Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: BPMariner, April 16, 2015, 3:59pm
Just when i thought he was looking decent. I don't think he is quite good enough for League 2 so i don't think he will be with us next season.

http://www.grimsby-townfc.co.uk/news/article/southport-team-news-2405409.aspx
Posted by: Abdul19, April 16, 2015, 4:09pm; Reply: 1
I see what you've done there
Posted by: Les Brechin, April 16, 2015, 4:13pm; Reply: 2
Shame, thought he was a pretty solid defender. Apart from giving the penalty away at Chester he was usually very reliable, never gave us as much in the attacking option as Thomas did but was by far a better defender than Thomas was.
Posted by: psgmariner, April 16, 2015, 4:19pm; Reply: 3
Cheeky loan bid for Aswad?
Posted by: mariner91, April 16, 2015, 4:23pm; Reply: 4
Think that really messes up our promotion chances. We have no other left back in the squad. Putting Magnay at left back makes him less effective getting forward. And whilst Parslow didn't do badly at Alfreton, he is so shite on the ball. Let's hope we don't have to play Bristol in the play offs because with virtually no attacking input from the full backs I can't see us being able to break them down.

One last hurrah from Bignot?
Posted by: grimsby pete, April 16, 2015, 4:28pm; Reply: 5
I don't think this is the end for Gregor,

We could still be in this league next season,

He  is a decent player at this level,

Even if we go up Gregor would be a good squad player.
Posted by: Les Brechin, April 16, 2015, 4:35pm; Reply: 6
Is it too late to bring in another loan signing?
Posted by: Abdul19, April 16, 2015, 4:36pm; Reply: 7
Yes
Posted by: Hagrid, April 16, 2015, 4:47pm; Reply: 8
gutted, big big blow, gregor is a solid defender and has been a big asset
Posted by: oldun, April 16, 2015, 4:57pm; Reply: 9
Sh1t. Let's hope whoever comes in gets up to speed quickly. I have a feeling we will my least favourite player, Parsley. If so he needs to up his game big time.
Posted by: Les Brechin, April 16, 2015, 5:00pm; Reply: 10
Bignot to come in for the play-offs, have a stormer in all 3 games and score the winning penalty against Bristol Rovers in front of a record crowd of 75,000 at Wembley.

You heard it here first.  :)
Posted by: Rodley Mariner, April 16, 2015, 5:01pm; Reply: 11
Shame but we've been pretty fortunate with injuries this season. If this is the worst bit of luck that the next month or so brings us then I'd settle for that.
Posted by: pizzzza, April 16, 2015, 5:11pm; Reply: 12
Options to avoid having to move Magnay from RB? Paddy at LB, even Winfarrah?
Posted by: Rodley Mariner, April 16, 2015, 5:16pm; Reply: 13
No to both of those for me. Magnay at left back seems the best of a not great selection of options.
Posted by: fivestarfish, April 16, 2015, 5:25pm; Reply: 14
Didn't PH threaten to come out of retirement at this time last year?
Posted by: gary_elton, April 16, 2015, 5:40pm; Reply: 15
I thought Gregor looked strong and had a great game at Alfreton... a big loss to our side
Posted by: grimsby pete, April 16, 2015, 5:54pm; Reply: 16
Quoted from fivestarfish
Didn't PH threaten to come out of retirement at this time last year?

Yes John he did mate ;)
Posted by: horsforthmariner, April 16, 2015, 5:54pm; Reply: 17
Gregor is a big loss, but to be fair I've always thought Parslow is pretty good at right back (much better than when he plays in midfield)

I don't think we can risk playing Magnay in either of the last two games. If he gets injured then we are actually stuffed.
Posted by: grimsby pete, April 16, 2015, 5:57pm; Reply: 18
Quoted from horsforthmariner
Gregor is a big loss, but to be fair I've always thought Parslow is pretty good at right back (much better than when he plays in midfield)

I don't think we can risk playing Magnay in either of the last two games. If he gets injured then we are actually stuffed.

Good thinking, it would give Hurst a chance to see Paddy or Caine play at left back and give either of them a chance to impress.
Posted by: Maringer, April 16, 2015, 6:30pm; Reply: 19
I don't think Parslow is good enough at full-back, unfortunately.

He's not the quickest, his distribution is poor and he offers nothing going forward. He does tend to look like a centre-half playing out of position. If a team play in an up and at 'em style with long balls towards the forwards he could do a job, but any winger with a bit of pace will cause him problems.

Personally, I'd bring Bignot back into the team. He's not exactly brilliant, but it is his proper position and on balance I'd trust him to make fewer mistakes playing there than Parslow.
Posted by: gary_elton, April 16, 2015, 8:05pm; Reply: 20
just get thru the next 2 games without injuries... rest who needs to... simple... and finish 3rd...

not too much to ask is it ???   ;)
Posted by: Garth, April 16, 2015, 8:25pm; Reply: 21
This is where the manager earns his corn, IMO he needs to try out another player other than Magnay at LB on Saturday, its obvious to all that he can do a job in that position but that proves nothing for future games.

