Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: Belfast Town, March 1, 2015, 7:06pm
I notice that he wasn't in Woking's squad yesterday. Anyone know if he's injured, suspended or having "personal problems"? Will he be playing against us?
Posted by: LondonMariner43, March 1, 2015, 8:14pm; Reply: 1
I'm hoping he will play so we can boo him!
Posted by: JMT, March 1, 2015, 9:15pm; Reply: 2
need we say anymore...
[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/2nhAWze.jpg[/IMG]
Posted by: HackneyHaddock, March 1, 2015, 9:31pm; Reply: 3
The guy has been unwell so perhaps not too big a surprise.  We've got bigger things to worry about, like getting promoted starting with a win on Saturday.  We're far removed enough from this to be able to wish him well and just get on with our own season.
Posted by: LH, March 1, 2015, 10:55pm; Reply: 4
But The Fishy was convinced he was making his mental health problem up to get a move?....
Posted by: pizzzza, March 2, 2015, 6:41am; Reply: 5
Definitely one for the ex-GTFC player's thread.
Posted by: 75 (Guest), March 2, 2015, 7:28am; Reply: 6
Shame as Macreth would rip him a new one.
Posted by: lew chaterleys lover, March 2, 2015, 10:12am; Reply: 7
Quoted from 75

I would rather have a fit and well Aswad than Macreth any day of the week.
Posted by: 75 (Guest), March 2, 2015, 11:09am; Reply: 8

Azza is good going forward but I'd much rather have Gregor Robertson defending. Still, it seems Thomas has issues and I wish him well in his recovery.
Posted by: Jarmo.Is.God, March 2, 2015, 11:33am; Reply: 9

interesting as they both play in different positions
Posted by: lew chaterleys lover, March 2, 2015, 11:47am; Reply: 10
Quoted from Jarmo.Is.God

interesting as they both play in different positions

Really? Well I didnt know that. Ive only been going to BP for 55 years and soon I will get the hang of what is a left back is and what is a right winger.

For the avoidance of doubt, if I had a choice to include in my squad a fully fit and committed Aswad then I would, and I would have a better winger than Macreth who has been a major, major disappointment.

Posted by: Lincoln Mariner 56, March 2, 2015, 12:21pm; Reply: 11
Would agree that we miss Azza going forward especially as Arnold tend to play  to 10 yards in from the touchline space that would be great for Azza to bomb into. May be one of the reasons are goals have dried up as he certainly added pace to our attacking options.

Robertson is steady & does not look like he will let us down defensively but we lack pace from midfield and the back when breaking forward, probably why we don't do it very often!!
Posted by: arryarryarry, March 2, 2015, 1:18pm; Reply: 12
Quoted from 75

Apart from probably Barnet away, I can't remember any other time when Mackreth has ripped anyone a new one. ;)
Posted by: 75 (Guest), March 2, 2015, 2:07pm; Reply: 13
Quoted from arryarryarry

Apart from probably Barnet away, I can't remember any other time when Mackreth has ripped anyone a new one. ;)

It's coming Harry! Keep the faith.
Posted by: Maringer, March 2, 2015, 2:10pm; Reply: 14
Quoted from Lincoln Mariner 56
Would agree that we miss Azza going forward especially as Arnold tend to play  to 10 yards in from the touchline space that would be great for Azza to bomb into. May be one of the reasons are goals have dried up as he certainly added pace to our attacking options.

That's probably why the goals conceded down our left hand side have dried up, as well.  ;)
Posted by: moosey_club, March 2, 2015, 2:54pm; Reply: 15
Perhaps the removal firm he started just before he left here has picked up and he has to "work" Saturdays now.
Posted by: TheRonRaffertyFanClub, March 2, 2015, 3:15pm; Reply: 16
Quoted from arryarryarry

Maybe it's because he's a good boy and does like his boss tells him to do?

Posted by: MuddyWaters, March 2, 2015, 3:18pm; Reply: 17
Quoted from arryarryarry

Seems like he'll find his niche at left-back.
Posted by: Maringer, March 2, 2015, 3:19pm; Reply: 18

Maybe it's because he's a good boy and does like his boss tells him to do?

Obey your boss's instructions? What a crazy concept that is!
Posted by: TheRonRaffertyFanClub, March 2, 2015, 3:46pm; Reply: 19
Quoted from Maringer

Obey your boss's instructions? What a crazy concept that is!

Exactly. What winger would be so stupid as to deliberately hang back, make easy short passes inside and backwards and not attack his full back regularly if he wasn't "doing a job"?

