Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: AlanPoutonsTackle, May 20, 2015, 7:53pm
So the buzz of the play offs is over. Players have been released others offered contracts and other than Walker and winfarrah about right for me.
However 2 things
The majority of the players who have been offered contracts need to sign. 2 or 3 of them I don't rate that highly however I am thinking about continuity and team spirit. over the years we have had bad eggs, however good individually these players are you will never go up with them. I don't think we have them now for the first time in a long time and long may that continue.
We need a goalscorer. Seems obvious but we need a consistent scorer able to unlock your lower team defences in front of 500 people on a cold Tuesday night. When these teams set out to defend and to frustrate they manage against us too much in my book. We continue regularly dropping points against these teams next season then the beating of higher placed teams will be too big an ask again.
The fact that we got so close this season makes this pre season absolutely pivotal. Get it right and I think we will do it. Get it wrong and we could set ourselves back three years.
Our big mistake I think was not offering a good six of this squad another 18 months at Christmas. I know why we don't do it but by god I will be biting my fingernails waiting for them to sign.
Posted by: gary_elton, May 20, 2015, 8:05pm; Reply: 1
same same... hoping some aren't tempted away by league 2 sides...  I'm hoping that the
feel good / Wembley and fans relationship will persuade them to stay... it's by far the best team
spirit we've seen here for many a long year....  sign , sign sign boys....  
Posted by: KingstonMariner, May 20, 2015, 8:09pm; Reply: 2
Quoted from AlanPoutonsTackle
So the buzz of the play offs is over.

Not judging by the talk of extra fundraising going on.
Posted by: mimma, May 20, 2015, 8:10pm; Reply: 3
I happen to think that the last season there were three teams head & shoulder above the rest in the second half of the season.

Our form in the last half of the season would have won us the title any other year, but we had Barnet & Bristol Rovers matching us stride for stride. Barnet in particular were 15 points in front of us at one point, but we very nearly caught them.

Can't see that happening next season, there doesn't seem to be any other team that look like they can match that sort of form, yet!

IF we get a good start then I can see us not slipping up & winning the league.
Posted by: SamTheMariner, May 20, 2015, 9:45pm; Reply: 4
That's true we don't need another 11 points after 9 games we need a fast start. Destroy the Barrows, Boreham Woods. Southports, Wellings and Bromleys of this world.
Posted by: Bignic69, May 21, 2015, 2:32pm; Reply: 5
Quoted from mimma
I happen to think that the last season there were three teams head & shoulder above the rest in the second half of the season.

Our form in the last half of the season would have won us the title any other year, but we had Barnet & Bristol Rovers matching us stride for stride. Barnet in particular were 15 points in front of us at one point, but we very nearly caught them.

Can't see that happening next season, there doesn't seem to be any other team that look like they can match that sort of form, yet!

IF we get a good start then I can see us not slipping up & winning the league.

Thats going on current squads, there's a couple of clubs with large budgets that could make good signings.
Posted by: Barrattstander, May 21, 2015, 3:04pm; Reply: 6
Quoted from AlanPoutonsTackle

We need a goalscorer. Seems obvious but we need a consistent scorer able to unlock your lower team defences in front of 500 people on a cold Tuesday night.

Agree we need someone else who can score but the team seemed to cope just fine last season away from home in front of small crowds.
It's at home we need the performances to improve we need to convert some of those 11 games we didn't win at home into victories as just two more wins and a draw would have seen us champions.
Posted by: barralad, May 21, 2015, 9:19pm; Reply: 7
Quoted from SamTheMariner
That's true we don't need another 11 points after 9 games we need a fast start. Destroy the Barrows, Boreham Woods. Southports, Wellings and Bromleys of this world.

Barrow have plenty of money. I wouldn't be surprised if they did an Eastleigh/FGR next season.
Posted by: mariner91, May 21, 2015, 10:08pm; Reply: 8
Quoted from KingstonMariner

Not judging by the talk of extra fundraising going on.

Agreed, seems to have galvanised the support if anything! A new determination from the fans to help in any way we can to get us out of this cesspit.
Print page generated: April 26, 2024, 2:38pm