Parsley/Bignot needs to start at RB and Paddy or another tried at LB, and bench Magnay as  protection against injury for more important playoff games
Posted by: moosey_club, April 16, 2015, 8:36pm; Reply: 22
Two remaining games,

Pearson , Gowling , Toto
                Magnay
Arnold,  Clay , Disley, Mackreth

Any 2 from the regular 3 up top

Posted by: The Yard Dog, April 16, 2015, 8:44pm; Reply: 23
[quote=32]Two remaining games,

Pearson , Gowling , Toto
                Magnay
Arnold,  Clay , Disley, Mackreth

Any 2 from the regular 3 up top

Resting James, might not help our goal difference advantage over Eastleigh

Posted by: mariner2000, April 16, 2015, 9:14pm; Reply: 24
is an emergency loan out the question as we have no recognised left back???
Posted by: WOZOFGRIMSBY, April 16, 2015, 9:23pm; Reply: 25
Hang on, Stuart Pearce isn't doing much...............
Posted by: Caveman, April 16, 2015, 9:34pm; Reply: 26
Gally looked quite good when he came on the pitch recently.
Posted by: pizzzza, April 16, 2015, 10:37pm; Reply: 27
Quoted from mariner2000
is an emergency loan out the question as we have no recognised left back???

Emergency loans are only for keepers fella.
Posted by: mariner2000, April 16, 2015, 10:40pm; Reply: 28
Quoted from pizzzza

Emergency loans are only for keepers fella.

balderdash, did wander about that!
Posted by: chaos33, April 16, 2015, 10:55pm; Reply: 29
No doubt this is a blow and any permeatation or reorganisation will weaken us to some extent, and I feel for the player himself. I tend to agree with Rodley though - if you take the bigger picture view, we've not been hit hard by injuries this season, and if we get through the next two games without additional casualties we should consider ourselves lucky to have come off relatively lightly on balance.
Posted by: KingstonMariner, April 16, 2015, 11:13pm; Reply: 30
Bit of a blow but this is one department where Hurst is at his best managerially. I'd trust whatever he comes up with.
Posted by: ginnywings, April 16, 2015, 11:21pm; Reply: 31
This is Town. We don't do it the easy way do we?
Posted by: bobbyturtle, April 17, 2015, 12:08am; Reply: 32
i liked him, no fuss, an old fashioned left back, who stepped up to the mark.
it gives someone else the chance to prove their worth, lets hope they take it!

we didn't expect it easy, did we?
Posted by: bobbyturtle, April 17, 2015, 12:09am; Reply: 33
wouldn't mind seeing him in a town shirt again utm
Posted by: Mrs Doyle, April 17, 2015, 3:52am; Reply: 34
Gregor is solid and dependable I hope we see him again preferably in the footy league proper there is not that much difference between league two and the conf prem anyway.
Posted by: Maringer, April 17, 2015, 6:44am; Reply: 35
I'd certainly like to see him as our left back next season, regardless of where we find ourselves.

Much better defender than "The Best Left Back Outside The Football League"!
Posted by: chaos33, April 17, 2015, 7:02am; Reply: 36
Quoted from Maringer
I'd certainly like to see him as our left back next season, regardless of where we find ourselves.

Yeah I agree.
Posted by: Les Brechin, April 17, 2015, 7:19am; Reply: 37
Quoted from Maringer

Anyone know the latest situation on our former left back. I see that he still hasn't been playing for Woking.
Posted by: Rodley Mariner, April 17, 2015, 7:41am; Reply: 38
Quoted from ginnywings
This is Town. We don't do it the easy way do we?

Because one of our entire squad is injured?
Posted by: mariner91, April 17, 2015, 8:28am; Reply: 39
Quoted from Les Brechin

Anyone know the latest situation on our former left back. I see that he still hasn't been playing for Woking.

Found this http://www.grimsbytelegraph.co.uk/GTFC-player-Aswad-Thomas-guilty-jumping-Grimsby/story-26274068-detail/story.html
Posted by: Maringer, April 17, 2015, 8:35am; Reply: 40
Probably still dealing with his 'issues'.

I know somebody who works at Billy Hills bookies and Aswad apparently asked to be self-excluded from the place the other year.
Posted by: Rodley Mariner, April 17, 2015, 9:12am; Reply: 41
Quoted from Maringer
Probably still dealing with his 'issues'.

I know somebody who works at Billy Hills bookies and Aswad apparently asked to be self-excluded from the place the other year.

A slippery slope. Apparently he only started gambling at all after reading about a bet365 offer on The Fishy.
Posted by: ginnywings, April 17, 2015, 9:55am; Reply: 42
Quoted from Rodley Mariner

Because one of our entire squad is injured?

