6 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All Recommend Thread
Maringer
April 17, 2015, 8:35am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,491
Gold Stars: 185
Probably still dealing with his 'issues'.

I know somebody who works at Billy Hills bookies and Aswad apparently asked to be self-excluded from the place the other year.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 40 - 51
Rodley Mariner
April 17, 2015, 9:12am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.36
Rep Score: +63 / -17
Approval: +13,239
Gold Stars: 177
Quoted from Maringer
Probably still dealing with his 'issues'.

I know somebody who works at Billy Hills bookies and Aswad apparently asked to be self-excluded from the place the other year.

A slippery slope. Apparently he only started gambling at all after reading about a bet365 offer on The Fishy.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 41 - 51
ginnywings
April 17, 2015, 9:55am

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.03
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,119
Gold Stars: 548
Quoted from Rodley Mariner

Because one of our entire squad is injured?

Yeah, the only left back at the club and the man whose form has played a massive part in our recent good run of results. It also means Magnay playing out of position and an inferior replacement at right back. It's a blow, no question and makes us weaker.

Can't believe my throwaway comment has attracted such negativity.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 42 - 51
Maringer
April 17, 2015, 10:08am
Barley Wine Drinker

A slippery slope. Apparently he only started gambling at all after reading about a bet365 offer on The Fishy.

I'm expecting the bailiffs in next week.  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 43 - 51
Rodley Mariner
April 17, 2015, 10:40am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.36
Rep Score: +63 / -17
Approval: +13,239
Gold Stars: 177
Quoted from ginnywings

Can't believe my throwaway comment has attracted such negativity.

You're not in the strongest position to make accusations of negativity Ginny!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 44 - 51
diehardmariner
April 17, 2015, 11:33am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.99
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,600
Gold Stars: 538
For me it has to be wither Paddy Mac or Winnfarah.  Arnold is the first choice down the left hand side so we've already got a slight in-balance with a right footer down that side, would want to avoid two at all costs.

Magnay hasn't let anyone down when he's played there.  But he's far more effective on the right hand side, plus against a decent side I've no confidence in either Bignot or Parslow at full-back.  Another point is that Magnay isn't at his best at present either, putting him on his wrong side only adds to problems.  

Both Winnfarah and Paddy Mac have proved, in very short spells, they are capable at left-back.  The combination of balance, keeping Magnay on his best side and lack of faith in replacement right-backs makes this an easy choice for me.  I'm certain Hurst will go Parslow in and Magnay moving across though.

There is the potential to go three at the back but there's only really Magnay who would be suitable at wing-back.  

Good thing is we've got these two dead rubbers to try things out.  I'll be disappointed if Hurst doesn't at least try Paddy Mac or Winnfarah against Southport or Aldershot.
Private Message
Reply: 45 - 51
wycombemariner
April 17, 2015, 12:16pm
UTM
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.34
Rep Score: +19 / -4
Approval: -56
Quoted from Maringer
I'd certainly like to see him as our left back next season, regardless of where we find ourselves.

Much better defender than "The Best Left Back Outside The Football League"!

when we signed himhe was the best outside the league, and he was for the first season.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 46 - 51
Maringer
April 17, 2015, 12:24pm
Barley Wine Drinker
I don't think Winfarrah should be considered - he's a kid who has played less than 90 minutes of League football for us this season and his last appearance in the League was in August! Did he even make an appearance in any of the Trophy games?

I have to admit that I'm less than convinced about Paddy playing as a full-back. He's not particularly strong, quick or good in the air for all his other ability. Could probably do a job there at a push but it seems daft to play somebody out of position at left-back when Magnay can and has played well there on many occasions throughout his career.

If we went the wing-back route, I suppose that Arnold could perhaps play on the left at a push? He's not worried about hard work and can tackle, though is obviously better going forward than defensively. Otherwise, I suppose that Paddy could perhaps play on the left as a wing-back though his lack of pace would count against him here.

If we were to try three at the back, I think we'd need Toto, Gowling and Pearson as the back three. Toto and Gowling are both pretty quick so would need to be covering across behind the inexperienced wing-backs.

Ultimately, I very much doubt we'll see a change in formation unless we try it out over the next two games and it works remarkably well.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 47 - 51
Maringer
April 17, 2015, 12:28pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from wycombemariner

when we signed himhe was the best outside the league, and he was for the first season.

Aswad had some very dodgy spells during his first season as well, as I recall.

Though he's not very good with the ball at his feet, his pace and strength show why he could be a good lower-division full-back. A Luton fan we deal with at work commented that he was the only player at this level who he'd seen mark Andre Gray out of a game and I certainly remember that as one of his best performances.

The problem is the lack of consistency and this is why he's likely to remain outside of the Football League for most of his career.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 48 - 51
ginnywings
April 17, 2015, 1:35pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.03
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,119
Gold Stars: 548

You're not in the strongest position to make accusations of negativity Ginny!

You call it negativity if you want. I'll call my opinions realistic, backed up by facts.

You seem to make a beeline for my posts lately and the earlier comment i refer to about us not doing stuff the easy way was merely a light hearted comment, as we usually find a way to intercourse stuff up. If you want to call that and other posts of mine negative. then so be it.

Someone else made exactly the same point with no x's and no-one quoting him.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 49 - 51
6 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › That's Gregor gone then

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.