Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: paulgtfc, March 27, 2015, 10:39pm
In town tomorrow but not got time for sit down meal at Steels. Where's the best place in Grimsby/Cleethorpes to get fish n chips as a takeaway?
Posted by: KingstonMariner, March 27, 2015, 11:05pm; Reply: 1
Marklews still pretty good. Humberstone Rd and Middlethorpe Rd (I assume).
Posted by: TownSNAFU5, March 27, 2015, 11:06pm; Reply: 2
Ocean Fish Bar on St Peter's Avenue never gets a mention on here but we always find it to be excellent.  Eating in or takeaway.  (Always a compensating delight if the football has been poor). Quite a few Town fans go in there.
Posted by: chaos33, March 27, 2015, 11:27pm; Reply: 3
North Sea Lane is my favourite takeaway if there's time, but the chippy near the ground itself (coming from Grimsby. not Cleethorpes) is really good I think. The Haddock is excellent and the chips are spot on.
Posted by: Sigone, March 27, 2015, 11:51pm; Reply: 4
Gr8 White Fish, near to the ground.  Fish is spot on, though not so good if you like your fish with skin on as it comes skinless.  Chips are ok not great but ok.  Mariners chippy YUK.  County is ok and one of the only shops to still do Fish Pattie(good ones too).
Posted by: ginnywings, March 28, 2015, 12:17am; Reply: 5
North Sea Lane is really good and they have another at the bottom of Isaacs Hill which is good too. Ernie Becketts hit and miss as is Marklews lately. The Humberston Road one that is.

Had some from Fiveways Fisheries this evening and they were spot on. Never tried the GR8 White Fish but think i'll give it a go sometime. Never tried the Ocean one either.
Posted by: Youngy, March 28, 2015, 12:28am; Reply: 6
Wybers Chippy is constantly good. There always queuing out of the door. Very good quality.
Posted by: louth_in_the_south, March 28, 2015, 12:31am; Reply: 7
I lived near wybers chippy about 10 years ago and still think about it when I'm hungry ! Probably the best I've ever had he says drooling
Posted by: mimma, March 28, 2015, 12:46am; Reply: 8
Had a large haddock from Fiveways fish n chips.

Got to be the biggest piece of fish I've ever had.

Awesome!!
Posted by: heppy88, March 28, 2015, 12:52am; Reply: 9
Wybers is the best fish and chips from a takeaway ive ever had and its been constantly good for 30 years!
Posted by: Maringer, March 28, 2015, 7:41am; Reply: 10
I always go to the North Sea Lane one myself. In the summer, you get the added entertainment of seeing Yorkies from the caravan parks specifically asking for cod. The pillocks.
Posted by: oldludensian, March 28, 2015, 12:20pm; Reply: 11
Quoted from Maringer
I always go to the North Sea Lane one myself. In the summer, you get the added entertainment of seeing Yorkies from the caravan parks specifically asking for cod. The pillocks.

Living in Essex and London for the last 17 years I have made it my life's mission to educate the eejits down here that haddock is the far superior fish. I see myself as the modern day Terry Waite (barring the kidnap) spreading the gospel (haddock) to the masses. Other learning points include the fact Grimsby is not in Yorkshit, Louth spire is 295ft and the Humber Bridge used to be the longest single span suspension bridge in the world.

As a result i have few friends  :P
Posted by: paulgtfc, March 29, 2015, 12:34pm; Reply: 12
Thanks for reviews everyone.

Opted for Fiveways as it was nearest to my route in.  Fantastic size of large haddock and good quality too; will happily revisit  :P
Posted by: chaos33, March 30, 2015, 12:58pm; Reply: 13
Nice one mate.

I miss Leon's too. That was good. And the Pea Bung!
Posted by: RichMariner, April 1, 2015, 1:52pm; Reply: 14
I used to go to the County all the time when I was growing up in Cleethorpes, always found it far better than that one closer to the ground (used to be Hobson's).

More recently I've been going to the Ocean Fish Bar, which is really good too (if a little more expensive).

On a slightly separate note, does anyone remember when you used to queue out of the door when buying fish and chips at Saturday lunchtime? I grew up in the 90s and when I went to the County at around 12.30pm the queue used to be out of the shop. And I'm sure it wasn't just there, either.

You still get the odd queue here and there but it's nowhere near as bad as it used to be.
Posted by: Jarmo.Is.God, April 1, 2015, 4:01pm; Reply: 15
Wybers has been took over and reopened yesterday, anyone been ?
Posted by: ginnywings, April 1, 2015, 5:06pm; Reply: 16
Quoted from RichMariner
I used to go to the County all the time when I was growing up in Cleethorpes, always found it far better than that one closer to the ground (used to be Hobson's).

More recently I've been going to the Ocean Fish Bar, which is really good too (if a little more expensive).

On a slightly separate note, does anyone remember when you used to queue out of the door when buying fish and chips at Saturday lunchtime? I grew up in the 90s and when I went to the County at around 12.30pm the queue used to be out of the shop. And I'm sure it wasn't just there, either.

You still get the odd queue here and there but it's nowhere near as bad as it used to be.

