This thread currently has 3,519 views. Print
2 Pages Prev 1 2 All Recommend Thread
Kymariner12
March 21, 2015, 10:34pm
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.08
Rep Score: +2 / -2
Approval: +102
I'd rather us not play macclesfield. Just feel more confident against Barnet. Would happily play Fgr as our record against them is very impressive. I've said before that if it's bristol v us in the play off final there could well be a new record attendance for such an occasion in the Conference. It's exciting yet very nervewracking knowing our 5 year exodus could be coming to an end. It took Luton that amount of time so hopefully we do likewise.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 19
LH
March 21, 2015, 10:45pm

Posts Per Day: 1.92
Rep Score: +30 / -13
Approval: +18,389
Gold Stars: 169
How is it big if that we will finish in the play offs?
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 19
KingstonMariner
March 21, 2015, 11:08pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.12
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Quoted from GrimRob
For me playing the second leg at home is the best thing you can do to swing the tie on your favour and improve the odds over 25%. The two occasions we have reached the final the fans at BP have got us over the line.Our supporters can get on the players backs sometimes but they can also lift them in the really big games.

On a historical note in 1998 Bristol Rovers and Grimsby were both in the play-offs and we won them!.

And Brizzle were beaten in the PO semis by a big cynical direct side who'd just been promoted from the lower division the season before.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 19
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
March 21, 2015, 11:16pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.35
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
For me it doesn't matter who else is in the playoffs or whether we play at home first. It's a whole new competition. The big question marks for Town are whether we can score enough goals to win games and whether we have the tactics and ability to turn around a tie if we go behind.

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 19
horsforthmariner
March 21, 2015, 11:37pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.29
Rep Score: +7 / -2
Approval: +2,575
Gold Stars: 8
If we get in the play offs I hope we end up with Macc as there the team that seem to be like us in the last two seasons - i.e. going off the boil at the end of the season.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 19
itsnotcoditshaddock
March 22, 2015, 12:08am

Pontoonite
Posts Per Day: 0.16
Rep Score: +4 / -3
Approval: +312
I think it's highly unlikely we'll be playing Bristol Rovers over two legs as this would surely mean they would have finished 2nd and us 5th. It's more than likely going to be Macc assuming we don't win the league.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 19
ginnywings
March 22, 2015, 1:37am

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.05
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +55,972
Gold Stars: 538
Who knows what will happen? A solid 46 game season can go out of the window in a flash. Poor refereeing decision, not get the rub of the green, don't turn up on the day and you're gone.

Better to win it but we left it too late IMO. If we'd had a proper striker sooner, we'd have drunk it.

Yeah, yeah, bring on the crosses but that's the way i see it.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 19
Maringer
March 22, 2015, 9:24am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.86
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,141
Gold Stars: 180
I think in general, the better team over the two games progresses through to the play-off final. The past two seasons I think that this has just about been the case with us.

However, I do think back to the first play-off game against Newport when they scored from a free-kick awarded for what was actually a blatant foul on Thomas. As I recall, that was their only effort on target at BP? Not saying we would necessarily have been good enough to win the away leg in any case, but it might well have been different if we hadn't needed to chase the game. A poor refereeing decision certainly influenced that tie.

Obviously, much the same last season (yet more so) with the ridiculous red card given to Neilson in the second leg which pretty much ended any slim chance we had in that tie.

This season (well, since the arrival of Palmer) we've actually begun to look like a team capable of winning promotion. More hopeful that we would now be capable of overcoming dodgy refereeing decisions in a crunch game.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 19
Caesar
March 22, 2015, 10:13am

Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.26
Rep Score: +12 / -2
Approval: +1,794
If we cannot quite overturn the leaders (which I think will unfortunately be the case) then this is our best chance so far imo.

We have the best squad we have had at this level imo, and on our day can really dominate teams.  I think all our fears and frustrations with Hurst and Town this season is that with a little bit more intensity and consistency we could be in an even better position.  But I would genuinely enter the playoffs with more confidence than I have ever had!

UTM  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 19
rancido
March 22, 2015, 1:02pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +41 / -10
Approval: +6,448
Gold Stars: 91
The last two seasons we have almost staggered into the play-offs , with unconvincing performances against mediocre teams. This has been especially true for the second half of the season. This season we have started indifferent but post Christmas we have looked a more creditable promotion side. I know the play-offs can be a lottery and results can hinge on poor refereeing performances or one defensive error but I genuinely believe we can achieve promotion through the play-offs regardless of who we play.

The Future is Black & White.
"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 19
2 Pages Prev 1 2 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › If "reasonably assuming in playoffs"

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.