This thread currently has 1,906 views. Print
1 Pages 1 Recommend Thread
AlanPoutonsTackle
May 20, 2015, 7:53pm
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.08
Rep Score: +14 / -3
Approval: +57
So the buzz of the play offs is over. Players have been released others offered contracts and other than Walker and winfarrah about right for me.
However 2 things
The majority of the players who have been offered contracts need to sign. 2 or 3 of them I don't rate that highly however I am thinking about continuity and team spirit. over the years we have had bad eggs, however good individually these players are you will never go up with them. I don't think we have them now for the first time in a long time and long may that continue.
We need a goalscorer. Seems obvious but we need a consistent scorer able to unlock your lower team defences in front of 500 people on a cold Tuesday night. When these teams set out to defend and to frustrate they manage against us too much in my book. We continue regularly dropping points against these teams next season then the beating of higher placed teams will be too big an ask again.
The fact that we got so close this season makes this pre season absolutely pivotal. Get it right and I think we will do it. Get it wrong and we could set ourselves back three years.
Our big mistake I think was not offering a good six of this squad another 18 months at Christmas. I know why we don't do it but by god I will be biting my fingernails waiting for them to sign.

"With a minute to go Buckley said keep it in the corner, I thought he meant the top corner." - Jim Dobbin
Private Message
gary_elton
May 20, 2015, 8:05pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.20
Rep Score: +23 / -6
Approval: +1,243
Gold Stars: 6
same same... hoping some aren't tempted away by league 2 sides...  I'm hoping that the
feel good / Wembley and fans relationship will persuade them to stay... it's by far the best team
spirit we've seen here for many a long year....  sign , sign sign boys....  

All my pictures , Seem to fade to black and white.... (Reg Dwight)
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 8
KingstonMariner
May 20, 2015, 8:09pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.07
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Quoted from AlanPoutonsTackle
So the buzz of the play offs is over.

Not judging by the talk of extra fundraising going on.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 8
mimma
May 20, 2015, 8:10pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.44
Rep Score: +15 / -2
Approval: +5,571
Gold Stars: 78
I happen to think that the last season there were three teams head & shoulder above the rest in the second half of the season.

Our form in the last half of the season would have won us the title any other year, but we had Barnet & Bristol Rovers matching us stride for stride. Barnet in particular were 15 points in front of us at one point, but we very nearly caught them.

Can't see that happening next season, there doesn't seem to be any other team that look like they can match that sort of form, yet!

IF we get a good start then I can see us not slipping up & winning the league.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 8
SamTheMariner
May 20, 2015, 9:45pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.13
Rep Score: +4 / -1
Approval: -101
That's true we don't need another 11 points after 9 games we need a fast start. Destroy the Barrows, Boreham Woods. Southports, Wellings and Bromleys of this world.

[img]http://www.thisisgrimsby.co.uk/images/localworld/ugc-images/275785/Article/images/18946866/4836403.jpg[/img]

Diz, a leader, a goal scorer, a true pro

UTM
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 8
Bignic69
May 21, 2015, 2:32pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.09
Rep Score: +3 / 0
Approval: +540
Gold Stars: 5
Quoted from mimma
I happen to think that the last season there were three teams head & shoulder above the rest in the second half of the season.

Our form in the last half of the season would have won us the title any other year, but we had Barnet & Bristol Rovers matching us stride for stride. Barnet in particular were 15 points in front of us at one point, but we very nearly caught them.

Can't see that happening next season, there doesn't seem to be any other team that look like they can match that sort of form, yet!

IF we get a good start then I can see us not slipping up & winning the league.

Thats going on current squads, there's a couple of clubs with large budgets that could make good signings.

Back of the net
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 8
Barrattstander
May 21, 2015, 3:04pm

Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.08
Rep Score: +7 / -1
Approval: +876
Gold Stars: 14
Quoted from AlanPoutonsTackle

We need a goalscorer. Seems obvious but we need a consistent scorer able to unlock your lower team defences in front of 500 people on a cold Tuesday night.

Agree we need someone else who can score but the team seemed to cope just fine last season away from home in front of small crowds.
It's at home we need the performances to improve we need to convert some of those 11 games we didn't win at home into victories as just two more wins and a draw would have seen us champions.

62 Seasons following the Mariners from the Barrett Stand side.(apart from 2020-21)
[img]https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DL2SD1UW4AAfaOx.jpg[/img]
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 8
barralad
May 21, 2015, 9:19pm
Mariners Trust
Posts Per Day: 2.32
Rep Score: +85 / -22
Approval: +9,290
Gold Stars: 126
Quoted from SamTheMariner
That's true we don't need another 11 points after 9 games we need a fast start. Destroy the Barrows, Boreham Woods. Southports, Wellings and Bromleys of this world.

Barrow have plenty of money. I wouldn't be surprised if they did an Eastleigh/FGR next season.

The aim of argument or discussion should not be victory but progress.

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 8
mariner91
May 21, 2015, 10:08pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.64
Rep Score: +78 / -11
Approval: +19,644
Gold Stars: 261
Quoted from KingstonMariner

Not judging by the talk of extra fundraising going on.

Agreed, seems to have galvanised the support if anything! A new determination from the fans to help in any way we can to get us out of this cesspit.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 8
1 Pages 1 Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Wake up call

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.