Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Non League Bound?
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 337 Guests

Non League Bound?

This thread currently has 4,785 views. Print
3 Pages 1 2 3 Next All Recommend Thread
1mickylyons
January 3, 2018, 7:05am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.53
Rep Score: +42 / -14
Approval: +9,383
Gold Stars: 56
Not this Season but unless previous lessons are learned we could easily find ourselves heading back out the league within 2-3 years. We have signed a massive squad of mainly journeymen pro`s who offer little/nothing we have a Manager who has no previous success and a rapidly dropping fanbase.

OP massive success and this Club in footballing terms had the whole world in there hands why oh why are we back here again facing the abyss?

The on field stuff this season has been poor and to give RS the benefit of doubt he needed a massive turnover of staff to free up any funds or get his stamp on the side. However what are we doing it`s not even hoofball?What are we hoping to achieve short term/long term FFS?

I suspect but obviously have no proof the short term remit for RS is keep us safe whilst this new ground/white elephant gets built and then he will move into a director of football role.However due to the style of play on offer by the time the new ground comes around between 2020 and 2120 their will be nobody left who gives a fcuk.

Based on what has been witnessed so far on the field is there anybody out there who will be prepared to renew their season tickets for 2018/19 ?

Off the field

From bad to worse the whole GTFC set up seems to have had a ruck with the fans at one point or another whilst all the while wagging the finger and blaming us.

Were in a right mess on and off the field and we need a clear direction if we are to progress.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Marinerz93
January 3, 2018, 8:13am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.56
Rep Score: +89 / -11
Approval: +6,292
Gold Stars: 1
I think the state of the boardroom and their acts cause disillusion amongst the fan base has exacerbated the apathy and frustrations towards a poor performing team. Fenty in particularly seems to do something or say something to alienate the fan base just when things seem to pick up.

Sladeballs over reaction at the fans forum has also made people dislike him, with his statement of trying to build something for us without laying the foundations is also galling.

Like it has been said many times but it constantly falls on deaf ears, GTFC needs professional PR and a chairman, we have neither and it shows, just look at that tinpot club down the M180, they show us how amateur our boardroom is.

Supporting the Mighty Mariners for over 30 years, home town club is were the heart and soul is and it's great to be a part of it.

Jesus’ disciple Peter, picked up a fish to get the tribute money from it, Jesus left his thumb print on the fish, bless'ed is the Haddock.
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 26
jock dock tower
January 3, 2018, 9:22am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.37
Rep Score: +55 / -12
Approval: +3,164
To put it simply, we have no class from the very top downwards....and it shows. My God how it shows, we're up the proverbial creek paddleless.

No attempt at ethical or social seduction can eradicate from my heart a deep burning hatred of the Tory party. So far as I'm concerned they're lower than vermin. Aneurin Bevan.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 26
Garth
January 3, 2018, 9:46am

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.92
Rep Score: +55 / -13
Approval: +4,921
Gold Stars: 26
I will be renewing my season ticket next season whoever's in charge, I respect other people's viewpoints but the board and manager are temporary, the club and its history should be permanent and I for one will keep supporting and hoping that we can still do something to make the playoffs
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 26
TheRealJohnLewis
January 3, 2018, 9:50am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.30
Rep Score: +13 / -8
Approval: +2,308
Gold Stars: 39
Fenty's next appointment better be a good one, as there's a real chance this could end badly.
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 26
1mickylyons
January 3, 2018, 10:16am
Special Brew Drinker
I just want some clarity and a real statement of intent from the Football Club on where we are going? If they come out and tell me they expect to tread water for a couple of years whilst the ground gets built I don`t really like it BUT I would support it because it`s for the greater good long term.

Keeping the fans in the dark with pish poor player recruitment and an awful brand of football on offer most games whilst squabbling over things that don`t matter off the field is driving the fans away.

Large swathes of the support are angry,frustrated and worst of all fed up with what`s going on.Somebody please step up and tell us what the masterplan is for the next 3-5 years?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 26
ginnywings
January 3, 2018, 11:05am

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.03
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,122
Gold Stars: 548
I think the board are so focused on the financial aspect of running the club and Slade is so focused on results at the expense of everything else, that they have forgotten that football is supposed to be enjoyable; an entertainment. There is a disconnect between those running the club and the fans and i don't think they can see it, or if they can, they think we are being ungrateful to complain at what they see as them working hard to achieve something. There is a feeling of them and us; it's why we have guff like unity day. The fact that we have a loyal fan base keeping the club afloat keeps perpetuating the same old mediocrity on and off the pitch. In short, we are seen as ungrateful scrotes, when in reality, we are the club. It's nothing without the fans and every single one of us should be cherished, not chastised, which is what i feel at the moment.

