Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Aswad Gone Again?!
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 145 Guests

Aswad Gone Again?!

This thread currently has 14,760 views. Print
5 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 Next All Recommend Thread
grimsby pete
March 2, 2015, 3:49pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.81
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,779
Gold Stars: 222
Mackreth played a blinder at Barnet,

So if he can do it there,

He can do it anywhere,

Hang on I feel a song coming on  

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 49
Maringer
March 2, 2015, 4:18pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,398
Gold Stars: 184

Exactly. What winger would be so stupid as to deliberately hang back, make easy short passes inside and backwards and not attack his full back regularly if he wasn't "doing a job"?

Pretty much all the ones I can remember from recent years, truth be told! Wingers tend to get criticised for what they fail to do than what they actually achieve and I can only really remember Rodman from the past few seasons as a winger who almost always attacked the full-back. Of course, his problem was that he never crossed the bloody ball often enough! If you remember back a couple of seasons, Coulson was often criticised for failing to take on his full-back often enough when he was at the club.

I certainly think that Mackreth has been less of a threat for us than I expected when he joined at the start of the season, but I don't necessarily agree that this is down to following team orders. Fundamentally, he doesn't look as quick as the player who caused us so many problems in past seasons and, though nippy, you rarely see him completely outpace any defenders (though he doesn't try often enough, IMO, either).

Ultimately, I think he's a decent enough player at this level though it would be nice if he was able to offer a little more going forward in addition to his workrate.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 49
MuddyWaters
March 2, 2015, 4:45pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,208
Gold Stars: 235

Exactly. What winger would be so stupid as to deliberately hang back, make easy short passes inside and backwards and not attack his full back regularly if he wasn't "doing a job"?

Thing is though, it was understandable when Parslow was RB but now Magnay is back again there is no real need for the winger to be  an auxiliary RB.

Have you had the same conversation with a player (now gone) as I had?
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 49
arryarryarry
March 2, 2015, 4:55pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.72
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,042
Gold Stars: 116
Quoted from grimsby pete
Mackreth played a blinder at Barnet,

So if he can do it there,

He can do it anywhere,

Hang on I feel a song coming on  

You would think so Pete but you would have thought it was a completely different team against Braintree.

Private Message
Reply: 23 - 49
Grimal
March 2, 2015, 6:18pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.90
Rep Score: +19 / -5
Approval: +2,857
Gold Stars: 9
Quoted from Maringer

Pretty much all the ones I can remember from recent years, truth be told! Wingers tend to get criticised for what they fail to do than what they actually achieve and I can only really remember Rodman from the past few seasons as a winger who almost always attacked the full-back. Of course, his problem was that he never crossed the bloody ball often enough! If you remember back a couple of seasons, Coulson was often criticised for failing to take on his full-back often enough when he was at the club.

I certainly think that Mackreth has been less of a threat for us than I expected when he joined at the start of the season, but I don't necessarily agree that this is down to following team orders. Fundamentally,[/b] he doesn't look as quick as the player who caused us so many problems in past seasons[b] and, though nippy, you rarely see him completely outpace any defenders (though he doesn't try often enough, IMO, either).

Ultimately, I think he's a decent enough player at this level though it would be nice if he was able to offer a little more going forward in addition to his workrate.

Thinking about the past seasons Mackreth played against us, who were the  left backs he caused so many problems, could one have been a certain Mr Thomas ?.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 49
Maringer
March 2, 2015, 8:53pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,398
Gold Stars: 184
Not too sure, really. Aswad certainly had plenty of pace so should have been able to cope with him in that respect.

Perhaps I'm just thinking of Lee Ridley getting a complete roasting from Mackreth at BP and assuming he was always good because of that one game!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 49
chaos33
March 2, 2015, 9:00pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +17,862
Gold Stars: 353

Thing is though, it was understandable when Parslow was RB but now Magnay is back again there is no real need for the winger to be  an auxiliary RB.

Depends who we're playing and where, you'd think.

In a 4-4-2 system that Hurst favours then Mackreth doesn't really have any competition for his place. That's not ideal. I think he's done ok personally. I don't really favour 4-4-2, unless we absolutely have to so he probably wouldn't be starting that many games if it was up to me, but what do I know?

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 49
nightrider
March 3, 2015, 9:19am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.29
Rep Score: +4 / -3
Approval: +464
Gold Stars: 10
Townsend was the player who couldn't get near Mackreth. Might as well have played with 10men

Christ you all wanted him sacked a few months ago. 6th place finish and he's now the messiah and can do no wrong  
Update:  I think I've got this right - He was the messiah. He then wasn't. He then was again. Then it turned out he actually wasnt. He turned into one big huge messiah again. Now he's not actually the messiah we thought he was . Now I'm hoping he rises again quickly
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 49
Les Brechin
March 3, 2015, 10:50pm

Posts Per Day: 4.18
Rep Score: +114 / -24
Approval: +12,688
Gold Stars: 174
No sign of Aswad in Woking's squad tonight either.

[img]https://news.images.itv.com/image/file/402260/image_update_img.jpg[/img]
OFFICIAL FUNDRAISER FOR THE BRAIN TUMOUR CHARITY
TOTAL AMOUNT RAISED SINCE AUGUST 2008 £16613.24

LATEST DONATION - FROM DONATION FROM THE FISHY FORUM - AUG 2023 AMOUNT RAISED £170.00

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 49
gary_elton
March 3, 2015, 11:31pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.20
Rep Score: +23 / -6
Approval: +1,243
Gold Stars: 6
They're saving him for Saturday...... secret weapon.....

All my pictures , Seem to fade to black and white.... (Reg Dwight)
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 49
5 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Aswad Gone Again?!

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.