Thing is though, it was understandable when Parslow was RB but now Magnay is back again there is no real need for the winger to be  an auxiliary RB.

Posted by: grimsby pete, March 2, 2015, 3:49pm; Reply: 20
Mackreth played a blinder at Barnet,

So if he can do it there,

He can do it anywhere,

Hang on I feel a song coming on  ;D
Posted by: Maringer, March 2, 2015, 4:18pm; Reply: 21

Exactly. What winger would be so stupid as to deliberately hang back, make easy short passes inside and backwards and not attack his full back regularly if he wasn't "doing a job"?

Pretty much all the ones I can remember from recent years, truth be told! Wingers tend to get criticised for what they fail to do than what they actually achieve and I can only really remember Rodman from the past few seasons as a winger who almost always attacked the full-back. Of course, his problem was that he never crossed the bloody ball often enough! If you remember back a couple of seasons, Coulson was often criticised for failing to take on his full-back often enough when he was at the club.

I certainly think that Mackreth has been less of a threat for us than I expected when he joined at the start of the season, but I don't necessarily agree that this is down to following team orders. Fundamentally, he doesn't look as quick as the player who caused us so many problems in past seasons and, though nippy, you rarely see him completely outpace any defenders (though he doesn't try often enough, IMO, either).

Ultimately, I think he's a decent enough player at this level though it would be nice if he was able to offer a little more going forward in addition to his workrate.
Posted by: MuddyWaters, March 2, 2015, 4:45pm; Reply: 22

Thing is though, it was understandable when Parslow was RB but now Magnay is back again there is no real need for the winger to be  an auxiliary RB.

Have you had the same conversation with a player (now gone) as I had?
Posted by: arryarryarry, March 2, 2015, 4:55pm; Reply: 23
Quoted from grimsby pete
Mackreth played a blinder at Barnet,

So if he can do it there,

He can do it anywhere,

Hang on I feel a song coming on  ;D

You would think so Pete but you would have thought it was a completely different team against Braintree.

Posted by: Grimal, March 2, 2015, 6:18pm; Reply: 24
Quoted from Maringer

Pretty much all the ones I can remember from recent years, truth be told! Wingers tend to get criticised for what they fail to do than what they actually achieve and I can only really remember Rodman from the past few seasons as a winger who almost always attacked the full-back. Of course, his problem was that he never crossed the bloody ball often enough! If you remember back a couple of seasons, Coulson was often criticised for failing to take on his full-back often enough when he was at the club.

I certainly think that Mackreth has been less of a threat for us than I expected when he joined at the start of the season, but I don't necessarily agree that this is down to following team orders. Fundamentally,[/b] he doesn't look as quick as the player who caused us so many problems in past seasons[b] and, though nippy, you rarely see him completely outpace any defenders (though he doesn't try often enough, IMO, either).

Ultimately, I think he's a decent enough player at this level though it would be nice if he was able to offer a little more going forward in addition to his workrate.

Thinking about the past seasons Mackreth played against us, who were the  left backs he caused so many problems, could one have been a certain Mr Thomas ?. ;)

Posted by: Maringer, March 2, 2015, 8:53pm; Reply: 25
Not too sure, really. Aswad certainly had plenty of pace so should have been able to cope with him in that respect.

Perhaps I'm just thinking of Lee Ridley getting a complete roasting from Mackreth at BP and assuming he was always good because of that one game!
Posted by: chaos33, March 2, 2015, 9:00pm; Reply: 26

Depends who we're playing and where, you'd think.

In a 4-4-2 system that Hurst favours then Mackreth doesn't really have any competition for his place. That's not ideal. I think he's done ok personally. I don't really favour 4-4-2, unless we absolutely have to so he probably wouldn't be starting that many games if it was up to me, but what do I know?
Posted by: nightrider, March 3, 2015, 9:19am; Reply: 27
Townsend was the player who couldn't get near Mackreth. Might as well have played with 10men
Posted by: Les Brechin, March 3, 2015, 10:50pm; Reply: 28
No sign of Aswad in Woking's squad tonight either.
Posted by: gary_elton, March 3, 2015, 11:31pm; Reply: 29
They're saving him for Saturday...... secret weapon.....
Posted by: acko338, March 4, 2015, 11:05am; Reply: 30
DID I READ SOMEWHERE THAT HE HASN'T BEEN SEEN THERE FOR 2 WEEKS NOW?
Posted by: pontoonlew, March 5, 2015, 11:41pm; Reply: 31
Why do so many threads on here turn into questioning Mackreth? (Top of our assist charts this season)

You ask Barrow and Macc fans and they loved him. Players don't just get worse over night and I'm of the position that he's made a decent contribution this season and will continue to get better as he has done this season.
Posted by: mimma, March 6, 2015, 12:11am; Reply: 32
Taken from the official Woking site:

"Aswad Thomas, who recently returned to the Cards from Grimsby, is apparently suffering from a knee injury, which kept him out of Woking’s last two games, so will presumably miss Saturday’s game too."