As a kid in the 60's/70's, me and my younger brother would get sent to the chippy every Saturday and it was a long old job, usually queueing for ages. I was sometimes sent with a bowl of fresh fish, if my Dad had just landed or my Uncle had brought a parcel of fish home from work, which was fried for us at the chippy and wrapped in newspaper for which we had taken a big bag, then the bowl was filled with chips and a tea towel, which we took with us draped over he top. It was quite an operation. If Town were at home, we'd then all troop off to the match and we'd get egg and bacon for tea when we got home. Great memories.
Posted by: grimsby pete, April 1, 2015, 6:21pm; Reply: 17
When I was a teenager on my way home from the Lifeboat pub,

I would stop at the chippie in Bentley St for Fish Pattie and Chips,

Lovely  8)
Posted by: FishOutOfWater, April 2, 2015, 5:00pm; Reply: 18
The one I remember using as a kid  (for a piece and six!) was on Yarborough Road (just around the corner from Norman Road and opposite what used to be Costello's newsagents)

The shop is now Little Caesar's Pizza (looking on Google)...don't know when it closed but I have fond memories of going there regularly, taking wet fish to be fried for my mum and dad too

You used to have to queue for ages there as I think that was probably the closest fish and chip shop there was to the Yarborough Estate, so had a really good trade back in the day

Nowadays when I come back to Town, I go wherever I can really...tried GR8 White near BP a couple of times and wasn't disappointed but best shop now? Only those living locally can say for sure
Posted by: psgmariner, April 2, 2015, 7:41pm; Reply: 19
I like the one on north sea lane near the caravan parks. Handily it's near my mother in laws. That Mariners chippy next to the ground looks shite. Nice guy who runs it though.
Posted by: Southwark Mariner, April 2, 2015, 7:48pm; Reply: 20
I've had fish and chips from the Wybers chippy twice and both times the fish was great but the chips were disappointing. Both times my family bigged it up and I was disappointed.

In London I have some great fish and chips from a place called Golden Union just off Oxford Street. Large Haddock and chips? £13.50....which is only £3 more than Steels! They do have the most amazing mushy peas I've ever had too! AND you get served by Rachel Stevens and Jessica-Jane Clement

[img]http://puu.sh/gZ7V9/3d486788b0.jpg[/img]

http://www.goldenunion.co.uk/
Posted by: Chrisblor, April 2, 2015, 11:49pm; Reply: 21
I've always found Ocean Fish Bar to be underwhelming compared to it's reputation - portions are disappointingly small and while the quality is ok, it's nothing special. Marklews can be a bit hit and miss, but when they hit they're absolutely superb. Quite a big fan of Ernie Beckett's too.

I always feel a tinge of disappointment walking past 'Mariners' before a match inevitably witnessing away supporters stood outside tucking into their food. No doubt they came to Cleethorpes with high expectations of the fish and chips, only to end up with that total rubbish.
Posted by: BenBB, April 3, 2015, 4:26pm; Reply: 22
Quoted from Jarmo.Is.God
Wybers has been took over and reopened yesterday, anyone been ?

Yeah. It's just as good as ever.

They've got some new staff in who don't really know what they're doing yet though, so be expecting to wait a bit longer.
Thankfully some of the long-time staff are still there to keep them in shape.
Posted by: sutton mariner, April 3, 2015, 5:34pm; Reply: 23
Any of em gonna be open at 11:30 tonight when I get into town?
Posted by: Les Brechin, April 3, 2015, 7:22pm; Reply: 24
Wybers chippy definitely as popular as ever.

[img]https://fbcdn-sphotos-g-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xap1/v/t1.0-9/10600352_878300478880158_6709704285019104903_n.jpg?oh=d9e40bab6dd6d1f0229afa67f873c91b&oe=55B6B043&__gda__=1436314783_67fd780a125ee4925385762ee02e3ca5[/img]
Posted by: Biccys, April 10, 2015, 11:50am; Reply: 25
When I lived in Gy as a kid my old man ran the Mariners Rest boozer and we used to go to Freemo on a friday for dinner, started to go to Cox's but it turned a bit crap so we went to the Pea Bung which as I remember was amazing. Their ordering method was great too. The waitress would take the order then shout over to the fryers "2 with and unmentionables..." Which is clearly "2 x haddock, chips and peas with scraps"
Posted by: moosey_club, April 13, 2015, 9:59pm; Reply: 26
Quoted from Southwark Mariner
I've had fish and chips from the Wybers chippy twice and both times the fish was great but the chips were disappointing. Both times my family bigged it up and I was disappointed.

In London I have some great fish and chips from a place called Golden Union just off Oxford Street. Large Haddock and chips? £13.50....which is only £3 more than Steels! They do have the most amazing mushy peas I've ever had too! AND you get served by Rachel Stevens and Jessica-Jane Clement

[img]http://puu.sh/gZ7V9/3d486788b0.jpg[/img]

http://www.goldenunion.co.uk/

I would expect a fking blow job from the aforementioned thrown in for that money......
Print page generated: April 23, 2024, 1:40pm