Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Can you remember what promotion feels like?
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 347 Guests

Can you remember what promotion feels like?

This thread currently has 8,085 views. Print
7 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next All Recommend Thread
GrimRob
March 11, 2015, 10:11am

Posts Per Day: 2.12
Rep Score: +76 / -34
Approval: +13,403
Gold Stars: 113
We were last promoted in 1998 nearly 17 years ago. Can anyone under 30 remember much about it?

'Tis better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all.  
~ Alfred Lord Tennyson

Logged Offline
Site Private Message Skype
AdamHaddock
March 11, 2015, 10:48am

Main Stander
Posts Per Day: 1.26
Rep Score: +36 / -5
Approval: +2,839
Gold Stars: 26
At home listening on the radio. Felt good, wish I was there to see it though. Was 13 at the time

[img]https://images.app.goo.gl/bymuz36koLHofSn79[/img]
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 63
Kymariner12
March 11, 2015, 10:53am
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.08
Rep Score: +2 / -2
Approval: +102
I'm 23 and all I really know is disappointment/failure. I began to take real notice of town probably 10 years ago and have seen us lose in the league 2 playoff final, lose in the JPT final, lose in the Fa trophy final and lose in the playoffs twice and I suppose you can add a third round Fa cup defeat as we should have beat Huddersfield. Here's hoping this is our year!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 63
mariner91
March 11, 2015, 11:05am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.64
Rep Score: +78 / -11
Approval: +19,625
Gold Stars: 260
I'm 23 and started going in 1999 with my Dad. Never experienced promotion.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 63
pizzzza
March 11, 2015, 11:05am

Pontoonite
Posts Per Day: 1.06
Rep Score: +20 / -10
Approval: +6,701
Gold Stars: 137
I remember it well, but then again I am not under 30.....
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 63
Les Brechin
March 11, 2015, 11:15am

Posts Per Day: 4.17
Rep Score: +114 / -24
Approval: +12,701
Gold Stars: 174
Quoted from pizzzza
I remember it well, but then again I am not under 30.....

Same here. I've been lucky enough to remember 6 promotion seasons, 1972 (just), 1979, 1980, 1990, 1991 and 1998.

Here's hoping I'll witness another one in 2015.

I feel for all our younger supporters who have only ever known us be pretty rubbish for most of the time.

[img]https://news.images.itv.com/image/file/402260/image_update_img.jpg[/img]
OFFICIAL FUNDRAISER FOR THE BRAIN TUMOUR CHARITY
TOTAL AMOUNT RAISED SINCE AUGUST 2008 £16613.24

LATEST DONATION - FROM DONATION FROM THE FISHY FORUM - AUG 2023 AMOUNT RAISED £170.00

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 63
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
March 11, 2015, 11:28am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.34
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
My first experience was a relegation in 1957-8 followed by a promotion in 1962. I remember the night we won at Brentford, waiting for the result on the radio under the blankets listening to Radio Luxembourg until the BBC news and Sport at 11 o'clock. Absolute magic.

Matched by the atmosphere at a jam packed BP in 1972 versus Exeter when we needed a point to be champions and won 3-0.

Nothing beats your first promotion, I hope the lads get to experience it because there really is no feeling like it in football.

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 63
diehardmariner
March 11, 2015, 11:42am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.99
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,544
Gold Stars: 537
89-90 I had been taken to a few games but didn't see any fixtures near the end of the season.  
90-91 went to almost all home games and remember the euphoria of the Exeter win but definitely didn't appreciate the importance.

97-98 I can't ever remember doubting we would get promotion.  From October we were just incredible and ripped so many teams to pieces, which probably didn't help the confidence/arrogance that promotion was ever in doubt.  People talk about the nerves late on in the Northampton game especially with all the added time.  I don't remember ever feeling concerned, even going up against Fulham in the semi's.

05-06 I had the same cocksure attitude as 97-98 in that I just didn't see us not getting promoted.  From the second game of the season away at Bristol Rovers when we turned it round late on from 1-0 down to win 2-1 with Mildenhall going crazy in front of the away fans, I just felt we were untouchable.  Even the home defeat to Wycombe just after New Year didn't change that mindset, nor the subsequent dip in form or even the hammering away at Lincoln. In fact my belief probably grew stronger.  Away at Notts County we had Gary Cohen at right-back, Tom Newey centre-back and Paul Bolland right wing picking up a 1-0 win, I couldn't see us not going up at this point.

It was away at Leyton Orient with a couple of games to where it finally hit home we wouldn't go up.  I think I'm right in saying that a win would have more or less guaranteed us promotion, or at least put is in a very strong position.  Goodfellow misses a sitter late on and then hits the bar with an audacious chip.  I remember sitting in the stand at Brisbane Road that day with my head in my hands just knowing it wasn't going to happen for us.  A draw against Macclesfield two games later left us needing results to go our way on the final day and then the final day against Northampton we didn't get the result, nor did other games our way.  Even through the play-off games with Lincoln, as enjoyable as they were, I didn't believe we would go up, even more so with Cheltenham getting through.  We had beaten them in both league games so it was almost fate we would fall short when it mattered.  The weeks leading up to the play-offs too many players had dropped off or were carrying injuries.  Our attack was heavily reliant on Reddy's pace and with him carrying an injury it was completely nullified.  Maybe Slade should have protected him a bit more and used Cohen more as back up..

Post Cheltenham game I was dejected but having seen an impressive team built over the previous 20-months, was confident we would go again next season even stronger.  The next few days/weeks would soon shatter that hope.

This time around we've seen two years of going close so it feels more like a need than something that we aspire towards.  I've been critical in the past of Hurst's negative attitude, including his comments to the press, but I think he's got it right in trying to play down our title aspirations.  Avoid putting unnecessary pressure on the players, try to keep ourselves under the radar until late as possible and let the momentum build itself.  

Biggest achievement I can clearly remember as a Town fan was surviving the drop in 01-02 under Groves.  For so long it looked nailed on that we would be down without even a whimper, to turn it round and in such style was unbelievable.  From a team that looked so hopeless to one where everything just clicked and played with such intent and without any fear was brilliant.

Private Message
Reply: 7 - 63
Jarmo.Is.God
March 11, 2015, 11:44am

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.98
Rep Score: +22 / -13
Approval: +6,050
Gold Stars: 86
like some have said, i am 22, and remember losing.

Burton Away
MK Dons JPT Final
Wrexham FA Trophy Final (Still Hurt)
Cheltenham Play Off Final
Gateshead Play-off Semi-Final Really Hurt
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 63
BIGChris
March 11, 2015, 11:59am
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.97
Rep Score: +70 / -24
Approval: +2,654
Gold Stars: 6
I remember having to apply for re-election
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 63
7 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Can you remember what promotion feels like?

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.