Yeah, the only left back at the club and the man whose form has played a massive part in our recent good run of results. It also means Magnay playing out of position and an inferior replacement at right back. It's a blow, no question and makes us weaker.

Can't believe my throwaway comment has attracted such negativity.
Posted by: Maringer, April 17, 2015, 10:08am; Reply: 43

A slippery slope. Apparently he only started gambling at all after reading about a bet365 offer on The Fishy.

I'm expecting the bailiffs in next week.  :)
Posted by: Rodley Mariner, April 17, 2015, 10:40am; Reply: 44
Quoted from ginnywings

Can't believe my throwaway comment has attracted such negativity.

You're not in the strongest position to make accusations of negativity Ginny!
Posted by: diehardmariner, April 17, 2015, 11:33am; Reply: 45
For me it has to be wither Paddy Mac or Winnfarah.  Arnold is the first choice down the left hand side so we've already got a slight in-balance with a right footer down that side, would want to avoid two at all costs.

Magnay hasn't let anyone down when he's played there.  But he's far more effective on the right hand side, plus against a decent side I've no confidence in either Bignot or Parslow at full-back.  Another point is that Magnay isn't at his best at present either, putting him on his wrong side only adds to problems.  

Both Winnfarah and Paddy Mac have proved, in very short spells, they are capable at left-back.  The combination of balance, keeping Magnay on his best side and lack of faith in replacement right-backs makes this an easy choice for me.  I'm certain Hurst will go Parslow in and Magnay moving across though.

There is the potential to go three at the back but there's only really Magnay who would be suitable at wing-back.  

Good thing is we've got these two dead rubbers to try things out.  I'll be disappointed if Hurst doesn't at least try Paddy Mac or Winnfarah against Southport or Aldershot.
Posted by: wycombemariner, April 17, 2015, 12:16pm; Reply: 46
Quoted from Maringer

when we signed himhe was the best outside the league, and he was for the first season.
Posted by: Maringer, April 17, 2015, 12:24pm; Reply: 47
I don't think Winfarrah should be considered - he's a kid who has played less than 90 minutes of League football for us this season and his last appearance in the League was in August! Did he even make an appearance in any of the Trophy games?

I have to admit that I'm less than convinced about Paddy playing as a full-back. He's not particularly strong, quick or good in the air for all his other ability. Could probably do a job there at a push but it seems daft to play somebody out of position at left-back when Magnay can and has played well there on many occasions throughout his career.

If we went the wing-back route, I suppose that Arnold could perhaps play on the left at a push? He's not worried about hard work and can tackle, though is obviously better going forward than defensively. Otherwise, I suppose that Paddy could perhaps play on the left as a wing-back though his lack of pace would count against him here.

If we were to try three at the back, I think we'd need Toto, Gowling and Pearson as the back three. Toto and Gowling are both pretty quick so would need to be covering across behind the inexperienced wing-backs.

Ultimately, I very much doubt we'll see a change in formation unless we try it out over the next two games and it works remarkably well.
Posted by: Maringer, April 17, 2015, 12:28pm; Reply: 48
Quoted from wycombemariner

when we signed himhe was the best outside the league, and he was for the first season.

Aswad had some very dodgy spells during his first season as well, as I recall.

Though he's not very good with the ball at his feet, his pace and strength show why he could be a good lower-division full-back. A Luton fan we deal with at work commented that he was the only player at this level who he'd seen mark Andre Gray out of a game and I certainly remember that as one of his best performances.

The problem is the lack of consistency and this is why he's likely to remain outside of the Football League for most of his career.
Posted by: ginnywings, April 17, 2015, 1:35pm; Reply: 49

You're not in the strongest position to make accusations of negativity Ginny!

You call it negativity if you want. I'll call my opinions realistic, backed up by facts.

You seem to make a beeline for my posts lately and the earlier comment i refer to about us not doing stuff the easy way was merely a light hearted comment, as we usually find a way to intercourse stuff up. If you want to call that and other posts of mine negative. then so be it.

Someone else made exactly the same point with no x's and no-one quoting him.
Posted by: Rodley Mariner, April 17, 2015, 3:35pm; Reply: 50
Don't be so touchy or precious. It's a forum for discussion - if you want people to like and agree with everything you say then you're going to be disappointed. Nobody has attacked you or been rude or personal. As for making a beeline for your posts, I think this is the second time and it's probably because at times the moaning in your posts annoys me. Like I'm sure my general disposition to positivity annoys you. It's not personal because I have no idea who you are.
Posted by: ginnywings, April 17, 2015, 4:21pm; Reply: 51
Precious? You're right, you clearly don't know me.

Moaning and negativity are words thrown around this forum a lot toward anyone with a dissenting opinion.
Print page generated: April 25, 2024, 1:14pm