The board is too one dimensional. They are all middle aged (middle class?) white men of a certain mindset, from similar backgrounds and probably have similar political and business beliefs. There is no diversity and none of them have any background in football. They may know business, but none of them know any more about football than any handful of fans picked at random from the stands. I'm sure they are doing their absolute best to achieve success, but if the product on the pitch is turning people off, then they are flogging a dead horse frankly.

Now to get to the point of the thread, i don't enjoy what is being served up but i don't sit there thinking we are doomed and heading back to non league. I think that fans have become jaded because of what i have said in the first part of my post and all they can feel is negativity toward the club and the team. It's all too easy to think we are going in the same direction that got us into non league last time and that it is going to happen again.

Over myriad seasons watching Town, i have seen many poor sides and many poor managers; it goes with the territory of supporting a small provincial club like ours. I'm far from happy at the moment, but as ever there is always the hope that keeps you going. We are not in a perilous position in the league and i am choosing to take the optimistic view that the team will be improved in the January window and we will start to move back up the league. This time last season, Notts County had just racked up a club record tenth straight defeat and look where they are now.

Nurse! Where's my happy pills?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 26
cmackenzie4
January 3, 2018, 11:11am

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 11.26
Rep Score: +130 / -10
Approval: +14,345
Gold Stars: 34
I also fear for the future ML , all it needs is for the board to have a proper relationship and engage more with the fans and when fans ask questions answer them in a polite manner and not see it as fans having a go, there are a lot of fans passionate about this club (my lad and me being two of them) I feel it’s only fair that the issues raised are answered because these issues are very valid points.

Grimsby and proud!
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 26
moosey_club
January 3, 2018, 11:23am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.70
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,243
Gold Stars: 226
Not this season.

Generally, last 2 games apart, we are set up too solidly to lose that many games that we could get outstripped by the 10 or so clubs below us    ....

Who knows next season...who will be in charge ? Lost track of who will still be under contract from the current deadwood in the squad so we may still be largely restricted in what we can do in terms of replenishing the squad.

This window is key for us now in many ways....can we offload some of the 10 or so players that Slade doesn't use at all ? Will he sign players on 18 months contracts or remainder of season loans ?

Will he recall, Osbourn, Tombola , Wright , Hall Johnson (? was that his name) to pep up the squad ?

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWLLDWLWLW
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 26
1mickylyons
January 3, 2018, 11:25am
Special Brew Drinker
Quoted from ginnywings
I think the board are so focused on the financial aspect of running the club and Slade is so focused on results at the expense of everything else, that they have forgotten that football is supposed to be enjoyable; an entertainment. There is a disconnect between those running the club and the fans and i don't think they can see it, or if they can, they think we are being ungrateful to complain at what they see as them working hard to achieve something. There is a feeling of them and us; it's why we have guff like unity day. The fact that we have a loyal fan base keeping the club afloat keeps perpetuating the same old mediocrity on and off the pitch. In short, we are seen as ungrateful scrotes, when in reality, we are the club. It's nothing without the fans and every single one of us should be cherished, not chastised, which is what i feel at the moment.

The board is too one dimensional. They are all middle aged (middle class?) white men of a certain mindset, from similar backgrounds and probably have similar political and business beliefs. There is no diversity and none of them have any background in football. They may know business, but none of them know any more about football than any handful of fans picked at random from the stands. I'm sure they are doing their absolute best to achieve success, but if the product on the pitch is turning people off, then they are flogging a dead horse frankly.

Now to get to the point of the thread, i don't enjoy what is being served up but i don't sit there thinking we are doomed and heading back to non league. I think that fans have become jaded because of what i have said in the first part of my post and all they can feel is negativity toward the club and the team. It's all too easy to think we are going in the same direction that got us into non league last time and that it is going to happen again.

Over myriad seasons watching Town, i have seen many poor sides and many poor managers; it goes with the territory of supporting a small provincial club like ours. I'm far from happy at the moment, but as ever there is always the hope that keeps you going. We are not in a perilous position in the league and i am choosing to take the optimistic view that the team will be improved in the January window and we will start to move back up the league. This time last season, Notts County had just racked up a club record tenth straight defeat and look where they are now.

Nurse! Where's my happy pills?

Good post Ginny and I don`t think Town will go up or down whilst Slade is at the helm but neither do I trust him to stay if an alternative offer comes his way given his previous?  I want to know his remit and I strongly believe it`s tread water with the carrot of director of football when the new ground comes about for his efforts. That is a plan albeit not a very exciting one for my ears but like I say I can buy into the reasoning and can see the long term thinking. What I can`t accept is being expected to pay good money to watch the crap on offer in the hope we may win the odd game. I have enjoyed 2 games this Season Chesterfield away and Swindon at home from around a dozen I have gone to and my enthusiasm is lower than for ages probably the last time Slade was here and I gave my season ticket away.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 26
3 Pages 1 2 3 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Non League Bound?

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.