Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Classic Threads › When did we last play good football?
Moderators: Moderator
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 11 Guests

When did we last play good football?

This thread currently has 11,426 views. Print
7 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next All Recommend Thread
barralad
September 29, 2017, 6:08pm
Mariners Trust
Posts Per Day: 2.33
Rep Score: +86 / -20
Approval: +9,195
Gold Stars: 121
Quoted from Maringer
It's also odd to think that, despite how good the football often was under Buckley, we never really got that close to actually winning the title of the division we were in. When promoted out of the Fourth Division, we finished ten points (!) behind Exeter, we only sneaked promotion the following year on goal difference and, in the Buckley Mk II era, we finished 13 points from an automatic promotion spot!

Bristol City and Watford were almost out of sight in 98. We managed two draws against the two of them.

The aim of argument or discussion should not be victory but progress.

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 50 - 63
KingstonMariner
September 29, 2017, 6:12pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.12
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Quoted from Maringer
It's also odd to think that, despite how good the football often was under Buckley, we never really got that close to actually winning the title of the division we were in. When promoted out of the Fourth Division, we finished ten points (!) behind Exeter, we only sneaked promotion the following year on goal difference and, in the Buckley Mk II era, we finished 13 points from an automatic promotion spot!

And that season there were 3 automatic promotion slots from the 3rd Division (as it still was) as well as the play-off place (which I think Tranny took) because the Football League* was adjusting the sizes of the divisions and increased the size of the 2nd Division.

* Oh what halcyon days! No Premier League and divisions named 1-4. Simples.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 51 - 63
Vance Warner
September 29, 2017, 7:22pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.18
Rep Score: +18 / -5
Approval: +2,772
Gold Stars: 99
Quoted from Tommy

I wouldn't say that's it, personally.

I think it's more a case of the pressure on Managers and the lack of time they are given which has changed their approach to games. Definitely at the higher levels, Managers want to pack their teams of players that will do their robotic job out of possession to get in the team's defensive shape. Many don't want to carry flair players because they aren't always as quick in transition when the team loses possession.

It's gone that way in the prem in this country, certainly since Mourinho first came to Chelsea and showed what could be achieved by having a well-drilled team that could defend as a unit 1-11.

Even the lesser teams (including international teams) are now set up more intelligently and more organised defensively these days resulting, generally, in less big one-sided wins.

In years gone by you'd have seen central midfielders with flair. Real footballers with attacking mindsets. Now you often see players like that shunted out wide because managers' first thought is for the central midfield to be tight and solid defensively so they're not trusted in CM. See Joe Cole. Gascoigne would've been made to play out wide if he played in the prem in this day and age.

Very good point. When was the last time we had a proper box to box midfielder? Dis got his fair share of goals but I wouldn't say he was box to box. Cunnington and Cockerill were arguably 2 in the same team. Groves was the best I've seen and Pouton and Bolland were far superior to what we have now. In an era when fitness is supposedly better than ever the only reason I can think of is that managers have coached it out of players.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 52 - 63
Garth
September 29, 2017, 7:36pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.93
Rep Score: +55 / -13
Approval: +4,913
Gold Stars: 25
Quoted from Vance Warner

Very good point. When was the last time we had a proper box to box midfielder? Dis got his fair share of goals but I wouldn't say he was box to box. Cunnington and Cockerill were arguably 2 in the same team. Groves was the best I've seen and Pouton and Bolland were far superior to what we have now. In an era when fitness is supposedly better than ever the only reason I can think of is that managers have coached it out of players.

Probably Summerfield is the only one who remotely falls into that category in todays squad.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 53 - 63
forza ivano
September 30, 2017, 12:46am

Exile
Posts Per Day: 2.47
Rep Score: +73 / -18
Approval: +15,140
Gold Stars: 265
What a good thread. Kingston mentions the Cambridge away in 2012 when we were absolutely awesome.frankie artus was superb.would love to know hursts and frankness recollections of that game.if only we could've replicated that performance,we would've walked the league.hurst was superb at controlled disciplined away victories,whilst ab produced the most consistently good footie. However I think it was Barra who mentioned the Brian laws reign.for me that that as the best quality and most incisive skilful football I've ever seen from town with ivano being the icing on the cake..we were flawed to be sure but by Christ when we were good we were breathtaking.tranmere, Huddersfield at home n Norwich away will live in the memory until I'm nodding off in the care home
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 54 - 63
toontown
September 30, 2017, 1:01am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +13 / 0
Approval: +6,159
Gold Stars: 69
Dizza was a box to box midfielder when he first arrived but time caught up with him.
Agreed that summerfield is probably the closest we have now. Maybe jamie osbourne when he is fully fit and over the shin splints?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 55 - 63
lukeo
September 30, 2017, 7:46am
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 2.07
Rep Score: +38 / -23
Approval: +2,304
Gold Stars: 134
Plymouth away, Bignot first game in charge. We absolutely bossed them from start to finish, played very good football and made top of the league look bang average... It was all down hill after that
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 56 - 63
Gaffer58
September 30, 2017, 4:40pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.88
Rep Score: +6 / -8
Approval: +4,034
Gold Stars: 31
In general though even the British players in the Premier are not really good,technical players, just whatch the home national teams, so by the time you get down to our level so long as they can run, trap a bag of cement, and kick it a long way there good enough. It's just the way football is going.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 57 - 63
KingstonMariner
September 30, 2017, 8:12pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.12
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Quoted from forza ivano
What a good thread. Kingston mentions the Cambridge away in 2012 when we were absolutely awesome.frankie artus was superb.would love to know hursts and frankness recollections of that game.if only we could've replicated that performance,we would've walked the league.hurst was superb at controlled disciplined away victories,whilst ab produced the most consistently good footie. However I think it was Barra who mentioned the Brian laws reign.for me that that as the best quality and most incisive skilful football I've ever seen from town with ivano being the icing on the cake..we were flawed to be sure but by Christ when we were good we were breathtaking.tranmere, Huddersfield at home n Norwich away will live in the memory until I'm nodding off in the care home

Don't forget the St Valentine's Day Massacre of West ham in the Cup. Stuffed them even without our best player.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 58 - 63
HertsGTFC
September 30, 2017, 8:17pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.23
Rep Score: +29 / -8
Approval: +22,636
Gold Stars: 217
[quote=120818]In general though even the British players in the Premier are not really good,technical players, just whatch the home national teams, so by the time you get down to our level so long as they can run, trap a bag of cement, and kick it a long way there good enough. It's just the way football is going. [/quote

What makes a “technical” player?

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 59 - 63
7 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Classic Threads › When did we last play good football?

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.