Note the word, "apparently".

Read into that what you want.
Posted by: arryarryarry, March 6, 2015, 12:22am; Reply: 33
Quoted from pontoonlew
Why do so many threads on here turn into questioning Mackreth? (Top of our assist charts this season)

You ask Barrow and Macc fans and they loved him. Players don't just get worse over night and I'm of the position that he's made a decent contribution this season and will continue to get better as he has done this season.

In my opinion Mackreth has been quite poor this season, as for getting better he was very good at Barnet then really poor at home to Braintree.

As for Barrow fans loving Mackreth, they loved Andy Cook and still do, many on here didn't.

Posted by: pontoonlew, March 6, 2015, 10:10am; Reply: 34
I'm not surprised they love Cook still, you just have to look at how many goals he has this season.

As for Mackreth, he's contributed a lot more in the last few months than a certain striker who is seemingly immune from criticism.
Posted by: Maringer, March 6, 2015, 10:15am; Reply: 35
So the thread has moved from discussing our former full-back who departed in suspicious circumstances and immediately found himself a new club, through criticism of our winger and now, as if by magic, onto criticism of our striker!

Quelle fecking surprise.  :-/
Posted by: Garth, March 6, 2015, 10:21am; Reply: 36
Quoted from Maringer
So the thread has moved from discussing our former full-back who departed in suspicious circumstances and immediately found himself a new club, through criticism of our winger and now, as if by magic, onto criticism of our striker!

Aw come on, nobody`s mentioned Hurst yet  ;)
Posted by: ginnywings, March 6, 2015, 10:24am; Reply: 37
Quoted from Maringer

Isn't it a bit like Godwins law?
Posted by: Maringer, March 6, 2015, 10:29am; Reply: 38
Quoted from ginnywings

Isn't it a bit like Godwins law?

Yep, that's certainly true.

When LJL leaves the club, I wonder who the next scapegoat will be?
Posted by: horsforthmariner, March 6, 2015, 10:35am; Reply: 39
Mackriath was woeful to begin with but give him his due he's started hitting his straps now
Posted by: RoboCod, March 6, 2015, 11:35am; Reply: 40
I miss the days when the threads turned into 'What's Jamie Green up to these days?'

I liked him though.
Posted by: gtfc98, March 6, 2015, 12:50pm; Reply: 41
Quoted from pontoonlew
I'm not surprised they love Cook still, you just have to look at how many goals he has this season.

As for Mackreth, he's contributed a lot more in the last few months than a certain striker who is seemingly immune from criticism.

Ross "The Goal Machine" Hannah?
Posted by: ska face, March 6, 2015, 1:12pm; Reply: 42
Quoted from pontoonlew

Immune from criticism? Are you blind?

Serious question - can you actually read?
Posted by: FishOutOfWater, March 6, 2015, 1:48pm; Reply: 43
Quoted from mimma
Taken from the official Woking site:

"Aswad Thomas, who recently returned to the Cards from Grimsby, is apparently suffering from a knee injury, which kept him out of Woking’s last two games, so will presumably miss Saturday’s game too."

Note the word, "apparently".

Read into that what you want.

No (k)need to  ;)
Posted by: jonnyboy82, March 6, 2015, 2:00pm; Reply: 44
Quoted from Maringer

The next striker to miss as many sitters as he does.

Posted by: MuddyWaters, March 6, 2015, 2:46pm; Reply: 45
Quoted from Maringer

Looking forward to finding out  ;)
Posted by: LongEatonMariner, March 6, 2015, 3:04pm; Reply: 46
Quoted from Garth

Aw come on, nobody`s mentioned Hurst yet  ;)

Doh!
Posted by: Maringer, March 6, 2015, 3:08pm; Reply: 47
Quoted from jonnyboy82

The next striker to miss as many sitters as he does.

Ross Hannah?  :P
Posted by: mariner91, March 6, 2015, 3:34pm; Reply: 48
Quoted from pontoonlew

Quoted from pontoonlew

You are a satirical genius.
Posted by: Rodley Mariner, March 6, 2015, 4:19pm; Reply: 49
Quoted from mariner91

You are a satirical genius.

You've got to love the lack of self-awareness!😁
Print page generated: April 20, 2024, 6:44am