2 Pages 1 2 Next All Recommend Thread
TownSNAFU5
March 21, 2015, 8:37pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +30 / -21
Approval: +6,773
Gold Stars: 41

What do people think of our chances? (Bar 1 in 4 mathematically).

For the last 2 years we have struggled/failed badly.  Both after playing at home first when there is a lot of pressure to get off to a good start.

Previously, I have not thought that we were stronger than our play-off opponents.

I would like us to finish in the top 2 in the play-offs this season.  I think this gives us an advantage over playing at home first. You also know what you have to do and away goals do not count double.

This year I would be fairly confident (rightly or wrongly) that we can beat any team over 2 legs or in one game.  EVEN if we played at home first. That is apart from Bristol Rovers. I would rather they up as champions.  

We are on a very good run of form (at just the right time) and Palmer could cause tired defences too many problems.
Logged Offline
Private Message
TownSNAFU5
March 21, 2015, 9:05pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +30 / -21
Approval: +6,773
Gold Stars: 41
I could add that if it was Barnet, Macclesfield and Eastleigh in the play-offs then we have beaten all 3 away from home and 2 teams at home.  Taking 15 points out of a possible 18.

The play-offs are completely different  However, these results must give us a lot of encouragement and confidence that we can win.

(Yes I realise that we beat Cheltenham home and away in the league and then lost to them in the final).

The above results this season are far more comprehensive and indicative of our true quality against the best teams.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 19
sonofmadeleymariner
March 21, 2015, 9:21pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.89
Rep Score: +19 / -10
Approval: +1,399
Gold Stars: 35
If Bristol Rovers went up champions I would be quietly confident as I feel we can beat any of the other top 6 in the league over two legs and would only really fear Barnet in the final because of Akinde diving antics getting someone sent off early in the game,

I don't mind Roy Keane making £60,000 a week. I was making the same when I was playing. The only difference was I was printing my own - Mickey Thomas

The area you are trying to protect at corners is the goal - Chris Kamara

I once said Gazza's IQ was less than his shirt number and he asked me: What's an IQ? - George Best
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 19
TAGG
March 21, 2015, 9:27pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.93
Rep Score: +26 / -26
Approval: +2,981
Gold Stars: 121
Will be the same result as the last two.
We need to win the league to get out of it with this manager.

In his three stints as Grimsby Town manager spanning over 10 years the club was never relegated and he also guided them to three promotions.
Only 14 managers have reached 1,000 matches in charge of a Football League team by 1998 and Buckley is one of them.
GOD
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 19
RonMariner
March 21, 2015, 9:36pm

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.39
Rep Score: +42 / -7
Approval: +13,008
Gold Stars: 216
Quoted from TownSNAFU5

What do people think of our chances? (Bar 1 in 4 mathematically).

For the last 2 years we have struggled/failed badly.  Both after playing at home first when there is a lot of pressure to get off to a good start.

Previously, I have not thought that we were stronger than our play-off opponents.

I would like us to finish in the top 2 in the play-offs this season.  I think this gives us an advantage over playing at home first. You also know what you have to do and away goals do not count double.

This year I would be fairly confident (rightly or wrongly) that we can beat any team over 2 legs or in one game.  EVEN if we played at home first. That is apart from Bristol Rovers. I would rather they up as champions.  

We are on a very good run of form (at just the right time) and Palmer could cause tired defences too many problems.

I would prefer to play away first, as we have a great away record. If we get a good result in the away leg, it forces the opponent to attack in the second leg. That would also suit as we do struggle to break down teams that part the bus.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 19
Theimperialcoroner
March 21, 2015, 9:49pm

Posts Per Day: 1.05
Rep Score: +47 / -3
Approval: +5,088
Gold Stars: 93
I'd fear no one in the play offs, not even Bristol. At the moment, we have the best team in the league. Such a shame it took us until Christmas to be so.

Batch, Crombie, Moore K, Wiggington, Cumming, Waters, Bonnyman, Ford, Emson, Drinkell, Whymark. Love you all, You are the reason I'm on here. You've had help from Todd, Handyside, Futcher P, Groves, Mendonca, Macca etc etc etc. Up The Mariners!!!!!!!!!
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 19
thevera
March 21, 2015, 9:49pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.16
Rep Score: +10 / -5
Approval: +992
Gold Stars: 5
Quoted from TAGG
Will be the same result as the last two.
We need to win the league to get out of it with this manager.

You are so tiringly predictable
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 19
TAGG
March 21, 2015, 10:09pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.93
Rep Score: +26 / -26
Approval: +2,981
Gold Stars: 121
Quoted from thevera

You are so tiringly predictable

😴
                    😴
                         😴

In his three stints as Grimsby Town manager spanning over 10 years the club was never relegated and he also guided them to three promotions.
Only 14 managers have reached 1,000 matches in charge of a Football League team by 1998 and Buckley is one of them.
GOD
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 19
GrimRob
March 21, 2015, 10:22pm

Posts Per Day: 2.12
Rep Score: +76 / -34
Approval: +13,343
Gold Stars: 113
For me playing the second leg at home is the best thing you can do to swing the tie on your favour and improve the odds over 25%. The two occasions we have reached the final the fans at BP have got us over the line.Our supporters can get on the players backs sometimes but they can also lift them in the really big games.

On a historical note in 1998 Bristol Rovers and Grimsby were both in the play-offs and we won them!.

'Tis better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all.  
~ Alfred Lord Tennyson

Logged Offline
Site Private Message Skype
Reply: 8 - 19
northbankmariner
March 21, 2015, 10:29pm

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.33
Rep Score: +27 / -3
Approval: +525
If and it is still a big if we secure a play off berth I would not fancy Bristol rovers over 2 legs, Crikey they have only lost 5 all season so far and that is the consistency that scares me to be honest. As for the other candidates, they all have merits  could we keep akinde quiet again? Don't know, but play offs are a lottery as we all know and impossible to judge. I said at the start of the season I want the 2 teams that deserve to go up, go up. Time will tell over the next few weeks as to wether we deserve it more than the others. UTM

CLAP
CLAP
CLAP CLAP CLAP CLAP
FISH
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 19
2 Pages 1 2 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › If "reasonably assuming in playoffs"

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.