Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Classic Threads › When did we last play good football?
Moderators: Moderator
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 9 Guests

When did we last play good football?

This thread currently has 11,424 views. Print
7 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next All Recommend Thread
Maringer
September 28, 2017, 10:57am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.86
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,140
Gold Stars: 180
As I've noted in the past, my view is that because the players are now much bigger, much stronger and much fitter, there is effectively less room on the pitch and a lower division team could never play Buckleyball with any success these days as they just don't have the skill levels to do so. Watch footage of the era of Rees/Woods/Gilbert etc and you'll see that the athleticism we see from most teams these days didn't exist back then. The football was fantastic to watch at times, but the wide open spaces available made it possible. As an example, Colchester might have been distinctly average on Tuesday night but they were a team packed full of athletes and we had little space to work with even on the occasions when we managed some good play - remember Summerfield's two very good passes out wide in the first half? Our player still had a defender right on him attempting to block the cross whereas in Buckley's days it would have been a free run to the byline and picking your spot for the cross or running in for a shot.

At the top level of the game, the best players have the skill to play some breathtaking football at such high pace, but League Two players generally can't, the odd passage of play aside.

I'd say this is as much the reason for the demise of flair players as any other. You still get players who can beat a man or two, but they are then invariably surrounded by opposition defenders pretty much straight away.

What's the solution? Increase the size of the pitch, perhaps, so there is more space available? No surprise that the first thing that managers taking over struggling clubs tend to do is reduce the width of the pitch!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 63
Abdul19
September 28, 2017, 11:00am

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 3.42
Rep Score: +71 / -26
Approval: +17,449
Gold Stars: 213
I remember reading that Socrates' solution to the above was to change football to 9 a side!

JESUS AT THE CENTRE
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 63
livosnose
September 28, 2017, 11:10am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.54
Rep Score: +14 / -9
Approval: +1,143
Gold Stars: 15
Quoted from Maringer
As I've noted in the past, my view is that because the players are now much bigger, much stronger and much fitter, there is effectively less room on the pitch and a lower division team could never play Buckleyball with any success these days as they just don't have the skill levels to do so. Watch footage of the era of Rees/Woods/Gilbert etc and you'll see that the athleticism we see from most teams these days didn't exist back then. The football was fantastic to watch at times, but the wide open spaces available made it possible. As an example, Colchester might have been distinctly average on Tuesday night but they were a team packed full of athletes and we had little space to work with even on the occasions when we managed some good play - remember Summerfield's two very good passes out wide in the first half? Our player still had a defender right on him attempting to block the cross whereas in Buckley's days it would have been a free run to the byline and picking your spot for the cross or running in for a shot.

At the top level of the game, the best players have the skill to play some breathtaking football at such high pace, but League Two players generally can't, the odd passage of play aside.

I'd say this is as much the reason for the demise of flair players as any other. You still get players who can beat a man or two, but they are then invariably surrounded by opposition defenders pretty much straight away.

What's the solution? Increase the size of the pitch, perhaps, so there is more space available? No surprise that the first thing that managers taking over struggling clubs tend to do is reduce the width of the pitch!

Has Slade done this at BP?

[img][/img]
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 63
Maringer
September 28, 2017, 12:30pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.86
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,140
Gold Stars: 180
Pitch size at BP looks pretty normal to me, but then it's a reasonably compact ground with the stands close to the pitch so there is no leeway. Most of the modern pitches at new stadia seem to be around 5 yards longer than BP, but with the same width.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 63
realist
September 28, 2017, 12:34pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.15
Rep Score: +5 / -18
Approval: -2,675
Gold Stars: 41
That was an interesting post Maringer, I had never looked at football like that.   Mind you I am clueless about tactics, I just go to be entertained, which is getting harder at all levels of football.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 63
RichMariner
September 28, 2017, 12:55pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.50
Rep Score: +42 / -4
Approval: +9,109
Gold Stars: 204
The first half of the 95/96 season - particularly when we had Ivano in the team - was probably some of the best all-round football I've seen played by GTFC in my time.

It had Buckley's style at the core, but it also had the ability to mix it up a little, and be more direct, but still retained the skill (and it was enhanced through our favourite Italian on the left or through the middle).

I suppose we should credit Laws for evolving the Buckley style into something that, at one point in the season, looked good enough to get us in the play-offs, but we fell away badly that season - we all know what happened at Luton - so how much of the good football was down to the manager in post, or the manager before him, with a sprinkling of new players, is hard to measure.

"Don't shine that light in my face, mate - I've just lost a pint of blood."
Logged Offline
Site Private Message
Reply: 35 - 63
Mendonca1995
September 28, 2017, 1:16pm
Super Clive mendonca how much would he cost now
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.21
Rep Score: +6 / -1
Approval: +903
Gold Stars: 15
Quoted from livosnose

Has Slade done this at BP?

No mate the pitch hasn't been altered in terms of width I went on a stadium tour vs Crewe as the company I work for sponsored that game and that was the first question I asked as I am usually in the stand and couldn't tell myself the tour was great to be honest I see a lot of other areas around bp I haven't before was interesting

ALL TOWN AREN'T WE ⚫️⚪️
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 63
Mrs Doyle
September 28, 2017, 3:31pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.79
Rep Score: +22 / -13
Approval: +4,859
Buckleys sides were known in football circles as a team who would get the ball down and pass and move you need fit players to do this as possession was the key to success. When not in possession you harassed the opposition to win back the ball if done right at pace you could murder teams but slow it was ineffective. Having the right players was key but even Buckers appreciated the target man hence big Keith Alexander (RIP). Not the most skillful but a great target man difficult to dislodge off the ball.

Slade as a good blend up front to play any formation but whether he can get them to gel is another thing.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 37 - 63
Tommy
September 28, 2017, 5:07pm
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.22
Rep Score: +60 / -15
Approval: +8,859
Gold Stars: 76
The difference between a Buckley target man (eg Livvo) and pretty much every manager since is that his target men were strikers you'd play the ball into their feet (at worst their chest) and they'd hold it up and lay it off.

Not just a big lump to chuck the ball 50 feet in the air to and hope they can win a 50-50 aerial challenge.

"The greatest mistake you can make in life is to continually be afraid you will make one."
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 38 - 63
HertsGTFC
September 28, 2017, 7:06pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.23
Rep Score: +29 / -8
Approval: +22,628
Gold Stars: 217
I sometimes think all this obsession about shape and systems holds players back from playing off the cuff or whats in front of them.

When we have played good football we have got both the ball and players in the box at the moment it's one or the other or for long periods neither.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 39 - 63
7 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Classic Threads › When did we last play good football?

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.