. This time last season, Notts County had just racked up a club record tenth straight defeat and look where they are now.

Nurse! Where's my happy pills?

Could not agree more our board is too small in terms of numbers, investment, expertise and thus proper consensus in its decision making process.
Sadly it's a boys club for the grey & retired, possibly all conservative in it's politics but defiantly conservative in it's outlook and ideas......classless, drab, unimaginative and stale.

Evidently from the debacle that was the fans forum their reason for existence is to off load the club, well that is what they told us then but next week we'll trumpet out a bright new future in a pipe dream of a new stadium.................at best the three stooges are armatures, some may say charlatans.  

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 26
GrimRob
January 4, 2018, 9:46am

Posts Per Day: 2.12
Rep Score: +76 / -34
Approval: +13,403
Gold Stars: 113
If we stay in this division indefinitely we're bound to go down eventually. With four promotion places though we should be challenging at the other end some if not most years.

'Tis better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all.  
~ Alfred Lord Tennyson

Logged Offline
Site Private Message Skype
Reply: 19 - 26
3 Pages Prev 1 2 3 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Non League Bound?

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.