3 Pages Prev 1 2 3 Next All Recommend Thread
Maringer
March 28, 2015, 7:41am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,491
Gold Stars: 185
I always go to the North Sea Lane one myself. In the summer, you get the added entertainment of seeing Yorkies from the caravan parks specifically asking for cod. The pillocks.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 26
oldludensian
March 28, 2015, 12:20pm

Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.07
Rep Score: +8 / -8
Approval: +57
Quoted from Maringer
I always go to the North Sea Lane one myself. In the summer, you get the added entertainment of seeing Yorkies from the caravan parks specifically asking for cod. The pillocks.

Living in Essex and London for the last 17 years I have made it my life's mission to educate the eejits down here that haddock is the far superior fish. I see myself as the modern day Terry Waite (barring the kidnap) spreading the gospel (haddock) to the masses. Other learning points include the fact Grimsby is not in Yorkshit, Louth spire is 295ft and the Humber Bridge used to be the longest single span suspension bridge in the world.

As a result i have few friends  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 26
paulgtfc
March 29, 2015, 12:34pm
Never lost at the old Wembley!
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.09
Rep Score: +6 / 0
Approval: +202
Gold Stars: 2
Thanks for reviews everyone.

Opted for Fiveways as it was nearest to my route in.  Fantastic size of large haddock and good quality too; will happily revisit  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 26
chaos33
March 30, 2015, 12:58pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +17,929
Gold Stars: 360
Nice one mate.

I miss Leon's too. That was good. And the Pea Bung!

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 26
RichMariner
April 1, 2015, 1:52pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.50
Rep Score: +42 / -4
Approval: +9,132
Gold Stars: 209
I used to go to the County all the time when I was growing up in Cleethorpes, always found it far better than that one closer to the ground (used to be Hobson's).

More recently I've been going to the Ocean Fish Bar, which is really good too (if a little more expensive).

On a slightly separate note, does anyone remember when you used to queue out of the door when buying fish and chips at Saturday lunchtime? I grew up in the 90s and when I went to the County at around 12.30pm the queue used to be out of the shop. And I'm sure it wasn't just there, either.

You still get the odd queue here and there but it's nowhere near as bad as it used to be.

"Don't shine that light in my face, mate - I've just lost a pint of blood."
Logged Offline
Site Private Message
Reply: 14 - 26
Jarmo.Is.God
April 1, 2015, 4:01pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.98
Rep Score: +22 / -13
Approval: +6,050
Gold Stars: 86
Wybers has been took over and reopened yesterday, anyone been ?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 26
ginnywings
April 1, 2015, 5:06pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.03
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,119
Gold Stars: 548
Quoted from RichMariner
I used to go to the County all the time when I was growing up in Cleethorpes, always found it far better than that one closer to the ground (used to be Hobson's).

More recently I've been going to the Ocean Fish Bar, which is really good too (if a little more expensive).

On a slightly separate note, does anyone remember when you used to queue out of the door when buying fish and chips at Saturday lunchtime? I grew up in the 90s and when I went to the County at around 12.30pm the queue used to be out of the shop. And I'm sure it wasn't just there, either.

You still get the odd queue here and there but it's nowhere near as bad as it used to be.

As a kid in the 60's/70's, me and my younger brother would get sent to the chippy every Saturday and it was a long old job, usually queueing for ages. I was sometimes sent with a bowl of fresh fish, if my Dad had just landed or my Uncle had brought a parcel of fish home from work, which was fried for us at the chippy and wrapped in newspaper for which we had taken a big bag, then the bowl was filled with chips and a tea towel, which we took with us draped over he top. It was quite an operation. If Town were at home, we'd then all troop off to the match and we'd get egg and bacon for tea when we got home. Great memories.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 26
grimsby pete
April 1, 2015, 6:21pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.80
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,792
Gold Stars: 222
When I was a teenager on my way home from the Lifeboat pub,

I would stop at the chippie in Bentley St for Fish Pattie and Chips,

Lovely  

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 26
FishOutOfWater
April 2, 2015, 5:00pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.14
Rep Score: +52 / -7
Approval: +6,574
Gold Stars: 37
The one I remember using as a kid  (for a piece and six!) was on Yarborough Road (just around the corner from Norman Road and opposite what used to be Costello's newsagents)

The shop is now Little Caesar's Pizza (looking on Google)...don't know when it closed but I have fond memories of going there regularly, taking wet fish to be fried for my mum and dad too

You used to have to queue for ages there as I think that was probably the closest fish and chip shop there was to the Yarborough Estate, so had a really good trade back in the day

Nowadays when I come back to Town, I go wherever I can really...tried GR8 White near BP a couple of times and wasn't disappointed but best shop now? Only those living locally can say for sure
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 18 - 26
psgmariner
April 2, 2015, 7:41pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.69
Rep Score: +39 / -15
Approval: +5,480
Gold Stars: 33
I like the one on north sea lane near the caravan parks. Handily it's near my mother in laws. That Mariners chippy next to the ground looks shite. Nice guy who runs it though.

Private Message
Reply: 19 - 26
3 Pages Prev 1 2 3 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Best fish n chip shop

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.